LOST RC in atti mode no gps

Reaction score
What happens when RC lost? bird just took off didn't realise was in atti mode. Didn't return to home now lost . Help please advise ,does it land when signal lost or just keep flying until battery depletes?

South Australia

Under normal circumstances, what the bird does when signal is lost depends on what you set up in the app. Choices are 'hover', 'land', or 'RTH'. The default is RTH. However, if the bird was in atti mode and you didn't switch it to that, it may have switched because it had lost GPS signal. If so, it wouldn't know where home was and would drift or fly erratically until it reached critical battery level at which point it would just land. Unfortunately, with a fresh battery, it could have traveled quite a distance and with no RC connection, you wouldn't have a log to try determining where it went. Sorry for your loss.

Reactions: dwgoldengrove
What happens when RC lost? bird just took off didn't realise was in atti mode. Didn't return to home now lost . Help please advise ,does it land when signal lost or just keep flying until battery depletes?
If you have left your Loss of Signal setting at the default as most do, the Phantom will initiate RTH 3 seconds after losing signal. ....
Unless, the Phantom can't find any GPS sats, in which case, it would just hover until it reaches critical low battery and then land.
Atti mode doesn't prevent using GPS for RTH if sats are available.

When you say the Phantom just took off, do you mean it zoomed away on it'sown or do you mean it blew away on the breeze?

Help please advise
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

does it land when signal lost or just keep flying until battery depletes?
If the Phantom is flying in ATTI mode due to no GPS signal, it'll auto land at its current location 3 seconds after the remote controller signal is lost (using the default settings in DJI GO). If you change the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover", it'll hover in place until the battery reaches the critically low level (as @Meta4 described above).

DJI-GO-RC-Signal-Lost.jpg

@msinger,
Just a thought if the OP tries to look at these setting now.
He won't be able to see what his settings were?

@dwgoldengrove,
Welcome to the forum!

How many flights have you had?
We need you to post your flight log here.
DJI Flight Log Viewer
You upload it and then share the result url here.

You got three of us now that want to help bring your Phantom out of hiding... ;)

Rod

Under normal circumstances, what the bird does when signal is lost depends on what you set up in the app. Choices are 'hover', 'land', or 'RTH'. The default is RTH. However, if the bird was in atti mode and you didn't switch it to that, it may have switched because it had lost GPS signal. If so, it wouldn't know where home was and would drift or fly erratically until it reached critical battery level at which point it would just land. Unfortunately, with a fresh battery, it could have traveled quite a distance and with no RC connection, you wouldn't have a log to try determining where it went. Sorry for your loss.

I actually believe it was in "P" mode not in Atti mode as I have never put in Atti mode. I had just charged battery took off went to about 10 Metres then suddenly just took off as if my Controller was not working. It said Maximum distance reached but was only about 30 metres away and could see then it said GPS lost. So a review the Video it seemed to switch to Atti mode. The video goes for 26 Seconds and I can see were approx it was but the data shows a flight of 39 seconds so I am guessing that it has continued for another 13 seconds on its own? Or has the data just stopped at 39 secs because of lost signal? At the 26 Second mark I am guessing is when it lost Signal as video stops. I immediately pressed return to home but it just kept going in opposite direction , I then toggled the S2 up and down as the manual suggest for lost signal but still nothing. It was a windy day which didn't help. I am a beginner but was about my 16th Flight and have had used in same area half these times and had got to 100 metres height and over 500 metres distance and not had problems in this area as is my residential home. Unfortunately we live on a large hill so all homes are staggered at different levels so have door knocked around were I think is but no luck! Also heavy rain last night so would motors be damaged by water if find anyway?

I think my main concern is has just kept flying on a charged battery or would it hover and land because if it has a think is on someones roof or backyard. Sorry for late reply Australian time Zone difference. I have notice other reply to me for flight log I will try to upload. Thanks all for help so far.

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

If the Phantom is flying in ATTI mode due to no GPS signal, it'll auto land at its current location 3 seconds after the remote controller signal is lost (using the default settings in DJI GO). If you change the "Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Hover", it'll hover in place until the battery reaches the critically low level (as @Meta4 described above).

View attachment 86373

This is the link for the video not much use I know. Also was in return home when signal lost but obviously didn't happen??? How do I upload my flight Data sorry? not that hi-tech on PC
IMG_0321.PNG

Look at this amazing piece I shot with my PHANTOM 3 STANDARD! | SkyPixel.com

@msinger,

@dwgoldengrove,
Welcome to the forum!

How many flights have you had?
We need you to post your flight log here.
DJI Flight Log Viewer
You upload it and then share the result url here.

You got three of us now that want to help bring your Phantom out of hiding... ;)

Rod

Hi Rod did you get my flight log? Not sure if it worked? uploading? However it did come up on my PC and I have viewed and I think I know where it is!!!! However the last log at 39secs and shows on map is still showing at 98FT though? is this where it would have Descended or just lost GPS it says 5 Satellites? Have knocked on peoples house but not home. I think you have saved me thank you very much will be in touch when find hopefully!!

If you have left your Loss of Signal setting at the default as most do, the Phantom will initiate RTH 3 seconds after losing signal. ....
Unless, the Phantom can't find any GPS sats, in which case, it would just hover until it reaches critical low battery and then land.
Atti mode doesn't prevent using GPS for RTH if sats are available.

When you say the Phantom just took off, do you mean it zoomed away on it'sown or do you mean it blew away on the breeze?

Got last co-ordinate , but is this accurate may it have kept going as shows still 98FT high and doing 17 km/h still at last point or would it have descended there?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-05_[14-09-46].txt
    184.2 KB · Views: 169
Got last co-ordinate , but is this accurate may it have kept going as shows still 98FT high and doing 17 km/h still at last point or would it have descended there?

View attachment 86373
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Your Phantom couldn't have returned home because it never got to record a home point and never picked up more than 5 GPS satellites.
Without GPS, I wouldn't be sure about the indicated speed.
The compass may have been giving good direction though
Did it appear to move off to the south? How fast - would 18 mph be about right?
Looking at the data, it seems that the Phantom responded normally to the throttle and rudder controls (left stick) so the right stick was probably OK too.
At 0:32.2 some speed data is showing but I don't think it's believable.
It's showing a steady 17-18 mph even though the right stick hasn't been touched since 0:26.7

Early on you said the Phantom just took off, do you mean it zoomed away on it's own or do you mean it blew away on the breeze?

Why you only had 5 GPS sats (you need a min of 6 if it's a Standard) after 39 seconds of flight is a mystery
You should wait until you have GPS reception and the homepoint recorded before launching.
The available data is minimal so it's hard to pull much out of it.
The error message Abnormal compass function or GPS signal detected. Aircraft switched to ATTI mode may be hinting at a problem.
What surface did you launch from?
When and where did you last calibrate the compass?

Reactions: RodPad

Just went back to last location cannot find. Worried as shows 98Ft at last point does this mean it
Your Phantom couldn't have returned home because it never got to record a home point and never picked up more than 5 GPS satellites.
Without GPS, I wouldn't be sure about the indicated speed.
The compass may have been giving good direction though
Did it appear to move off to the south? How fast - would 18 mph be about right?
Looking at the data, it seems that the Phantom responded normally to the throttle and rudder controls (left stick) so the right stick was probably OK too.
At 0:32.2 some speed data is showing but I don't think it's believable.
It's showing a steady 17-18 mph even though the right stick hasn't been touched since 0:26.7

Early on you said the Phantom just took off, do you mean it zoomed away on it's own or do you mean it blew away on the breeze?

Why you only had 5 GPS sats (you need a min of 6 if it's a Standard) after 39 seconds of flight is a mystery
You should wait until you have GPS reception and the homepoint recorded before launching.
The available data is minimal so it's hard to pull much out of it.
The error message Abnormal compass function or GPS signal detected. Aircraft switched to ATTI modemay be hinting at a problem.
What surface did you launch from?
When and where did you last calibrate the compass?

Thanks for your help. I have learnt a lot in the last 24 hours from this forum.
I think your right I believe I was too hasty taking off and a Home Point was not recorded. The speed from the log seems accurate. I notice it only picked up on satellites at 32 sec mark so had gone 6 seconds after losing video, looking at goole earth I think i can find but one of people are not answering there door (out). So will have to wait. I just hope the images on google Earth are accurate as to the last location are they generally or do you think it lost contact. As I mentioned previous worried last point at 39secs was still 98 FT high does it land?

Only calibrated compass lat week only owned for a fortnight. Took of from my back lawn. Have you seen the Video?

When I mean took of it just seemed to be not responding as usual to the controller however it was about15km/h winds YES it went to the South immediately when went up.

Thank you for your help so far.

Just went back to last location cannot find. Worried as shows 98Ft at last point does this mean it
Thanks for your help. I have learnt a lot in the last 24 hours from this forum.
I think your right I believe I was too hasty taking off and a Home Point was not recorded. The speed from the log seems accurate. I notice it only picked up on satellites at 32 sec mark so had gone 6 seconds after losing video, looking at goole earth I think i can find but one of people are not answering there door (out). So will have to wait. I just hope the images on google Earth are accurate as to the last location are they generally or do you think it lost contact. As I mentioned previous worried last point at 39secs was still 98 FT high does it land?

Only calibrated compass lat week only owned for a fortnight. Took of from my back lawn. Have you seen the Video?

When I mean took of it just seemed to be not responding as usual to the controller however it was about15km/h winds YES it went to the South immediately when went up.
It was in atti mode (no GPS and that can be confusing and disorientating for inexperienced flyers.
In atti mode the Phantom will hold altitude but it has no ability to hold position.
It's like driving on ice with no brakes.
I suspect that it may have been possible to have flown it back manually if you had more experience.
When it lost signal, it was still moving and would have continued in that direction until it picked up another satellite.
WIth 6 sats, it would have recorded that location as home and found it's ability to hold position and hovered in place until the battery got low which would have triggered an autoland situation.
Here's a screenshot with a yellow line in the direction of drift.
i-GMmNqr6-L.jpg

Unfortunately we don't know for sure how far it may have drifted/flown before getting GPS or if the wind may have shifted a little which might move it off the line.
The houses around the end of Rochester Cr might be a good place to search but it could have gone further.

I have been knocking on number 18 Rochester (not home)as thats last point on map. But as you mentioned may have drifted (thats my concern). Which will make very hard to find. Thanks fro your line I will check around there tomorrow. Its Sunday 5pm here in Adelaide and we have been hit hard today with storms , I am guessing it will be damaged by water anyway(motors) or are they resilient to surface water? Your description of Atti mode is very accurate guess my in-expereince has cost me.

Thanks

@msinger,
Right. He will only be able to see the settings on the aircraft if the Phantom is connected to DJI GO.

@dwgoldengrove
Let us know,

It sucks, I got or had a P2V+ lost in the woods, 40+ man hours looking for it. Takes 50 mins to drive there 10 mins on foot to start looking. November to June only access is a snowmobile.
July 28th 2015, Day I won't forget.

@Meta4, @msinger
Thanks, I learned some more from this one.
Summary,
If the Phantom got a lock on six satellites, then It would have hovered there until it auto landed, unless the wind was to strong, 30+ mph.

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4