lost P3A thnks to Litchi

Is that one of those self balancing unicycles? How do you like it? Recently broke my leg and now have arthritis in knee and I now limp a little and it hurts to walk and im exploring my options.I'm not going to get an electric scooter,it's not to that point yet.
Same here. Broke my hip and leg last year lol. Got 6 of them and work for windrider. Love these so much tho :)

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

I only use Litchi and with proper setup it works just fine. When creating a route it is very important to check and recheck all the waypoint settings to make sure it will do what you intended.
The mission was fine, it executed as planned immediately prior- the problem here wasn't litchi or the mission. The OP exited out if the mission prior to the problems he had, he was flying manually.

Reactions: Neon Euc
That is correct. I tested it many times since I mostly fly in the mountains and was afraid my DJI would hit a mountain in case of RTH.

I have my RTH set to 150 meters/492 feet and the highest altitude at 450 meters / 1476 feet. If RTH initiates when I'm flying over a 400 meters high mountain peak it would be real bad in case it would immediately start descending down to 150 meters.
If your flying above your RTH altitude set height the AC will not descend, it will fly home at current altitude.

Thanks a lot litchi, you lost my brand new P3A with only 5 flights or so. this is what happened.

I've been using Litchi for a long time with my P3A and never did it fail me. Yes, I had one crash but that was pilot error not Litchi. I failed to set the RTH altitude 5' higher than the tallest (by far) pine tree in my 'hood which was 106' and I had RTH set at 100'. With my usual bad luck it intentionally caused that evil tree to grow 6' in a very short period of time reaching up and grabbing my P3 and throwing it iniquitously onto the ground as hard as it could. I have since named it "The Satan Tree."

It looks like it was waiting for a command until the battery ran out and started to land in place. In that case the wind might have carried it away from its hovering point right over you. I always set the last waypoint near the landing zone around110', then land manually. I must have at least 30 different waypoints saved and many more that I deleted and it always does what it is supposed to do. In fact I only use the Go app for updates, calibrations, and checking settings and use Litchi for 100% of the actual flying, even manual flying. Mainly because it never crashes with my Shield tablet and the Go app crashes sometimes for unknown reasons.

I see you found it unharmed. Great news, your luck is good. I also use Flytrex on mine because even if I lose video signal I can tell where it's at using the Flytrex app (Flytrex uses a SIM card to report location). It also has a "last seen" location.

Last edited:
Oh and one question that I have to ask again (sorry)

With the 400m rising does that mean that if I was say ...at 500m then pressed RTH would it climb another 400m or bring it down to 400m?

If you are higher it will come home at that same altitude. If lower it will rise to the RTH setting. Then it will start flying to the home point. That way it doesn't hit a tree if it was on the way home rising at the same time. A good rule of thumb is to set the RTH altitude no more than 50' above the highest object in your flying area but you have to take elevation of the ground into consideration since it uses the altitude set at the home point, not sea level. By using say 300' it wastes whatever battery power time you have left trying to ascend to that altitude.

Last edited:
A quick demo I did a few months ago -

Thanks @wolfboy. Chatsworth park, Topanga. Recognized right away. Great memories thanks to you.

NoCo Drones

I have over 200. miles on my Phantom 3 pro, and almost all of that is using Litchi. I can't remember when I ever flu with the DJI Go app. When I first started flying my P3P, I saw Litchi, and I knew I wanted way-points, so I moved to Litchi right away. It is a very good program. I have never had a problem that I could blame on Litchi. Be very carfull about what you program - distance, time, altitude. Also be very carfull that after you pull up your way-point mission, that you don't touch the screen before you upload it. If you touch the screen in the wrong place, it could create a new way-point, that might be too far away. I got surprised by that once. Test some 300 feet short curved waypoint rectangular boxes, and then some orbits close by. Get familiar with it first before you send it on a longer flight. Litchi is a great program.
Joe
KC7GHT

So sorry to hear of your angst... I can sympathize totally as I have lost mine a couple of times... The first thing I did when I got my first Phantom was to get a Chipolo and secured it to the gimbal guard - then if she decides to hide from papa i have a beacon to locate her... must be within 200ft LOS then the ap [on my iPad mini or phone] starts to beep - or you can force the Chipolo to beep.

What I don't understand from your post though is that you said she came home - to last waypoint - was this not directly above you? If she started wandering/drifting off and descending why didn't you just throw the mode switch to P and manually bring her in? you were following her on the screen (tyre pix), did you note on the map where she was? - as mentioned above Healthy Drones will have a record of her flight with a map where she landed... if you sync with HD that is. Good luck mate... I know of your pain.

I would also keep an eye on Craigslist [or other BB for your area/country] for the unscrupulous individuals who would sell it rather than return it...

I have over 200. miles on my Phantom 3 pro, and almost all of that is using Litchi. I can't remember when I ever flu with the DJI Go app. When I first started flying my P3P, I saw Litchi, and I knew I wanted way-points, so I moved to Litchi right away. It is a very good program. I have never had a problem that I could blame on Litchi. Be very carfull about what you program - distance, time, altitude. Also be very carfull that after you pull up your way-point mission, that you don't touch the screen before you upload it. If you touch the screen in the wrong place, it could create a new way-point, that might be too far away. I got surprised by that once. Test some 300 feet short curved waypoint rectangular boxes, and then some orbits close by. Get familiar with it first before you send it on a longer flight. Litchi is a great program.
Joe
KC7GHT
Yeah... that is a big problem - I would think that Litchi would lock the mission parameters when you pull it up so that you cannot add another WP... cause like you this has happened more than once... luckily i caught it before take off.

So sorry to hear of your angst... I can sympathize totally as I have lost mine a couple of times... The first thing I did when I got my first Phantom was to get a Chipolo and secured it to the gimbal guard - then if she decides to hide from papa i have a beacon to locate her... must be within 200ft LOS then the ap [on my iPad mini or phone] starts to beep - or you can force the Chipolo to beep.

What I don't understand from your post though is that you said she came home - to last waypoint - was this not directly above you? If she started wandering/drifting off and descending why didn't you just throw the mode switch to P and manually bring her in? you were following her on the screen (tyre pix), did you note on the map where she was? - as mentioned above Healthy Drones will have a record of her flight with a map where she landed... if you sync with HD that is. Good luck mate... I know of your pain.

I would also keep an eye on Craigslist [or other BB for your area/country] for the unscrupulous individuals who would sell it rather than return it...
I got it back [emoji6] but have ordered a tracker for it regardless after that scare lol

Thanks a lot litchi, you lost my brand new P3A with only 5 flights or so. this is what happened.

1) took about 8 attempts to get the way point mission working
2) it is a 6 min flight and it came home no problem
3) put in new battery 100% charged and waypoint started straight away doing same 6 min mission
4) 15 minutes later drone comes back and its at 1300 feet AND JUST HOVERING !!! it was set to 400 feet max
5) saw the bird go down slowly and checked the camera as it had footage
6) last footage was of it on a pavement with a car tyre so I know it landed safely
7) 3 hours of walking down the street and nearby streets, driveways, etc..... no sign of it

really really p!ssed off with litchi as yesterday it decided to RTH at 35% battery left despite it being set to 30%

have no idea what to do now. my contact number is on stickers on both sides so its up to the public to be honest and also claim a reward. just angry as I had it for a few days costing £650 and I have yet still got to make my first monthy payment on it.

I will put posters around the area with a reward, what I would like to know is if someone links a new controller to it, will I still get the automatic healthy drones log sync to my computer or will that all change if they download the DJI GO/Litchi app and create a new account?

I included a few log files, one from litchi (which I cant understand) and one from healthy drones. sorry about the rant, but so so angry.

I cant upload the file so I will have to copy and paste, so sorry for that

3) put in new battery 100% charged and waypoint started straight away doing same 6 min mission
4) 15 minutes later drone comes back and its at 1300 feet AND JUST HOVERING !!! it was set to 400 feet max
6) last footage was of it on a pavement with a car tyre so I know it landed safely
7) 3 hours of walking down the street and nearby streets, driveways, etc..... no sign of it

really really p!ssed off with litchi as yesterday it decided to RTH at 35% battery left despite it being set to 30%

have no idea what to do now. my contact number is on stickers on both sides so its up to the public to be honest and also claim a reward. just angry as I had it for a few days costing £650 and I have yet still got to make my first monthy payment on it.

I will put posters around the area with a reward, what I would like to know is if someone links a new controller to it, will I still get the automatic healthy drones log sync to my computer or will that all change if they download the DJI GO/Litchi app and create a new account?

I included a few log files, one from litchi (which I cant understand) and one from healthy drones. sorry about the rant, but so so angry.

I

Neon I know how you feel it sucks losing something so expensive and something you just love,hope you get it back and remember there are still honest folks in this World!!

Keep reading this talk of gimbal guards and again with this post. If you want to have flyaways then use one! The sonar used by DJI looks done at lower altitudes and if it detects a gimble guard it becomes confused about the elevation! Disabling the mission by clicking P is little help once you drone is confused by what altitude it is at!

I too have had problems with Litchi, but it has ALWAYS been operator error. Nothing wrong with the program, just me. There are many pitfalls to those that don't pay attention to the details, and flying is always about paying attention to details.

You had it for five flights, and if that is the sum total of drone experience, you went too far (literally) and too fast (figuratively). If this is the case, next time do the baby steps of short flights, lower altitude, and cruise slowly. Build up gradually, too much excitement and moving too fast is a sure road to perdition. I've had my P3P since 1 Aug, over 1000 Google drone flights as a drone test pilot, 5000 hours of real airplane experience, and I'm still learning. Remember, you can't go too slow with a quad, and only tie the record for flying too low. Treat everything as a hazard and expect the strangest things to go wrong (which unfortunately occurred).

Hope you get your drone back, I'd be sick without mine.

Keep reading this talk of gimbal guards and again with this post. If you want to have flyaways then use one! The sonar used by DJI looks done at lower altitudes and if it detects a gimble guard it becomes confused about the elevation! Disabling the mission by clicking P is little help once you drone is confused by what altitude it is at!
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't see why having a gimbal guard on should increase the likelihood of a fly away... as I understand it the VPS is only active in the 3m range... Also... in 75 miles of flying i have never had an altitude issue while flying low or landing... my guard has protected my gimbal a number of times here in Hawaii where we fly over a'a lava all the time. AND actually I have a chi polo attached behind the guard - further protruding into the sensors LOS (one might think) - still with this no issues... she lands ok automatically or manually - most times I hand catch her.
chipolo-phantom.JPG

..Also be very carfull that after you pull up your way-point mission, that you don't touch the screen before you upload it. If you touch the screen in the wrong place, it could create a new way-point, that might be too far away. I got surprised by that once..
Me too. Ended up high in a pine and spent $100 getting an arborist out to retrieve it. No damage but it was annoying. Litchi say they are aware of the problem and trying to fix it, but it's not as easy as putting a lock on the mission.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor