Mavic Release Discussion

Good points NL, although I preordered a Mavic, I know there's going to be issues. Each and every new product must go through a public testing period before kinks are worked out. I recall the excitement about the P4 when first announced, I owned a P3P at the time and swore I wouldn't jump on the "new" bird until a pro model or some advanced unit surfaced. Well, DJI suprised me as well as others by sticking with only this one model and I ended up selling my P3P and purchasing an Inspire 1 Pro.
Although I love my I1, I missed flying my Phantom yet stuck by the aforementioned and didn't buy a P4. I went as far as buying an Autel X-Star Premium as a second drone but was sadly disappointed and returned it. I believe the P4 is now a proven quad and wouldn't hestitate to own or recommend one. I've been sitting idle on the sidelines thinking what to do next and of course enjoying the heck out of my I1 when suddenly DJI sprung the Mavic on us. Is it perfect, absolutely not however, it does fill a huge void on convenience and for that simple reason, I have to own one. FWIW, I've never owned or flown any drone for business/commercial purposes, just simply for the enjoyment of flying and the great video/pics they deliver.
Hi CCDD, That was an interesting leap of faith jumping in for the Inspire, I would be interested in your opinion of how you like it. I have no doubt about the appeal of the Mavic and would certainly not criticise DJI's quality control and will most likely buy one myself. however, still something bugs me. Is it that DJI have tested its moving parts so many times but in a controlled environment ? If it is small enough to fit in your pocket, for me that would be a disaster as my pockets are usually full of biscuit crumbs and dust. Joking aside, what I think is an important thing to remember is safe flying. If it only takes four seconds to launch the Mavic, I believe there will be a temptation to overlook aspects of safety. When I launch my P4 as you will know there is a little routine to pass through before take-off, it only takes a wee while but that first lift of a metre lets you know props are tight, stability and a host of things. If you have the chance to fly a P4, grab it and let me know what you think. My first bird was a P3, I thought it was great but the P4 is so much better. Like yourself, I fly for pleasure and will have to aspire to afford the Inspire!

DJI stated the Mavic has survived over 5000 cycles of unfolding the arms. It is highly unlikely the arms will fail in its usable lifetime.
It's funny, I'm beginning to sound like sour grapes and I don't mean to. However in another thread I said unfolding the arms in a controlled environment is one thing and taking it out of your car or pocket is another thing. I would probably sit on it or if I look at the flotsam and jetsam of the contents of my pockets, lord knows how long it may last. If I had untold amounts of cash, I have no doubt my order would have already been placed. PS a universal battery would not go amiss, but I guess that's the sugar daddy of the Drone Industry.

My truck is equipped with a 150w 110/120v outlet. No car charger needed. [emoji14] Charge phantom batteries no problem.
Although the car charger will charge 50% faster than the standard charger.

I ordered on the 29th from DJI directly and I just chatted with them. They said my order wont ship until nov 2nd. He also said there was no chance of it shipping before that.

I ordered on the 29th from DJI directly and I just chatted with them. They said my order wont ship until nov 2nd. He also said there was no chance of it shipping before that.

i ordered from apple and got the same info. i hate waiting for something to come out lol. especially with all the youtube videos being posted about it. lol

That sucks big time! Thought I read an article that said release date is Oct 15th. I ordered directly from dji hoping to get it first. Smh

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

However in another thread I said unfolding the arms in a controlled environment is one thing and taking it out of your car or pocket is another thing. I would probably sit on it or if I look at the flotsam and jetsam of the contents of my pockets, lord knows how long it may last.
So don't stuff it in your pocket. Problem solved. ;)

Reactions: flpholt
I know someone getting it on oct 16 will tell you how it is

Ordered via Jessops in the U.K. As they where saying shipping mid October. Just checked tonight and it's changed to shipping November so I chatted to someone on live chat at Jessops and they say DJI have been overwhelmed about the demand and shipping has been pushed back so I've cancelled the order with the. . My problem is, I go to South Africa for a holiday on the 3rd of November so I'm cutting it very fine to take it with me. They did say at launch Apple will have them in stores on the 2nd so it looks like that's my only choice. Fingers crossed! Anyone have any other ideas?

Jessops?! Didn't they go bust a while back? I wouldn't risk my money on anyone like that.
Try quadcopters uk, see if they can give any info, and they're a proper dji dealer so at least if you've any queries with it you don't need to feel bad asking for tech support.

I may just wait until restock happens and buy from a third party that throws in a free battery

So I am wondering about this Power bank adapter. According to DJI you can connect an Intelligent Fight Battery to your phone....
But can you do this while the phone is physically connected with the RC?

My problem with my iPhone is that in cold weather it just dies out on me while flying without being connected to a power bank. My P3Standard uses Wi-Fi so it's easy to hook up a power bank (i have many) to the phones lightning connector.
How will it be with Mavic?

How did you 'chat' to them? Is there a number or what? I am in Spain until end October and so I ordered to my address here figuring it'd have two weeks to get here, but if shipping is delayed I won't even be in the same country....
I did order on the 27th but I'd like to know how to confirm a ballpark shipping date?

Edit: Just found 'chat with us' on their store...

...and in the chat they told me my order would be shipping on the 11/01...

Last edited:
Hey all
Im due an upgrade on my phone and have read the Mavic uses wi fi so Im stuck on what data allowance to get with the new phone.5GB or 10GB? Any suggestions?
Do you think 10GB is a bit over the top? Or do you have a choice to not use use wi fi when flying like my P3 pro?
Thanks

Hey all
Im due an upgrade on my phone and have read the Mavic uses wi fi so Im stuck on what data allowance to get with the new phone.5GB or 10GB? Any suggestions?
Do you think 10GB is a bit over the top? Or do you have a choice to not use use wi fi when flying like my P3 pro?
Thanks
The 'Wifi mode' of the Mavic is just between it and your phone, used for control and camera; it does not access any internet data.

Reactions: Joey Drone
Hey all
You don't need any data to fly any DJI drone.

Reactions: Joey Drone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl