Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Yeah sounds like the maxx is the one for you Wolfie! You know I don't think I remember anybody including myself doing a drop off test with these, you mean moving the antenna 90° to one side or the other? I have done that test with the DBS 02 and I could go almost to one side or the other unboosted with the aircraft 2 miles out and barely drop bars, so I can only imagine the maxxrange would be no different. It's pretty **** incredible Unboosted and you definitely don't need a tripod for that one

Correct. I was kinda hesitant to consider panels because I haven't seen any tests that show how severe the directionalaity is.

Thanks DB.

I tried to pick through the thread (no, didn't read every post on every page). I got 10k feet stock P3P this past winter. Now that trees got leaves, that range seems to be down around 4-5k. I am not looking to scoot out to the next city. I was nervous as it was at 2 miles let alone 19. I would like to have a solid lock at 10k' or less in an urban environment. Out 5mi would be cool, but not really my goal.

I have neck problems at times so I don't use neck straps so that was my focus on the weight. I use a diagonal strap on my DSLR (goes across shoulder and diagonally across back and chest town to side hip where the camera hangs) but I don't think that style would work for the P3 remote which kinda needs to hang center chest I would think.

Given those parameters, you think the lighter Maxx would do? Or would the weight of the Horizon have to be dealt with?

And lastly, what sorts of directionality is there to deal with. Did anyone do tests on angular dropoff? Curious just how precise you must point the panel toward the bird. I mean I don't want to have to focus 90% of my brain on pointing the antenna instead of focusing on flying the bird.

Checkout the Inspire 1's harness. I picked one up at microcenter for $10. This guy has a review of it, so you can see it.

Reactions: dirtybum
The 19 1/2 mile terminator run and 14 1/2 mile Maxxrun were both one-way tests.
When I say record run I mean the run that's on the top of the leaderboard for round-trip !
You just love to catch people in contradictions don't you whichAntenna. Probably not for everybody, but for me, whichAntenna, you're kind of taking the fun out of posting here. Making me feel like I don't want to be a part of it no more, you're kind of a "Debbie downer"

Not sure why you would feel that way but I've been confused by your feelings towards my posts in nearly every instance so it doesn't bother me. Again try not to take anything personally, I was simply asking a question as I was confused by your post. Your answer cleared it up for me so thank you, that's all I was asking. If simply answering questions for people gives you this much negative energy perhaps your correct that you shouldn't "be a part of it no more" at least in this capacity. I personally love that results you were getting and the info present in this thread, that's why I decided to join in the first place. Forgive me if it comes off wrong to you but if I have a question such as the one I just asked I'm always going to ask instead of wondering and assuming. Everyone should be able to freely ask questions as that is how knowledge is gained.

Excellent info thank you for sharing! This is the type of stuff I've been looking for and am curious about. To my knowledge you and B_Squared are the only ones who have done a direct comparison to another aftermarket antenna. Maxwell said he also beat his personal best with the Chinese panels but I'm not sure if his previous best was achieved stock or with some other antenna.

Also, just food for thought, but anyone receiving strange or flaky signal lose in areas where you feel you shouldn't may want to check the internal cables for their clean install kit. I personally was seeing strange behavior and after inspecting the internal wires the one on the right side (if you're looking at the front of the controller) was nearly completely severed. I found it amazing I was even able to fly in the condition it was in, but after a quick replacement it solved my strange signal behavior.
Holy crap! Do you think it was a bad cable new in box ir might you have done that during the install?

Checkout the Inspire 1's harness. I picked one up at microcenter for $10. This guy has a review of it, so you can see it.
Target also has them for $6( I thought it was 7 but just ran into my local Target)
Can't beat that. And much better feeling not having the support on your neck.
I use it with the Maxx and soon my 3w sunhans will be weighing in as well :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dirtybum
Holy crap! Do you think it was a bad cable new in box ir might you have done that during the install?
The connection of the wire to the connector is very fragile, so you need to be careful when installing them.

To provide a secure fit so they don't twist and damage the internal connection when screwing the antenna cables on and off, I added a larger washer so the nut seats evenly on the "chrome" ring.
IMG_0485.JPG

This was after replacing the first set of cables which I damaged with the twisting. They don't have to be broken off to have a damaged wire. They still worked for close flights, but distance was limited regardless of which antenna was used.

I actually think this may have happened during the removal of an antenna cable. When I disconnected the cable running from the antenna to the controller that was ever so slight movement of the controller connection point. I suspect that during those small movements the internal cable was rubbing a piece of plastic causing the damage. I didn't perform the initial install as I shipped my controller to have it done so I doubt the install caused it but I guess its possible. I'm still amazed I was able to fly at all like that, the smallest touch possible completely separated the cable as you can see in one of the pics. Literally, you could have blinked and hit the cable with your eyelash and I'm sure it would have broken the connection completely.

The connection of the wire to the connector is very fragile, so you need to be careful when installing them.

To provide a secure fit so they don't twist and damage the internal connection when screwing the antenna cables on and off, I added a larger washer so the nut seats evenly on the "chrome" ring.
View attachment 57882

This was after replacing the first set of cables which I damaged with the twisting. They don't have to be broken off to have a damaged wire. They still worked for close flights, but distance was limited regardless of which antenna was used.

This is exactly what I suspect happened to me! I like your style :) interestingly enough I took the same course of action as yourself and applied larger washers. Seems to be doing the trick so far. You can check out the pic from my setup tonight when I post pics of everything.

Reactions: B_Squared

View attachment 57882

You are right about it being fragile. I had the same problem, no where near as bad as whichantenna's and had to replace my cable too. When I did, I bought some bigger washers (thanks to someone's idea/post on the forum, don't remember who posted it) and this seemed to fix my issue. I had done the clean install myself and think that the rubbing on the piece of plastic and it not being tightened that great due to the small washer is what did it for me.

Reactions: whichAntenna

I installed the clean install kit yesterday and you have to pay attention on that specific connection.

Make sure that you have the wire situated as shown on the Maxx installation video. Second, make sure that you secure the nut well enough that it does not turn when you install the antenna. If it spins the connector, then your wire inside of the controller is spinning too and that can rip the solder joints off and/or sever the connection. I had to open my controller a few times to get it right, but now that I understand what was happening I am sure I could complete the install in much less time than I did.

whichAntenna, would you please post a picture here of your aircraft and your controller/antenna that you use. Then we can at least know that you're a flyer. Thanks a lot. It shouldn't take long for you, I have a dozen of my aircraft and antennas that I can dig up in 30 seconds

Here you go DB, all my current gear.

Attachments

• IMAG0576.jpg
    IMAG0576.jpg
    918.7 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG0577.jpg
    IMAG0577.jpg
    902.1 KB · Views: 371
  • IMAG0579.jpg
    IMAG0579.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 345
  • IMAG0580.jpg
    IMAG0580.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 345
Reactions: seb evans
Db , since your using three amps at the same time and not a dual and a single 5.8 , it would be best to power all these off one 2000 mAH 3S lip ( RF amp protectors in line with each amp is ideal )
the power convertor module on the CTH is running off the Anker power bank to convert 5v to 12v , so its only good to run 1 dual 2 x 1 watt amp due to the current draw.
So i would advise to by pass the Anker and Power module and feed it all this way with one 2200ah mAH 3S Lipo.

When designed the system the power needed was only 2 x 1 watt , when you put this into 2 x 19 dB panels the EIRP will be huge , there is no need to run higher power . The power supply on the CTH was designed to match this , adding another 5.8 GHz RF amp is just adding in a limo ( around 1000 mAh 3S ) for that 5.8 amp.
Hey Will where can I get a RF amp protector then? Do you sell them?
Is this what you're talking about? 1pce SMA 2W male to female RF Coaxial Attenuator DC - 6.0GHz 6dB 50ohm

Hmmm did you that stuff from maxxuav by any chance? Lol
You don't say, I wonder if there's any corporate affiliation! Wouldn't be hard to imagine! But I'm sure he'll come back with an excuse and defense about how he's only looking for the truth! Either way he's already got some great equipment so quit talking trash and post some numbers with it!

Can someone please post the size of those replacement washers? I just broke one of my connections, while taking the Maxx off to install my new amps. I knew this would eventually happen the day I did the initial installation.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You don't say, I wonder if there's any corporate affiliation! Wouldn't be hard to imagine! But I'm sure he'll come back with an excuse and defense about how he's only looking for the truth! Either way he's already got some great equipment so quit talking trash and post some numbers with it!

Not sure if Maxxuav has a test pilot program or not but if they do I'm not apart of it. I had read good things about the clean install kit they offer on here so I decided to go with them for the small dbs panel as well while they had my controller to perform the clean install. I was satisfied with the customer service and quality of work so I decided to return to them for their evo kit and the MaxxRange panel. I would gladly clarify this for anyone and certainly wouldn't take offense for having to do so.

Not sure if Maxxuav has a test pilot program or not but if they do I'm not apart of it. I had read good things about the clean install kit they offer on here so I decided to go with them for the small dbs panel as well while they had my controller to perform the clean install. I was satisfied with the customer service and quality of work so I decided to return to them for their evo kit and the MaxxRange panel. I would gladly clarify this for anyone and certainly wouldn't take offense for having to do so.
I'm not saying that you're a test pilot for them, I'm saying you're the head of them[emoji41]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT