• Mavic Pro

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Phantom 4

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Pantom 4 Pro

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Been researching and watching youtube videos for weeks now, but I'm struggling to land on which drone would best suit me, the Mavic Pro, P4, or P4 Pro. So I was hoping I could hear from a few of you and get your input on your experiences, pros cons, etc. on each.

I'll be using the drone mostly as a hobbyist I suppose. However, I do plan to use the footage to sell to some of my friends / a few small clients, so I do care about the quality of images, and I see that's where the P4 Pro is superior. I would also like to use it for some action shots. For example flying over motocross tracks and using the track feature to follow my bike around. I'd also like to potentially use it for wakeboarding / snowboarding footage.

I'm also a small business owner and would like to use it to create some marketing campaigns. To get live action footage of outdoor events etc. I have a Iphone 7, Ipad Mini, and a 2017 MacBook Pro available to use as possible remotes and for downloading / editing. I won't be traveling, so portability isn't a huge deal and I know that's where the Mavic Pro shines.

I've been leaning towards the Mavic Pro, but worry it won't produce very good action footage? I've seen a ton of comparison videos online, but can't lock in which is best for me.

Money aside, which would you buy and why??
Thanks everyone!

I have the P3P, P4, P4P, and Mavic. The Mavic has 15 flights on it. I'm selling it for $1000, it's the fly more kit, with a small backpack and a cover that protects the RC with iPad attached, which fits inside the backpack. 3 batteries, Battery > USB charger, 4Xhub charger. Flies good, pristine. If you want my iPad Mini2 cellular 64GB, I'll include that for another $250. It's been dedicated to flying the Mavic, I leave it attached to the Mavic RC.

The P4P isn't as small as Mavic, granted, but P4P is simply more capable camera-wise versus Mavic. However, Mavic is nice for vacation traveling and mountain biking, it's very light and small.

Do not get a P4, the RC is not up to par, you won't be happy with the range, here's my findings. That's the reason I fly my P4 with an Inspire GL658A controller.

I have the Inspire 1 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic Pro, and Spark. I fly the Mavic most just because it is good enough quality most of the time and is so convenient. The P4P takes much better photos and video if I'm doing some serious filming. The Inspire and Spark don't see a lot of flight time these days.

I have the P3P, P4, P4P, and Mavic. The Mavic has 15 flights on it. I'm selling it for $1000, it's the fly more kit, with a small backpack and a cover that protects the RC with iPad attached, which fits inside the backpack. 3 batteries, Battery > USB charger, 4Xhub charger. Flies good, pristine. If you want my iPad Mini2 cellular 64GB, I'll include that for another $250. It's been dedicated to flying the Mavic, I leave it attached to the Mavic RC.

The P4P isn't as small as Mavic, granted, but P4P is simply more capable camera-wise versus Mavic. However, Mavic is nice for vacation traveling and mountain biking, it's very light and small.

Do not get a P4, the RC is not up to par, you won't be happy with the range, here's my findings. That's the reason I fly my P4 with an Inspire GL658A controller.

Still for sale john ?
Would it ship to Australia ?

I have the Inspire 1 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic Pro, and Spark. I fly the Mavic most just because it is good enough quality most of the time and is so convenient. The P4P takes much better photos and video if I'm doing some serious filming. The Inspire and Spark don't see a lot of flight time these days.

Almost all reviewers out there highlight exactly this and miss another very important point, flight performance.

In the air, my P4P feels locked-in / rock solid; I have no qualms about taking it up, even on rough/windy days. It packs a punch when called upon, ability to switch bands (2.4 or 5.8Ghz) and the added piece of mind of selectable ATTI mode.

The Mavic in comparison feels more like the little train that could. It's OK; it tries really hard to perform and in most scenarios this is enough.

The weakest part of the Mavic (IMO -- aside of the sensor) is the gimbal; it's quite delicate and quite sensitive to high gusts, aggressive maneuvers.

The weakest part of the P4P is its size. It's a tank in comparison and I absolutely hate logging it around (even in its own dedicated backpack).

For me, the mavic is my every day drone I take everywhere, while the P4P is the beast I let loose when I feel particularity artsy, need very good footage, or just want to let it rip across the sky -- it's also pretty loud.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. Been researching and watching youtube videos for weeks now, but I'm struggling to land on which drone would best suit me, the Mavic Pro, P4, or P4 Pro. So I was hoping I could hear from a few of you and get your input on your experiences, pros cons, etc. on each.

I'll be using the drone mostly as a hobbyist I suppose. However, I do plan to use the footage to sell to some of my friends / a few small clients, so I do care about the quality of images, and I see that's where the P4 Pro is superior. I would also like to use it for some action shots. For example flying over motocross tracks and using the track feature to follow my bike around. I'd also like to potentially use it for wakeboarding / snowboarding footage.

I'm also a small business owner and would like to use it to create some marketing campaigns. To get live action footage of outdoor events etc. I have a Iphone 7, Ipad Mini, and a 2017 MacBook Pro available to use as possible remotes and for downloading / editing. I won't be traveling, so portability isn't a huge deal and I know that's where the Mavic Pro shines.

I've been leaning towards the Mavic Pro, but worry it won't produce very good action footage? I've seen a ton of comparison videos online, but can't lock in which is best for me.

Money aside, which would you buy and why??
Thanks everyone!

One aspect that is not spoken about is the number of software crashes from using the DJI software on the phone compared to using the Phantom 4 Pro Plus controller which has been flawless for us so far. It is very stressful to have the software on your phone crash while you are flying in the air so do not take it lightly that you have a much better flight when you have confidence in your software not crashing. You also mention that you might want to take it near water so you may want to take a look are new Phantom 4 wetsuits which you can find on phantomrain.org . Something you might consider getting with the phantom 4 pro plus.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl