Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Ok i dont have the terminator but i have the china panels and they dont get me as far as my small ITElite panel...just sayin

I think the only way to settle this and lay it rest is you guys rally around, start another thread with a go- fund-Db- for- the -truth campaign (We'll let Kyle be in charge of the funds) and you guys can send me any antenna or battery you want me to test and I'll give each one a full week of my attention. I'll start a post or continuation of that post with all the results and it'll probably grow to a 1000 posts! I'm pretty sure we could even get Will to chip in a little cash[emoji41]

Ha ha ha !!! Now we are talking !!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: whichAntenna
So most of us agree now that the china panels don't perform anywhere close to the Terminator right? I posted results for proof that they didn't do as good as the little itelite panel...I have not seen any other proof And this is DB's thread so lets not bring up china panels no more...only Maxx vs. Terminator is what should be mentioned

Ok i dont have the terminator but i have the china panels and they dont get me as far as my small ITElite panel...just sayin

Excellent info thank you for sharing! This is the type of stuff I've been looking for and am curious about. To my knowledge you and B_Squared are the only ones who have done a direct comparison to another aftermarket antenna. Maxwell said he also beat his personal best with the Chinese panels but I'm not sure if his previous best was achieved stock or with some other antenna.

Also, just food for thought, but anyone receiving strange or flaky signal lose in areas where you feel you shouldn't may want to check the internal cables for their clean install kit. I personally was seeing strange behavior and after inspecting the internal wires the one on the right side (if you're looking at the front of the controller) was nearly completely severed. I found it amazing I was even able to fly in the condition it was in, but after a quick replacement it solved my strange signal behavior.

Attachments

• IMG_3706.jpg
    IMG_3706.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_5067.jpg
    IMG_5067.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 306
Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
So most of us agree now that the china panels don't perform anywhere close to the Terminator right? I posted results for proof that they didn't do as good as the little itelite panel...I have not seen any other proof And this is DB's thread so lets not bring up china panels no more...only Maxx vs. Terminator is what should be mentioned
Thanks Pro, i've done all I can do with testing these two antennas. This thread has been the derailed from that goal many times and it doesn't matter to me where it goes from here and with which antenna necessarily, you'd have to go pretty far back, but you can see from those who have tested these that they're both amazing. If you guys want to continue to test these another antennas I have no problem with it being here, but let's make it about the antennas and not the companies.

whichAntenna, would you please post a picture here of your aircraft and your controller/antenna that you use. Then we can at least know that you're a flyer. Thanks a lot. It shouldn't take long for you, I have a dozen of my aircraft and antennas that I can dig up in 30 seconds

Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout! Is the test my friend and I did at the same time. The MaxxRange and the Governator (aka Chinese panel) were pretty much neck and neck. Our test was done in an urban area, so your mileage may vary. IMO the best tests should be done side by side with multiple birds. Doing so ensures the conditions are the same. Because I have seen first hand that its darn near impossible to do the same identical test in an urban area and get the same results.

whichAntenna, would you please post a picture here of your aircraft and your controller/antenna that you use. Then we can at least know that you're a flyer. Thanks a lot. It shouldn't take long for you, I have a dozen of my aircraft and antennas that I can dig up in 30 seconds

Certainly, I posted a few pics of my controller in my last post. Once I get home from work today I will gladly post more of all my gear. Just a quick rundown of my gear for you in the interim, I fly a P3P with a clean install controller. On the antenna front I have the small DBS and the MaxxRange. For boosters I have the evo kit and its all contained in a nice backpack from ThinkTank.

Reactions: dirtybum
Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout! Is the test my friend and I did at the same time. The MaxxRange and the Governator (aka Chinese panel) were pretty much neck and neck. Our test was done in an urban area, so your mileage may vary. IMO the best tests should be done side by side with multiple birds. Doing so ensures the conditions are the same. Because I have seen first hand that its darn near impossible to do the same identical test in an urban area and get the same results.
I guess maybe you'll have to elaborate on impossible to do the same test in the same area. Because I can fly certain flight paths in urban areas that I've many times, and the interruptions are always in the same spot.

Certainly, I posted a few pics of my controller in my last post. Once I get home from work today I will gladly post more of all my gear. Just a quick rundown of my gear for you in the interim, I fly a P3P with a clean install controller. On the antenna front I have the small DBS and the MaxxRange. For boosters I have the evo kit and its all contained in a nice backpack from ThinkTank.
Sounds like a nice set up, can't wait to see the pics. Do you have any intentions of doing a maxx vs Chinese panel? Much like pro did with his DBS 02 versus Chinese.
Yes, the maxxrange is not the terminator, but since you don't own the terminator and clearly don't intend to, you could easily do the test against the maxxrange.

Reactions: B_Squared
Terminator 900g
Maxxrange 590g

These are numbers I read here on the forum and are approximate, I have not weighed them myself

Wow! Thats a heck of a difference in weight! I would think the MaxRange would be the choice based on comfort level and since its performance was virtually identical, would that be the deciding factor?

What about build quality between the two. Durability should be high on a desire list no?

Sounds like a nice set up, can't wait to see the pics. Do you have any intentions of doing a maxx vs Chinese panel? Much like pro did with his DBS 02 versus Chinese.
Yes, the maxxrange is not the terminator, but since you don't own the terminator and clearly don't intend to, you could easily do the test against the maxxrange.

It's certainly possible once I get some funds together as I currently do not own the Chinese Panels. The results I was looking for here were going to influence my purchase of either the Chinese Panels or Terminator. Since, as you previously mentioned, topics quickly became derailed I decided to purchase a completely different antenna setup all together until more conclusive results were available for Chinese vs Terminator. Don't want to ruin the surprise as they are set to ship on the 27th and I plan on posting the results here once I receive them, but based on Maxwell's earlier posts I think its something that at the very least he would enjoy.

I guess maybe you'll have to elaborate on impossible to do the same test in the same area. Because I can fly certain flight paths in urban areas that I've many times, and the interruptions are always in the same spot.
Conditions are always different in my area... Wind and signal interference. I don't always have the same spots that interfere and it is never calm. Do you not think that doing the same test with 2 birds at the same time with different antennas is not a good idea? I thought that was a true test with identical conditions.
On a side note, my friend that tested the Chinese panel with me only has the db2 panel. So I could do a test with the db2 and the Chinese panel. The reason I didn't do it to begin with is because I wanted to compare the more expensive Maxxrange with the cheapo Chinese panel. He did want to do a test with the db2 against the Maxxrange but I haven't had the opportunity.

Wow! Thats a heck of a difference in weight! I would think the MaxRange would be the choice based on comfort level and since its performance was virtually identical, would that be the deciding factor?

What about build quality between the two. Durability should be high on a desire list no?
The Maxx is definitely a lot lighter!
Their built differently with the maxx being a cute light streamlined looking package. The terminator is heavy, rugged and looks like you could run over it with a truck tire. They are both similar but earlier tests proved that the terminator has a stronger signal. For most of you flying out 5 miles you won't notice the difference. For some of you flying out three miles and dropping out behind objects you might want the stronger antenna. In the same conditions and same path the terminator went 19 1/2 miles, the maxxlost signal at 14 1/2 miles! At 14 1/2 miles the terminator still have full bars, I've already posted the screenshots to back that up. Now nobody including myself intends on going for 14 miles, but you can only imagine that signal strength is going to convert over to shorter distances dropping behind objects or flying in heavily congested areas.
That being said, I used the maxx range for my record run, and also for a dozen 10 mile flights in the last month

Their built differently with the maxx being a cute light streamlined looking package. The terminator is heavy, rugged and looks like you could run over it with a truck tire. They are both similar but earlier tests proved that the terminator has a stronger signal. For most of you flying out 5 miles you won't notice the difference. For some of you flying out three miles and dropping out behind objects you might want the stronger antenna. In the same conditions and same path the terminator went 19 1/2 miles, the maxxlost signal at 14 1/2 miles! At 14 1/2 miles the terminator still have full bars, I've already posted the screenshots to back that up. Now nobody including myself intends on going for 14 miles, but you can only imagine that signal strength is going to convert over to shorter distances dropping behind objects or flying in heavily congested areas.
That being said, I used the maxx range for my record run, and also for a dozen 10 mile flights in the last month

Perhaps I'm confused but from what I read this seems to be a contradiction. Here you state the Terminator has the stronger signal and went for a greater distance "19 1/2 miles, the maxxlost signal at 14 1/2 miles! At 14 1/2 miles the terminator still have full bars" yet here you say the MaxxRange was used for your record run "That being said, I used the maxx range for my record run" So are you saying the MaxxRange is now better? Also if the MaxxRange was used for your record run did you make it further than 19 1/2 miles? If so, how far did you make it?

Thanks DB.

I tried to pick through the thread (no, didn't read every post on every page). I got 10k feet stock P3P this past winter. Now that trees got leaves, that range seems to be down around 4-5k. I am not looking to scoot out to the next city. I was nervous as it was at 2 miles let alone 19. I would like to have a solid lock at 10k' or less in an urban environment. Out 5mi would be cool, but not really my goal.

I have neck problems at times so I don't use neck straps so that was my focus on the weight. I use a diagonal strap on my DSLR (goes across shoulder and diagonally across back and chest town to side hip where the camera hangs) but I don't think that style would work for the P3 remote which kinda needs to hang center chest I would think.

Given those parameters, you think the lighter Maxx would do? Or would the weight of the Horizon have to be dealt with?

And lastly, what sorts of directionality is there to deal with. Did anyone do tests on angular dropoff? Curious just how precise you must point the panel toward the bird. I mean I don't want to have to focus 90% of my brain on pointing the antenna instead of focusing on flying the bird.

Reactions: B_Squared
Perhaps I'm confused but from what I read this seems to be a contradiction. Here you state the Terminator has the stronger signal and went for a greater distance "19 1/2 miles, the maxxlost signal at 14 1/2 miles! At 14 1/2 miles the terminator still have full bars" yet here you say the MaxxRange was used for your record run "That being said, I used the maxx range for my record run" So are you saying the MaxxRange is now better? Also if the MaxxRange was used for your record run did you make it further than 19 1/2 miles? If so, how far did you make it?
The 19 1/2 mile terminator run and 14 1/2 mile Maxxrun were both one-way tests.
When I say record run I mean the run that's on the top of the leaderboard for round-trip !
You just love to catch people in contradictions don't you whichAntenna. Probably not for everybody, but for me, whichAntenna, you're kind of taking the fun out of posting here. Making me feel like I don't want to be a part of it no more, you're kind of a "Debbie downer"

Reactions: Digdat0
Thanks DB.

I tried to pick through the thread (no, didn't read every post on every page). I got 10k feet stock P3P this past winter. Now that trees got leaves, that range seems to be down around 4-5k. I am not looking to scoot out to the next city. I was nervous as it was at 2 miles let alone 19. I would like to have a solid lock at 10k' or less in an urban environment. Out 5mi would be cool, but not really my goal.

I have neck problems at times so I don't use neck straps so that was my focus on the weight. I use a diagonal strap on my DSLR (goes across shoulder and diagonally across back and chest town to side hip where the camera hangs) but I don't think that style would work for the P3 remote which kinda needs to hang center chest I would think.

Given those parameters, you think the lighter Maxx would do? Or would the weight of the Horizon have to be dealt with?

And lastly, what sorts of directionality is there to deal with. Did anyone do tests on angular dropoff? Curious just how precise you must point the panel toward the bird. I mean I don't want to have to focus 90% of my brain on pointing the antenna instead of focusing on flying the bird.
Yeah sounds like the maxx is the one for you Wolfie! You know I don't think I remember anybody including myself doing a drop off test with these, you mean moving the antenna 90° to one side or the other? I have done that test with the DBS 02 and I could go almost to one side or the other unboosted with the aircraft 2 miles out and barely drop bars, so I can only imagine the maxxrange would be no different. It's pretty **** incredible Unboosted and you definitely don't need a tripod for that one

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arthurbiss