Longest distance with a drone. Couldn't see it

Reaction score
430 meters my longest I have done to date . How are we supposed to keep visual line of sight if I couldn't see it after 300 meters?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 533
Hahaha, that's nothing. Last weekend I flew mine 4km out to sea - and back again fortunately. We lose visual contact at around 300m depending on the conditions. Trying to keep visual contact with this bird is pointless if you want to use it to its fullest capabilities.

Is line of sight (even if you can't see it) necessary for these distances? Mine will barely go 300m before it says weak remote signal.

Is line of sight (even if you can't see it) necessary for these distances? Mine will barely go 300m before it says weak remote signal.
Do you have a P3?? I can easily and regularly do well over 2km. I do it just about daily and I rarely have a 'weak signal' issue. How are you orientating your antennae?

Do you have a P3?? I can easily and regularly do well over 2km. I do it just about daily and I rarely have a 'weak signal' issue. How are you orientating your antennae?
Yeah, P3 Advanced. Here's an image of where I was (red circle) when I got weak signal. I am also flying with no GPS, since I'm right on the edge of a no-fly zone radius from DC.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 9.11.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-03 at 9.11.19 PM.png
    927.2 KB · Views: 649
Reactions: Sal_recon26
Yeah, P3 Advanced. Here's an image of where I was (red circle) when I got weak signal. I am also flying with no GPS, since I'm right on the edge of a no-fly zone radius from DC.
The trees won't help. I always fly with GPS, but I don't know that would make any difference as GPS isn't involved in RC to bird communication. Also, flying with no GPS just because you are on the edge of a no-fly zone doesn't make any sense as the bird only receives GPS signal. It doesn't broadcast any. And if you use GPS that won't decrease the amount of GPS that's available to planes etc :)

The trees won't help. I always fly with GPS, but I don't know that would make any difference as GPS isn't involved in RC to bird communication. Also, flying with no GPS just because you are on the edge of a no-fly zone doesn't make any sense as the bird only receives GPS signal. It doesn't broadcast any. And if you use GPS that won't decrease the amount of GPS that's available to planes etc :)

Hm, thanks. I've got aluminum foil on top of the Phantom, since it won't even take off in the no-fly zone. Maybe that's an issue? I really just want to be able to take this thing far out!

I understand why you blocked off GPS, The antennas are located on the legs so foil on top wont interfere with anything as far a distance, so you are flying in VPS only to hold position? Totally sucks to live in a no-fly zone. Are your antennas parallel to each other and at right angels to the bird?

I understand why you blocked off GPS, The antennas are located on the legs so foil on top wont interfere with anything as far a distance, so you are flying in VPS only to hold position? Totally sucks to live in a no-fly zone. Are your antennas parallel to each other and at right angels to the bird?

Yeah, it really sucks! Especially since it's completely legal here in VA. My antennas are parallel, and I keep them as if they're giving the finger to my bird.

Hm, thanks. I've got aluminum foil on top of the Phantom, since it won't even take off in the no-fly zone. Maybe that's an issue? I really just want to be able to take this thing far out!
Take it for a short drive out of the no-fly zone and enjoy its full capabilities.

Reactions: chrismeetsdrone

You need to find somewhere else to fly that is more wide open. I flew in a very large park but it was surrounded by neighborhoods on three sides. I could not get more than 1,500ft. I moved to a less noisy area without neighborhoods, still in the city over some land, and pushed it to 1.42 miles.

You need to find somewhere else to fly that is more wide open. I flew in a very large park but it was surrounded by neighborhoods on three sides. I could not get more than 1,500ft. I moved to a less noisy area without neighborhoods, still in the city over some land, and pushed it to 1.42 miles.

Nice! That's what I want to be able to do. Thanks for your advice, I will try that tomorrow out of the no-fly zone!

Yup, Word. I Couldn't agree more, with that statement.
Not Concerned about the long distance flight, so much. Ah, but only if anything went south, how would you ever recover it. Yeah and those way out over water, where some of you insist on flying...
I will be babying my Phantom 3, out in large open tracts of sparsly treed land.
It will be a good while before I venture down to the North Sakatchewan River valley to fly and explore the region from above.

But I do enjoy watching the daring bravado videos, you guys share...
They look awesome and enticing, to me.

RedHotPoker

I also fly in a large regional park with housing on three sides, and cell towers on 2 sides, but have had no issue going out 12,000' with full signal, then I chicken out and head back. More worried about the battery than anything else, I have a Tracker but don't relish knocking on someones door to politely ask for my quad, know what I mean...

Yeah, it really sucks! Especially since it's completely legal here in VA. My antennas are parallel, and I keep them as if they're giving the finger to my bird.

Come out to Reston, lots of great places to fly, good scenery, and you can finally enjoy the amazing stability the P3 has with GPS.

Reactions: chrismeetsdrone
Is there a topic about places to fly in the nova area? I too am just outside the no fly zone down near Burke va. I have huge trees on all sides so if I fly the p3 over 50-100 yards away I won't see it because of the trees. Too scared to go farther as it would probably lose connection.

Your surroundings is your problem. Tree's and wifi will severely hamper your signal. I am in maryland so your not far away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers