Mavic Release Discussion

I've noticed that too. I've seen a couple of online videos that weren't that impressive. But, you can't judge by online videos. I'm sure the Mavic camera video is of the same quality as the P4, P4...

TOS is saying that it's just focusing errors by the users, that they didn't realize they have to set the proper "infinity" focusing setting, and that the same happened with the X5 at the beginning. Hope that's true!

Count me in on this new bird!!! I can't wait to travel the world with this little "gem" tucked safely and hidden in my suitcase without the worry of some corrupt airport security prick busting my balls for no reason whatsoever. This truly opens up a whole new world to traveling without concern of size and / or extra baggage needed. FWIW, I'll still keep my Inspire 1 Pro as it still delivers quite the thrill each time I fly it.

Reactions: Fplvert
TOS is saying that it's just focusing errors by the users, that they didn't realize they have to set the proper "infinity" focusing setting, and that the same happened with the X5 at the beginning. Hope that's true!
Check out this video at 8:45 is this what your talking about?
Clip2net_160928080547.png

Last edited:
why would anyone buy a phantom 4 compared with this?? What does the Phantom 4 do better?
Absolutely nothing -- as far as I can tell. Personally, I'm just a bit miffed that I dropped the cash on the P4. Had I known this would be released in October, I definitely would have waited.

As someone who has been questioned by 2 FAA agents that walked up on me while I was flying and tried their hardest to get me on any rule violation I have to say I will not buy a Mavik as it would not offer very good line of sight distance because of how small it is. If you live in the USA watch out, the FAA is cracking down!

Thanks for the heads-up, but the FAA can kiss my backside.

Absolutely nothing -- as far as I can tell. Personally, I'm just a bit miffed that I dropped the cash on the P4. Had I known this would be released in October, I definitely would have waited.
I get the feeling we'll be miffed we bought the Mavic in 6 or 7 months.

Reactions: Blax and Biggle
youre kidding wright? phantom 4 will be more stable in heavy winds size matters dude.
Just my opinion, but I highly doubt the P4 would be significantly more stable in high winds -- maybe a little, but certainly not enough to sway a buying decision.

To me, the Mavic just completely replaced the Phantom as the DJI consumer drone. Frankly, I'd rather have the Mavic than an Inspire.

Reactions: flpholt
I get the feeling we'll be miffed we bought the Mavic in 6 or 7 months.

That's a very good point. I love the innovation we're seeing in the industry, but it's almost going too fast at this point. I buy a new iPhone every 2 years, and that's perfectly good enough. With drones, you almost have to buy a new model every year just to keep up. With my luck, I'd buy this Mavic Pro, and 6 months later, they release a Mavic 2 that's significantly better.

From what I have seen, the images as not nearly as sharp as the p4 however the Mavik didn't get props in the video even in full forward flight in sports mode

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

That's a very good point. I love the innovation we're seeing in the industry, but it's almost going too fast at this point. I buy a new iPhone every 2 years, and that's perfectly good enough. With drones, you almost have to buy a new model every year just to keep up. With my luck, I'd buy this Mavic Pro, and 6 months later, they release a Mavic 2 that's significantly better.

I don't think it is any coincidence they named it the Mavik "Pro" The last time DJI announced a product with the "Pro" designation they followed it with less expensive inferior product to complete the lineup (Phantom 3 Professional>Phantom 3 Advanced>Phantom 3 Standard) I suspect there will be a Mavik advanced before they release they Mavik 2

From what I have seen, the images as not nearly as sharp as the p4 however the Mavik didn't get props in the video even in full forward flight in sports mode

I find it nearly impossible to believe that the camera on the Mavic is inferior to the one on the P4. That just doesn't make any sense. If anything, I would fully expect it to be better.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but I highly doubt the P4 would be significantly more stable in high winds -- maybe a little, but certainly not enough to sway a buying decision.

To me, the Mavic just completely replaced the Phantom as the DJI consumer drone. Frankly, I'd rather have the Mavic than an Inspire.
Hiya, how can you even compare them, yes it has as much features as the p4 but the mavic is a toy quality feel about it, plastic and very light. P4 is a lot more sturdy and look at the screen on the mavic , even with.a phone way to.small if your looking at it for long periods of time.

It's funny to see how this turned into a P4 vs Mavic thread with people not obviously not knowing what they even want to do with their quad other than having the latest and therefore to their mind the greatest.

I predict lots of Mavics gathering dust after their first crash or inability of their new owners to understand the basics of flying or video editing (let alone filming) after having uploaded in youtube a couple of videos with tilted horizons....

DJI is in for a treat revenue wise...Be it over sales or DJI Care/Repair bills.

One has to remember that not everyone thinks smaller is better. I own the Inspire and next to a Phantom, well.... They're two different animals, much like the Mavic and the Phantom. I've already ordered my Mavic and plan to keep my Inspire as well. Those that currently own a Phantom would be foolish to run out and sell theirs prior to having some "flying" time with the new Mavic.

I find it nearly impossible to believe that the camera on the Mavic is inferior to the one on the P4. That just doesn't make any sense. If anything, I would fully expect it to be better.

Skip ahead to 8:40 if you want to go directly to image comparisons:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures