Longest distance with a drone. Couldn't see it

I know this will make me sound like a Phillistine but can someone please tell me what the big attraction is to flying the P3 way out of visual sight just because you can? I mean, I get the 'gutsy' stuff etc and I do enjoy the fun of watching some of these videos, but I have just laid out a penny short of £1000 for this thing so am not about to do something that could lead to it disappearing on me! PLEASE GUYS, this is NOT a criticism, each to their own. I am just wondering if there is something extra that I'm missing :eek:)

Cheers,
Rob

I know this will make me sound like a Phillistine but can someone please tell me what the big attraction is to flying the P3 way out of visual sight just because you can? I mean, I get the 'gutsy' stuff etc and I do enjoy the fun of watching some of these videos, but I have just laid out a penny short of £1000 for this thing so am not about to do something that could lead to it disappearing on me! PLEASE GUYS, this is NOT a criticism, each to their own. I am just wondering if there is something extra that I'm missing :eek:)

Cheers,
Rob

Try it then come back. Lol... It's a rush. My furthest distance out is way less than what people brag about on here and I felt the rush.

Probably better off not doing it.

Reactions: RobBarron
Try it then come back. Lol... It's a rush. My furthest distance out is way less than what people brag about on here and I felt the rush.

Probably better off not doing it.

LOL, thanks Rebel ;o) I did watch one vid on YT complete with the data showing the entire journey where the guy sent it out across a mass of water and trees (in Thailand or somewhere like that) and went an incredible 5Kms without losing the video signal. He then used RTH to get it back but was panicking because he realised the drone was using a lot more power to come back as it had been flying away in a following wind. The thing made it back and he had 1% left on his battery power! OUCH! If I can find it again, I'll post a link to it.

Cheers,
Rob

LOL, thanks Rebel ;o) I did watch one vid on YT complete with the data showing the entire journey where the guy sent it out across a mass of water and trees (in Thailand or somewhere like that) and went an incredible 5Kms without losing the video signal. He then used RTH to get it back but was panicking because he realised the drone was using a lot more power to come back as it had been flying away in a following wind. The thing made it back and he had 1% left on his battery power! OUCH! If I can find it again, I'll post a link to it.

Cheers,
Rob

Yeah, I saw that one just before buying my P3. THAT was intense lol. Scary. I went out less than a mile and was cropping my pants Haha.

I got about 3700ft going over town at night.
This was my 7th flight. Still just focusing on controls and navigation.

Last edited:

Cheers,
Rob
I don't go out as far as others. My furthest has been about 2500ft / 762m and only a few times. For me it's very exciting to control something so far out. It may sound dorky and perhaps it's because I'm a child of the 60's, but I imagine that I'm at NASA mission control and I'm flying a spacecraft exploring a planet or a moon. Especially if I fly low with the camera pointing down. Sort of like Neil Armstrong flying over the surface of the moon looking for a landing spot with fuel running low. Like I said, dorky. I admit it.

Cheers,
Rob

For me it's pushing the limits of technology... Finding how environmental and other differences affect range. I've assumed the risk. So for me a $1,300 hit would suck but I won't be homeless. It's also fun to navigate without visual sight.

Reactions: Oso
Do you have a P3?? I can easily and regularly do well over 2km. I do it just about daily and I rarely have a 'weak signal' issue. How are you orientating your antennae?
How are you guys keeping a video signal? I lose video at 2000' on a regular basis.

Cheers,
Rob
Sometimes you have to do it to get the shot you want, like out at the lake. From the middle of the lake I can make it to both ends. This video is just a 1/3 the lake.

Sometimes you have to do it to get the shot you want, like out at the lake. From the middle of the lake I can make it to both ends. This video is just a 1/3 the lake.
I've watched that video a few times whenever you've posted it in the last month or so. Nice. I like the video, but I really like the level horizon. I can only dream.

Agree with dalebb...sometimes you have to get out there for the shot...and I must add that it was exhilarating to have my P3P 10K feet away over a lake I was jet skiing in earlier in the day.

Reactions: Oso
I've watched that video a few times whenever you've posted it in the last month or so. Nice. I like the video, but I really like the level horizon. I can only dream.
I still have my P2v+v3, but trying to sell it, I don't think I will every use it again.

I've got 5.3kms, my mates have over 7kms, it's a combination of just seeing what's across a series of rivers and paddocks and this great device being so far away from you and then returning and having it land back in front of you.. And yes the risk of losing it does add to the excitement but if you have done everything it requires (pre flight check and calibrations etc then returning on its on (if needed) is part of its ability.. there's also very little to hit at 400ft :)

I've got 5.3kms, my mates have over 7kms, it's a combination of just seeing what's across a series of rivers and paddocks and this great device being so far away from you and then returning and having it land back in front of you.. And yes the risk of losing it does add to the excitement but if you have done everything it requires (pre flight check and calibrations etc then returning on its on (if needed) is part of its ability.. there's also very little to hit at 400ft :)
Other than a crop duster where I live. Even at the lake, but there I fly at 30'.
I forgot about the Sheriff Helicopter at the lake one time, I came down and when he left I went back up. Then he came back and I went down again, then the ground troops came in.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl