LOST RC in atti mode no gps

Summary,
If the Phantom got a lock on six satellites, then It would have hovered there until it auto landed, unless the wind was to strong, 30+ mph.
If the Phantom had a good GPS connection when the remote controller signal was lost, it would have returned to the home point since "Remote Controller Signal Lost" was set to "Return-to-Home".

It was in atti mode (no GPS and that can be confusing and disorientating for inexperienced flyers.
In atti mode the Phantom will hold altitude but it has no ability to hold position.
It's like driving on ice with no brakes.
I suspect that it may have been possible to have flown it back manually if you had more experience.
When it lost signal, it was still moving and would have continued in that direction until it picked up another satellite.
WIth 6 sats, it would have recorded that location as home and found it's ability to hold position and hovered in place until the battery got low which would have triggered an autoland situation.
Here's a screenshot with a yellow line in the direction of drift.
i-GMmNqr6-L.jpg

Unfortunately we don't know for sure how far it may have drifted/flown before getting GPS or if the wind may have shifted a little which might move it off the line.
The houses around the end of Rochester Cr might be a good place to search but it could have gone further.

Meta4 as you were very helpful before, I would please like some . I never did find my Phantom 3 Std? knocked on doors for 10 days. sent data to DJI have followed up 3 times with emails (they always reply very politely) but they still haven't got back to me as to a cause or result? 3 weeks now!

Anyway I am hooked couldn't wait anymore and wanted another Drone, more so to help find my lost one funny hey!! Purchased a P4 last week have taken lots of video of region it may have gone down and think I have spotted in someones garden over 150 metres away from last co-ord ? could this be correct? Vision is a bit blurry want to be sure before I go knocking again? also just thinking and now a few more flights experience and having read lots forums you tube etc (still newby though) After checking my data to my lost P3 drone the previous time I used it before fly off was 2 hours earlier in the same home point? I know you mentioned I didn't record home point which appears to be the case due to lack of Satellites (only 5) but the previous flight recorded 10 satellites and updated the same home point .
Question 1 - does a previous home point stay in place after recharging battery and turning off or is as you said there was none recorded so wouldn't know where to return ? Still puzzles me why didn't return and no satellites ?

NB: I have re-run the same flight with my new Phantom 4 with no issues 14 satellites recorded same home point.

Question 2 - However my new phantom 4 will not seem to travel more than 500 Metres in distance from me no matter where I try, loss signal and returns home anywhere between 350 - 500 metres depending on area? my Phantom 3 Std got further so is this a bug or restriction ? I have done all updates and re calibrated numerous times and re-linked controller with no success. Have sent a report to DJI about this as well still no response after follow up this morning with them?

regards
dwgoldengrove

Meta4 as you were very helpful before, I would please like some . I never did find my Phantom 3 Std? knocked on doors for 10 days. sent data to DJI have followed up 3 times with emails (they always reply very politely) but they still haven't got back to me as to a cause or result? 3 weeks now!

Anyway I am hooked couldn't wait anymore and wanted another Drone, more so to help find my lost one funny hey!! Purchased a P4 last week have taken lots of video of region it may have gone down and think I have spotted in someones garden over 150 metres away from last co-ord ? could this be correct? Vision is a bit blurry want to be sure before I go knocking again? also just thinking and now a few more flights experience and having read lots forums you tube etc (still newby though) After checking my data to my lost P3 drone the previous time I used it before fly off was 2 hours earlier in the same home point? I know you mentioned I didn't record home point which appears to be the case due to lack of Satellites (only 5) but the previous flight recorded 10 satellites and updated the same home point .
Question 1 - does a previous home point stay in place after recharging battery and turning off or is as you said there was none recorded so wouldn't know where to return ? Still puzzles me why didn't return and no satellites ?

NB: I have re-run the same flight with my new Phantom 4 with no issues 14 satellites recorded same home point.

Question 2 - However my new phantom 4 will not seem to travel more than 500 Metres in distance from me no matter where I try, loss signal and returns home anywhere between 350 - 500 metres depending on area? my Phantom 3 Std got further so is this a bug or restriction ? I have done all updates and re calibrated numerous times and re-linked controller with no success. Have sent a report to DJI about this as well still no response after follow up this morning with them?

regards
dwgoldengrove
If you if you are able to pinpoint a possible location of the property/garden, why not simply go and knock on their door. Bring beer or chocolates in case you have a win, certainly nothing to lose. As for your distance limitation, if it is not related to losing signal through interference, height or antenna orientation, check that you don't have maximum distance (in your case 500m) enabled in the settings of your app. Switch it off if it's that's the case and you should see better results.
If you turn the AC/RC off for any reason and then resume flying, you will have to wait for a new HP to be set before flying.

Obviously I will knock , but I have already knocked on that house and given my details with no reply havnt searched there back yard yet though just wanted to be sure as image is a bit distorted don't want them thinking I am a stalker. As for the P4 setting no I have tested with maximum 5000 metres and no limit same result with both. on P4 reading forums it seems to be a common issue. Some mention a possible having to register it online with DJI but i would have thought that would be automatic when logging into go 4 app and uploading data?

Obviously I will knock , but I have already knocked on that house and given my details with no reply havnt searched there back yard yet though just wanted to be sure as image is a bit distorted don't want them thinking I am a stalker. As for the P4 setting no I have tested with maximum 5000 metres and no limit same result with both. on P4 reading forums it seems to be a common issue. Some mention a possible having to register it online with DJI but i would have thought that would be automatic when logging into go 4 app and uploading data?
Sorry, I wasn't having a shot at you. If you have taken the steps to knock on the door and have left your details, without confirmation, you have to wait for a response. I wouldn't be hovering over their house to get a better image as they may indeed investigate, file a complaint or indeed find it and bin it.
The restrictions regarding not having logged into your DJI account relate mainly to a restriction of much reduced distance and height than you appear to be having. You can check by going into your app > select 'me' at the bottom of the app > hit the gear icon at the top of that screen > scroll down to the bottom and you will see if you are logged in or not.
When you are having your RTH events, what is your signal strengths? Any warnings?

Tevek , with regards to RC issue on P4 , get a warning low signal strength around 350 - 400 metres . Yesterday got to maximum ever of 512 metres (distance from me not total) the 512 metres was a different area quite high above sea level with a clear range and only got about 100 - 120 metres more than at my home area. After warning weak signal the video feed drops out screen image is blank with go 4 app data still on screen but no image I move around blindly out of site and sometimes comes good. after about 5 seconds if doesn't re-appear it engages return to home which occurs and I usually dis-engage RTH after it gets back into range. Very frustrating as I purchased the P4 more so for the 5km range not the 4K vid , as the P3 std was only 1km range but it gets less than the P3 go figure? I have watched the DJI video on antenna's and am quite clear on what works best and obstructions etc. We near a flight path ( airport over 15 km away though) although I have seen on you tube that if you are in restricted air space and enter it does warn you first which mine hasn't ( I don't go above 120 metres height) and I have updated the firmware for restricted air space .

RTH works all the time and has on about 10 occasions so far! any advise welcome.

At least I still have the P4!!

Forgot to mention yes I checked the go 4 app and I am logged in. A puzzling one though is when I check my P4 when linked with the controller motors running it seems to fluctuate between poor signal and good on the stats menu even when stationary? Maybe my antennas are duds?

Forgot to mention yes I checked the go 4 app and I am logged in. A puzzling one though is when I check my P4 when linked with the controller motors running it seems to fluctuate between poor signal and good on the stats menu even when stationary? Maybe my antennas are duds?
Yeah there's something not quite right with your setup. One thing you can try is to go into your transmission settings, select a custom channel free of interference ( I use channel 20 as an example) and set your bitrate transmission to 4 Mbps. Oh and drop your video from 4K to 2.7k. This made a big difference to the image retention on my iOS device. My original stock range was good for about 2500-3000 metres and with my current boosted setup 5000 mtrs is easy going. Stock at 5000 mtrs is a stretch unless everything is going your way. I guess you have tried in an open area free from any sort of inteference. South Australia is a big place! I must admit that in some places I have exceeded the 120 mtrs guide to keep a strong signal, but I am literally by myself in the middle of nowhere when I do it. Height is your friend.

Thanks will try I had thought of that but didn't know enough about. Its currently on Auto setting. I am in a heaven residential area but quite high up in fact my house shows a take of point of 213metres above sea level so thought that would actually help? Watched a great Video on you tube last night German guy got 7 kilometres ( 6994 metres) and landed it at his house similar he was on top of a hill and descended to his house. He did have antenna booster on though which is no interest to me. I only want to get 3.2 km as thats how far my business is in a straight line from my home so would be good.

Will try the channel setting thanks.

Thanks will try I had thought of that but didn't know enough about. Its currently on Auto setting. I am in a heaven residential area but quite high up in fact my house shows a take of point of 213metres above sea level so thought that would actually help? Watched a great Video on you tube last night German guy got 7 kilometres ( 6994 metres) and landed it at his house similar he was on top of a hill and descended to his house. He did have antenna booster on though which is no interest to me. I only want to get 3.2 km as thats how far my business is in a straight line from my home so would be good.

Will try the channel setting thanks.
Post back to see how you how go. Your flying altitude is relative to your take off point (AGL) and not above sea level, unless you are standing on the beach. I have flown 12 Klm round trips on a good day with my boosted set up, my battery is the limiting factor.

I have spotted in someones garden over 150 metres away from last co-ord ? could this be correct?

All we had was a direction so if your target is in that direction, it may be the Phantom.
If the yard isn't very bushy, you would expect someone to have found it by now?
When you turn off the Phantom, the home point is gone. Until you power on and get GPS again, you have no home point.

All we had was a direction so if your target is in that direction, it may be the Phantom.
If the yard isn't very bushy, you would expect someone to have found it by now?
When you turn off the Phantom, the home point is gone. Until you power on and get GPS again, you have no home point.

Yes I have just found out no home point set. Still a mystery though I re-checked data on that P3 and waited 12 seconds before ascending still no GPS. Mystery as took of from same spot yesterday on P4 and 17 satellites showing. Flight before i took of in P3 same spot showed 10 then 14 so 5 only registering to me is a malfunction with GPS?

Yes I have just found out no home point set. Still a mystery though I re-checked data on that P3 and waited 12 seconds before ascending still no GPS. Mystery as took of from same spot yesterday on P4 and 17 satellites showing. Flight before i took of in P3 same spot showed 10 then 14 so 5 only registering to me is a malfunction with GPS?
Perhaps it was a rare fluke of the distribution of sats in the sky?
But it would still be normal to pick up more once up in the sky.
If the receiver can get 5 sats, it's probably OK and would get more if there were more to get.

Perhaps it was a rare fluke of the distribution of sats in the sky?
But it would still be normal to pick up more once up in the sky.
If the receiver can get 5 sats, it's probably OK and would get more if there were more to get.
Funnily enough in a spot, that is partially obscured by trees, I could get no satellites where I would normally get at least 6-7 (minimum of six for either GPS configuration). Had to fly out approx 20 mtrs to start picking them up and as you say, ended up with 15 or so before I could get HP recorded. Has never happened before and refused to fly until that was resolved, too many horror stories on here to do otherwise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31