Mid Air Hiccup.

Reaction score
I was flying yesterday, went up about 130 meters, and just stopped climbing. Started to yaw left to take some video and the quad went crazy for a scary couple seconds. I wonder if anyone has a guess as to what might cause this.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Afterwords, it flew fine. I brought it down to just a couple of meters over my property so it had a better chance of not breaking the brand new h3-3d gimbal I installed a couple days before.

You can hear the motors kind of die off, but the video transmission didn't look like it lost power. I checked that the battery was securely inserted, and I flew for another 7 or 8 minutes close to the ground and there were no further problems.

Can anything be surmised from the video to hint at a possible cause?

charlie

This is a warning. You better not underestimate this weird behavior and take some precautions. Maybe you should reset the whole phantom.

Hey Charlie, great video and **** good question.

I've got a problem with reading minds lately. Which bird are you flying?

Well, he's got an H3-3D so probably a P2. It looks like a mid-air power failure. We've seen them before but they don't usually recover. Assume you were full power up at the time?

Just a guess, but I suspect the battery was putting out more juice than it can handle and the voltage went south but quickly recovered.

Yes, it's a p2. I had just leveled off so it wasn't full throttle, but just enough to hold altitude.

Now to show my real ignorance.... The only software I know how to reinstall is the pt2 software on the pc. I suspect you are talking about the firmware on the p2 itself, right? How exactly would I go about that?

Is the "hard reset" of the gimbal just a case of cycling the power (off-on). Probably not sinse it's obviously been off since i landed and shot down for the day.

I feel like the tin man in the wizard of oz.

I guess I don't know my oz-ology ether.... Scare crow had no brain... Not tin man.

Maxwell , I'd like to think it WAS only wind, or some others natural anomaly... Just afraid to assume that without taking what ever precautions I can without introducing other issues.

I guess I don't know my oz-ology ether.... Scare crow had no brain... Not tin man.

Maxwell , I'd like to think it WAS only wind, or some others natural anomaly... Just afraid to assume that without taking what ever precautions I can without introducing other issues.

Unless you got hit by a tornado, nope, not wind. Sure sounded like the motors were winding down, real quick.

I agree that it sounds like it lost power. I'd take a look at the battery in the assistant. How many cycles? What do the cells look like? Battery connections clean etc.

As far as a reset of the whole thing, no clue what that is.

Last edited:
I found a notice from DJI that says there is a problem with p2 firmware 3.10 and are suggesting that anyone that has that release goes back to 3.8 (apparently they have made that the most recent updaste).
So, since I was not sure which release I had, I fired up pt2 on the pc, turned on the tx and the p2 and hooked it up and it will not connect. I tried everything I could think of and no go.
I noticed that the battery was down to 1.5 bars and so I stuck it on the charger and also started charging my tx batteries. I am going to wait until tomorrow to try it again.

Don't panic, don't panic, don't panic, don't panic, don't panic,

This my second phanton (first took the long swim), my second go pro, ay third gimbal. If this thing is hosed, I am taking up origami.

1.5 bars should be fine. USB ports on the back of the PC are supposed to be more reliable than the side ones. Does the PC beep when you connect the P2.

No, the PC does not seem to know anything is attached to it. The lights on the p2 flash red continually with on green at all. I was going through a powered usb hub. Tomorrow, I will try the ports on the front of the machine.

On the firmware, there was a problem with 3.12 and DJI pulled it. I think 3.10 is ok, I'm still on 3.08. They just came out with 3.14 which added another no fly zone.

You some smart cookie, mista. I just tested my usb hub and it is ether dead or has come unplugged from the machine in the back (can't get to it to check). So that probably solves the connectivity problem. I guess I could have checked that BEFORE I walked on stage here, but hey....don't want anyone to think I'm bright or something.

On the firmware, there was a problem with 3.12 and DJI pulled it. I think 3.10 is ok, I'm still on 3.08. They just came out with 3.14 which added another no fly zone.

I had to look cause it had been so long since I upgraded or even connected the a/c to the computer... I'm on 3.06!

I think this was the TBE/Mag.Dec. fix???

BIMFR (boy is my face red). The connectivity problem was a bad powered usb hub. Plugged into the front of the computer and it connects like love bugs. Also, I took one of my old batteries and plugged it in to test and realized that it went in and came out MUCH smoother than my newest battery (the one I was flying with). I'll bet that the battery IS the problem. I will see why it is so difficult to get in and out tomorrow. Also I checked my firmware version and am unclear what the screen means. I guess the one I care about is the "main controller" and I am at 3.04 and it says there are no new updates. Not sure were all this 3.10 and 3.08 stuff fits into the picture.

Maybe origami is not in my future.

This thread is fun, and I'm learning sumpin too. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31