ADV vs. Standard w/Antenna Mod

Wow so with you running 9000 feet on the p3s when did video feed start to become choppy and cut out or was it at the 9k point

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow so with you running 9000 feet on the p3s when did video feed start to become choppy and cut out or was it at the 9k point

It usually gets pretty choppy near the end (wherever that may be in that location), and then it just goes blank. I then click the S2 switch back and forth a few times and start RTH BLIND!

When originally released the P3A was listed as having a 1080 camera but with firmware 1.4 or above the camera became 2.7K capable.

WHAT ? They're claiming the Advanced with extra battery on Amazon only has 1080P camera? I thought it was supposed to be 2.7K .... Look ...
Amazon.com : DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Quadcopter Drone Bundle with Extra Battery : Camera & Photo

But this one without extra battery has the 2.7K . I didn't know they even had the different camera options.
Amazon.com : DJI Phantom 3 Advanced Quadcopter Drone with 2.7K HD Video Camera : Camera & Photo

did some range testing on P3S stock and with the dbs mod before i returned it for the P3A. i had somewhat similar numbers.

P3S Stock - 4000 ft (normally 3500 ft)
P3S DBS - 11,000 ft (normally 10,000 ft)
P3A (no windsurfer, Channel 32 though) - 20, 600 ft (had full signal, battery was only issue)

Thanks Jay, you and I are in the same boat...it may be hard to go back to my P3S. Maybe keep it for the kid if I don't sell it. ;)

20K feet??? Crazy...I guess other than the windsurfer the obvious next mod would be Channel 32. I'd better read up.

Wow that's a big difference even with an antenna mod lol. Makes me think about selling mines and going to grab a adv. I think I may just wait for the p4 to come out to get light bridge. Just be satisfied with a dbs mod

Wow that's a big difference even with an antenna mod lol. Makes me think about selling mines and going to grab a adv. I think I may just wait for the p4 to come out to get light bridge. Just be satisfied with a dbs mod

Ya, I agree...I actually was thinking of waiting for the P4 but got a killer deal on the Advanced ($649) so could justify buying it now and don't regret it at all. At the sale price of $799 I was even considering it-but definitely NOT at $999 (that's double the Standard). I just happened to luck out on the $649 refurbished deal that turn out to be a NEW Advanced when it arrived instead.

Thanks Jay, you and I are in the same boat...it may be hard to go back to my P3S. Maybe keep it for the kid if I don't sell it. ;)

20K feet??? Crazy...I guess other than the windsurfer the obvious next mod would be Channel 32. I'd better read up.

I love the P3S, i just figured i would want to keep upgrading it and end up spending more than just buying the P3A at the discounted price. and my buddy ended up buying my dbsmods antenna from me so it worked out nicely for me.

yeah i usually do channel 32 cuz theres no interference and i just put it on the lowest image quality when going for distance. 20k was scary as hell, didnt think i would have enough battery but i landed with 17%.

Isn't the live feed always transmitted at 720p??? Can you change that??

I love the P3S, i just figured i would want to keep upgrading it and end up spending more than just buying the P3A at the discounted price. and my buddy ended up buying my dbsmods antenna from me so it worked out nicely for me.

yeah i usually do channel 32 cuz theres no interference and i just put it on the lowest image quality when going for distance. 20k was scary as hell, didnt think i would have enough battery but i landed with 17%.
Ok, thanks just did the 32 channel mod for both my iPhone and Nexus 7. Do you typically pick the tallest stable (green) bar or an empty one that has no activity?

Agree about the modding thing, but I really wasn't sure about real world conditions with Lightbridge because of all the talk of inadequate range I've been seeing over on the ADV/PRO boards.

So, had to find out for myself...total myth. Lightbridge crushes. I can easily get over a mile stock (over 5,000') from my dense residential neighborhood with the Advanced.

Vs. Stock P3S about 1500' adding DBS or FPVLR on the P3S about 3,000-4,000'.

Still the P3S was a good deal with the mod when Advanced was $999, but not so much now since it would be only $200 more (if you add the mod to the P3S).

Ok, thanks just did the 32 channel mod for both my iPhone and Nexus 7. Do you typically pick the tallest stable (green) bar or an empty one that has no activity?

Agree about the modding thing, but I really wasn't sure about real world conditions with Lightbridge because of all the talk of inadequate range I've been seeing over on the ADV/PRO boards.

So, had to find out for myself...total myth. Lightbridge crushes. I can easily get over a mile stock (over 5,000') from my dense residential neighborhood with the Advanced.

Vs. Stock P3S about 1500' adding DBS or FPVLR on the P3S about 3,000-4,000'.

Still the P3S was a good deal with the mod when Advanced was $999, but not so much now since it would be only $200 more (if you add the mod to the P3S).

The one with no activity, usually channels in the 20s and the 30s are good. lower the image quality when going for distance, itll allow you to go further.

and yeah i dont understand how some people in the adv/pro side are getting less than the p3s range.

i was about to buy boosters for my p3s but the p3a went on sale the same day i was about to put the order in.

The one with no activity, usually channels in the 20s and the 30s are good. lower the image quality when going for distance, itll allow you to go further.

and yeah i dont understand how some people in the adv/pro side are getting less than the p3s range.

i was about to buy boosters for my p3s but the p3a went on sale the same day i was about to put the order in.
Ok, thanks will give that a try. I noticed the image quality slider too-but I read somewhere it was only variable (or actually worked) on the PRO since the PRO is listed as having up to 10Mbs video quality for the Live View and the ADV was locked at like 4 or 2 Mbs or something?

You're right about the boosters for the P3S, that would definitely make it a contender to the P3A/P as far as range goes, but then you're talking $499 + $350=$850 when all is said and done. I was on the fence for the ADV at $799 but jumped on the "refurb" offer at $649. Got my P3S around Black Friday for the $499 and at the time the Advanced was $999 so it was a no brainer for my first GPS quad to get the P3S!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.