Lost signal - phantam 4 Pro LOST

if you lose GPS signal and it kept flying In atti it's a possibility it found GPS again (if it was still flying and if the switch was still in place for GPS mode) and tried to come home at some point
That's possible. If that happened, the Phantom would have landed on the driveway where it took off since there was plenty of battery power left and it seemed to be flying above all obstacles in the area.

at the speed it was traveling and it had about 20 min of battery left it would have taveled 5.87 miles from last log reading
When the remote controller signal is lost while flying in ATTI mode (what seems to be the case here), the Phantom will start auto landing 3 seconds after the remote controller signal is lost. Unfortunately, we can only assume which way the wind was blowing the Phantom and how fast it was pushing it along. My projected landing area above assumes those stats stayed the same from the time the remote controller disconnected at the end of the flight to the time the Phantom landed.

That's possible. If that happened, the Phantom would have landed on the driveway where it took off since there was plenty of battery power left and it seemed to be flying above all obstacles in the area.

This makes sense unless this thing was fighting some mean wind as RTH doesn't go full speed (only like 25mph I heard) and it can end up fighting the wind and being stuck in one spot and losing a ton of battery life

When the remote controller signal is lost while flying in ATTI mode (what seems to be the case here), the Phantom will start auto landing 3 seconds after the remote controller signal is lost. Unfortunately, we can only assume which way the wind was blowing the Phantom and how fast it was pushing it along. My projected landing area above assumes those stats stayed the same from the time the remote controller disconnected at the end of the flight to the time the Phantom landed.

Well let's say it made it past the projected landing zone and it gets GPS back it's gonna calculate the RTH as a straight line home, but the flight time on these drones isn't super long especially in a headwind. It possible it tried RTH and died en route home and auto landed in another spot, I'll show what I mean. I may sound like I'm grasping at straws but technical errors often do the weirdest things so I didn't want to rule the possibility out

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

5d48b25615667b6c2ad09e5eb712be71.jpg

Excuse the shoddy work I was making this in markup on my phone but if you calculate it attempting to make an RTH it has a cross section of where it could have fallen because it would take the shortest route home so it might be off IF it did that. Lots of woods though and more than likely I think a very large pine might have eaten it

Note it won't actually be that big I just fail at editing on my phone but if you can accurately calculate a RTH from it current heading and what path it would take it can expand the search area and maybe lead you to it because it was flying away at a slight angle and RTH would come home in a B-Line

The first P4P I bought from B&H had an error "[GPS]disconnect please reset and check connection" I never even got off the ground. Another P4P owner said they had the exact same error but before they got the error they were able to make the bird lose GPS connection during flight by flying side to side, then eventually they got the GPS error and had to send it in for repair. Perhaps the P4P have some QC issues with the GPS units and so you could make a case with DJI that this is not your fault.

Hi there,
This is Cozy Canuck's wife. This is all foreign language for me :) so since I will try to make a case with DJI and I cannot bare to see this much money down the drain and especially seeing my husband's reaction when opening up his gift and then seeing him so distraught that the phantom is more than likely gone for good ....can anyone compose something based on the last flight log, to state my case that this should not have happened for X, Y and Z.... I need something worded so that DJI would understand my point, because I'm sure my case would be thrown out the window if I were to try to compose something. I wouldn't even know where to begin. ;)

Well let's say it made it past the projected landing zone and it gets GPS back
If it made it as far as the projected landing zone, it would have taken longer than 3 seconds to get there. That means it would have already started to auto land and would not return to the home point even if the GPS connection was reestablished.

It possible it tried RTH and died en route home and auto landed in another spot
I don't think that is likely since the OP had no trouble using RTH to get the Phantom home before the second trip out.

If it made it as far as the projected landing zone, it would have taken longer than 3 seconds to get there. That means it would have already started to auto land and would not return to the home point even if the GPS connection was reestablished.

I don't think that is likely since the OP had no trouble using RTH to get the Phantom home before the second trip out.

Would it be safe to assume the tallest pine tree in its path ate it then?

This is my biggest fear from buying one.To drop 2k on a toy for pleasure and then have it fly away.

To drop 2k on a toy for pleasure and then have it fly away.
It didn't fly away. The OP commanded it in the opposite direction and the wind was carrying it away when it was not being commanded. It could have been easily recovered if the OP knew it was flying in ATTI mode and started flying back toward the home point.

Reactions: Meta4
This is my biggest fear from buying one.To drop 2k on a toy for pleasure and then have it fly away.

Msinger is right this didn't fly away, this was blown away one could say it's "gone with the wind" <bad pun>

I digress, if you drop as much as 2k on a drone it shouldn't be able to get away very easy unless it has a mechanical failure in the GPS/Compass like what might've happened here.

These drones get very sophisticated now a days, they don't just up and take off by themselves like they used to

Hi there,
This is Cozy Canuck's wife. This is all foreign language for me :) so since I will try to make a case with DJI and I cannot bare to see this much money down the drain and especially seeing my husband's reaction when opening up his gift and then seeing him so distraught that the phantom is more than likely gone for good ....can anyone compose something based on the last flight log, to state my case that this should not have happened for X, Y and Z.... I need something worded so that DJI would understand my point, because I'm sure my case would be thrown out the window if I were to try to compose something. I wouldn't even know where to begin. ;)
There is no magic here. Just tell the truth, and provide the log from the controller to DJI. Nothing you say really is going to convince them one way or another, they will look at the logs and decide.

I had a similar experience, I was on 5800Ghz (what a weak waste of space that is) My P4P disconnected and it didn't say it was returning home. I also though crap its lost in river it was over or just hovering till battery runs out, after what seemed like a life time, the feed returned and the vid showed it returning home. I was crapping myself and left my RC on river bank while I ran to my bag to get my antenna extenders for aeriels. Not impressed as it caused a few grey hairs I'm sure

Any updates? I've gone through a trash can size bag of popcorn here...

Did your Phantom not come with an instruction manual? I find it bewildering that you would you your brand new expensive bird without knowing what you're doing. This is the kind of thing that makes this hobby extremely difficult for responsible pilots worldwide.

I had a similar experience, I was on 5800Ghz (what a weak waste of space that is) My P4P disconnected and it didn't say it was returning home. I also though crap its lost in river it was over or just hovering till battery runs out, after what seemed like a life time, the feed returned and the vid showed it returning home. I was crapping myself and left my RC on river bank while I ran to my bag to get my antenna extenders for aeriels. Not impressed as it caused a few grey hairs I'm sure

Well, mine didn't...the home base was in yard and it's definalty not here. Calling for another 15cm (6 inches) of snow today *sigh* :(

Last edited:
Did your Phantom not come with an instruction manual?
None of them do. The Phantom manual is only available for download on DJI's website.

Reactions: Cozy Canuck
I have flown a few times, once the signal was lost and I pressed the (return to Home) and it successfully returned home. However yesterday morning I tried again. It flew ... made it come home and I made it fly again. This time, again, weak GPS signal and then No Signal. I pressed on the Return home however it never came back. I have gone to the last point that shows on my video and cannot find it. When it loses signal, does it not automatically come back home? My video shows that it turned around on its spot but then nothing. I figuered this meants it crashed at that spot but nowhere to be found. Of course, the drone has no battery life so going there with the remote to aquire signal wont work. My wife purchased this for me for xmas and its already lost.

Any suggestions? Does it simply hover on the spot where signal is lost? The winds were picking up...so would that mean if it hovers on spot, the wind brought it with it.,
If you don't have "return to home" toggled to on if you lose signal it will land where it is at. The elevation could cause a problem too if is hilly and you started out at a low elevation and there is a hill. Could have been at too low an altitude when returning home. I made a mistake once and didn't double check that the return to home if signal lost on my bird and I mistakenly hit the turn off button instead of return to home button. It lost signal and landed instead of returning home. If a bird lands in salt water just replace the aircraft and don't even bother trying to repair it. I tried and it was a big waste of time and money. Ended up buying a new aircraft.

If you don't have "return to home" toggled to on if you lose signal it will land where it is at. The elevation could cause a problem too if is hilly and you started out at a low elevation and there is a hill. Could have been at too low an altitude when returning home. I made a mistake once and didn't double check that the return to home if signal lost on my bird and I mistakenly hit the turn off button instead of return to home button. It lost signal and landed instead of returning home. If a bird lands in salt water just replace the aircraft and don't even bother trying to repair it. I tried and it was a big waste of time and money. Ended up buying a new aircraft.

My elevation at home base was 237 feet if I remember correctly...the top of hill...it would have been roughly 177 feet elevation.

Hi there,
---

Hi there, new user here so don't take my word as gospel. However in my experience companies pay heed to forums - I would suggest you print this thread and send it to DJI alongside your covering letter - if they know this is being debated in public they are less likely to deny your warranty claim given the high probability of flyaway during satellite connectivity. I hope this helps, and that you are successful – so sorry for your loss.

---

Hi there, new user here so don't take my word as gospel. However in my experience companies pay heed to forums - I would suggest you print this thread and send it to DJI alongside your covering letter - if they know this is being debated in public they are less likely to deny your warranty claim given the high probability of flyaway during satellite connectivity. I hope this helps, and that you are successful – so sorry for your loss.
That's a nice thought but sadly it doesn't work like that. If that was the case then millions of people will be faking a fly away to get a new drone even if they didn't have one in the first place

Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT