Mavic Release Discussion

I only recently started to be interested in drones. Going to by one next year for my Route 66 trip in April. I went from a 'phantom 4 is the one' to a 'wow, kharma is amazing!' to a 'Mavic is perfect for what I want' in just a week!

Wondering how many more times am I going to change my mind in the next 7 months ..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Well, by the time April comes the next generation Phantom will be out and I've no doubt it will make many Mavik owners wish they'd waited.
And then after a few months the next Mavik will come out and many Phantom owners will wish THEY'd waited.
Wash, rinse, repeat ... you know?

its pretty good for the sensor size, unless you just use it for "real" video making in which case, the P3/P4/inspire are better indeed.
If you just use it to film holiday trips and stuff like the very vast majority of us, this quality is totally fine. Its basically like a gp5black

I only recently started to be interested in drones. Going to by one next year for my Route 66 trip in April. I went from a 'phantom 4 is the one' to a 'wow, kharma is amazing!' to a 'Mavic is perfect for what I want' in just a week!

Wondering how many more times am I going to change my mind in the next 7 months ..

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Hahaha...like me, I just buy one of each of the WOWs and return the least best one..if of course they have a decent return and money back guarantee like the SOLO had, so I kept my P3P because it rock solid, I'm hoping the MAV is as rock solid as the video review since I just pre ordered.crossing my fingers..

Well, by the time April comes the next generation Phantom will be out and I've no doubt it will make many Mavik owners wish they'd waited.
And then after a few months the next Mavik will come out and many Phantom owners will wish THEY'd waited.

New Inspire comes out in less than two months. I'm excited for that.

After watching this: [
I will stay with my P3P and wait what's coming in 2017 because image quality leaves a lot to wish for:
Clip2net_160928080547.png
yeah, watching that shows definite reduction in quality, none of the pop the phantoms have. I wonder if it's the lens or encoding. Maybe focus issues again! If this is the case, the phantom is not dead. Be interesting to see photos taken with the two as opposed to video grabs.

totally... the qualcomm drones will come out for xmas maybe as well. These would be smaller than the mavic and potentially same quality, thought reduced flight time. But you know what, at this size/price/quality and we know the DJI software works pretty decently, the Mavic seem like a good buy and will probably be sold out for xmas. Gopro better kill their prices to stay in the game...

I suspect that 2017 (fall) will be the start of the end for DJI vs qualcomm

yeah, watching that shows definite reduction in quality, none of the pop the phantoms have. I wonder if it's the lens or encoding. Maybe focus issues again! If this is the case, the phantom is not dead. Be interesting to see photos taken with the two as opposed to video grabs.
digitalrev mentions the sensor size is reduced. that means the video quality wont be as good as the P4 no matter what. But you're looking at a 100% crop. If you look at the video, the mavic looks very good, as good as gopro drones (though the P3/P4/Inspire all look better than that, its not a deal breaker imo. if camera was as good it would have been the icing on the cake though!)

digitalrev mentions the sensor size is reduced.
they are the same size sensors: 1/2.3”

I think the normal video looks bad myself in comparison, of course depends what you want. high quality images mean a lot to me thats all.

Will need to wait until the production ones are out in the wild, this one could have been knocked out of focus for all we know,

I think the normal video looks bad myself in comparison, of course depends what you want. high quality images mean a lot to me thats all.

Will need to wait until the production ones are out in the wild, this one could have been knocked out of focus for all we know,
You're right, they corrected in the description of the video now

ABOUT IMAGE QUALITY: We'd like to make a correction regarding a mistake about sensor size difference at 9:01. The Mavic has the same sensor size as the Phantom 4. The image quality of the Mavic Pro is impressive, but zooming into 100% crop shows a slight difference in term of image quality, with the Phantom 4 being slightly sharper.

On another board, comments (generally all favorable) are flying fast and furious. There's speculation that Karma might be DOA. No one (certainly not me) saw any of this coming. If the Mavic does what it says it'll, do, then for the price point, all I can say is OMG! And if I wanted to guarantee a divorce, I'd let my wife know what I was thinking right now,.

My wife messages me this morning with "don't even think about it"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only see a few improvements really:
- the "getting ready" process in less than what, 5 seconds? My p3p takes at least a minute.
- I take a towel with a figure or an H for example, take the drone off, I go surfing and after 27 min the drone lands on that towel safely.
However the things I can't really see that have improved:
- camera (I'm pretty much doing cinematic videos only) I know they say the sensor is supposed to be the same, but images I've seen just don't get to the p4 or p3p level.
- that speed and those propellers, can't stop thinking about how often they'll get into my footage.

Let's hope with our iPhone 6s you can still have the life-proof cover on while using it!!!!!
Time maybe coming for my son to step into the P3A world....up from his P2,that means I'll have to get the mavic...kids they just cost me so much money

I can only see a few improvements really:
- the "getting ready" process in less than what, 5 seconds? My p3p takes at least a minute.
- I take a towel with a figure or an H for example, take the drone off, I go surfing and after 27 min the drone lands on that towel safely.
However the things I can't really see that have improved:
- camera (I'm pretty much doing cinematic videos only) I know they say the sensor is supposed to be the same, but images I've seen just don't get to the p4 or p3p level.
- that speed and those propellers, can't stop thinking about how often they'll get into my footage.

Surfing solo would be cool to try with this. Especially if it's tracking you.

Looks like from this video, the blades don't come into view even in Sport Mode.
<iframe width="500" height="300" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lens seems dirty to me as well.

Yup, and all of this is normal, I find all of this tech amazing, and can't wait to see what comes next!

All in all bitching about P4vsKarmavsMavic and the likes is pointless. I think each product holds its place. The Phantom 4 is six months old, and has a different audience, the line is blurred and the market is settling in but the technological advances to be seen in the next months let alone years will be amazing.

A bit out of topic but a nice vid I saw the other day (and it ain't even new!):

What is becoming available at the tip of our fingertips (because let's face it, even if the price seems right, it's STILL a lot of money) is just incredible...

Now that, is absoulutely insane~! Brilliant post!

Wonder if Mavcs is "waterproof"? So you can fly around in the rain if you want.
You can fly with the camera cover on if you like. the imagequality probably wont be so good with rain on it though :p

Just ordered the combo for 2200 AUD (1686 USD). Heading off on a 6 week motorbike trip end of November so the Mavic will be perfect - transportable, well over an hour of flight time with the extra batteries AND I can charge it from the 12v socket on my bike.

Just ordered the combo for 2200 AUD (1686 USD). Heading off on a 6 week motorbike trip end of November so the Mavic will be perfect - transportable, well over an hour of flight time with the extra batteries AND I can charge it from the 12v socket on my bike.
Any idea when it's likely to be shipped. I'm flying to Canada 1st November so will likely pick one up from Best Buy over there.

Any idea when it's likely to be shipped. I'm flying to Canada 1st November so will likely pick one up from Best Buy over there.
I purchased mine from a local shop. They say all going well (ie. no hold ups at customs) they should have them in stock mid-October the same time DJI will start selling.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl