Reaction score
I just received a Phantom 3 Standard for Christmas from my wife, and I really want to start flying it. After doing some research, I'm not sure where I'm allowed to fly and if I need permits to fly. I read about Suffolk county passing a bill about not being able to fly at beaches or parks. Then I read it was vetoed. I also read that it was ok to fly at state parks, but then I read that I can't. Everything I've searched is 6 months or older. I'm not sure what the rules are as of right now. It's frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome and I know your frustrations!! I live in New York...3 hours north..and I had trouble finding info. I saw a website another member listed for checking wind speeds, it also happen to show No Fly Zones for the quad copter and to my surprise my house was not in the restricted area. That site is UAV Forecast, not sure if I would take it as gospel, but it is a start.

Good luck flying!!

Bottom line is FAA controls airspace. If you take off from private property and fly over state parks where the state "bans" drone operation you are fine. If you were to take off and land on state park property you'd be in trouble. If you fly over people y could be cited for flying recklessly. And anything over .55 lbs has to be FAA registered.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Welcome and I know your frustrations!! I live in New York...3 hours north..and I had trouble finding info. I saw a website another member listed for checking wind speeds, it also happen to show No Fly Zones for the quad copter and to my surprise my house was not in the restricted area. That site is UAV Forecast, not sure if I would take it as gospel, but it is a start.

Good luck flying!!
Thanks. I went to the website and they had an app. Really good info. Doesn't help with the laws, but it's a start.

Legally speaking regarding NY state parks.. You are required to obtain a Radio Controlled Aircraft Permit for New York State Parks, and those parks on Long Island allowing such aircraft are limited to Heckscher State Park and Nissequogue River State Park -- each park specific permit costing $40 and can be only be obtained at the Belmont State Lake Park permits office. At Heckscher, flying is limited to Field #9 only. Field #9 is controlled by the Suffolk Aeromodelers Club (Suffolk AeroModelers – Come Fly With Us !). I'm not sure if you have to actually join the club or be an AMA member to access the field with your vehicle through the locked gate. Probably should email the club for that info, or ask at the permit office. Doesn't seem to me you should need to also join a club if you have a park permit and want to fly on your own, but don't know. I already was an AMA member and joined the club just as a contribution. I generally prefer to practice in the wee morning hours when no one else is there. There are much nicer areas of the park, but unfortunately you are legally only allowed to fly in that area. I'm not saying you can't get away with flying other locations in the park during off-season as the park is huge and has many remote areas one could walk to, but it would be at your own risk. State police might ask you to leave if they see you. I just needed a place to practice for my environmental work, and that field fits my need. The park permit is in effect from April 1 thru January 31 each year. In addition (yes it gets worse), there is an $8 to $10 park fee to just enter the park each time you want to fly. I just bought an annual Empire Passport for $65 which then gets me into the park as many times as I want, as well as other parks like Jones Beach, Captree, Caumsette, etc. for other summer activities.

Last edited:
Bottom line is FAA controls airspace. If you take off from private property and fly over state parks where the state "bans" drone operation you are fine. If you were to take off and land on state park property you'd be in trouble. If you fly over people y could be cited for flying recklessly. And anything over .55 lbs has to be FAA registered.

I've registered my Quad with the FAA. I just don't want the local law enforcement harassing me. I just want to go somewhere with my family and enjoy the day.

You can't be within 5 miles of Islip or Republic airports. But, plenty of places to fly. This time of year, I fly in county and state parks. I've never had a problem.

I've registered my Quad with the FAA. I just don't want the local law enforcement harassing me. I just want to go somewhere with my family and enjoy the day.

Local law enforcement may or may not harass you. I live in CT and DEEP has a specific rule to say no operation of a drone in a state park. If I take off from a state park yeah I'm going to get in trouble. If I'm standing outside the state park and fly over the state park chances are I'll be harassed even though technically I'm not violating that operating in a state park rule. But they could cite me for public endangerment. It is unfortunate.

The flying over a national or state park park but not launching or landing on park grounds is impractical if the intent is to fly legally within the park boundaries. The FAA regulations state that the controller must not lose visual sight of the sUAS -- which will quickly happen as soon as the drone flies beyond the barrier wall of obscuring trees of the park. At that point you begin flying illegally anyway in the eyes of the law. Also, if the drone crashes in the park or auto lands because the battery runs out, you've also broken the law. Legally speaking.

Last edited:
This time of year, I fly in county and state parks. I've never had a problem. Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I agree. During the cold weather you can probably fly a lot of locations you wouldn't be able to get away with in the warm weather.

I was told that I couldn't fly over the old Field Lighthouse. When I asked if there was a law against it, the Officer just slammed the door on me. I don't think that local law enforcement is very clear on this issue.

I live in Massapequa, and I want to fly near the South Shore. I want some cool sunrise and sunset videos/photos on the water. Has anyone been fined? If so, how much? I might just go anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've flown my Phantom a total of 4 times since Christmas. Each time I've been nervous. It's takes away the fun. I'm still looking for a place to fly.

This is an old thread but it came up while I was searching the issue of flying drones on Long Island. I don't know the process for state parks but Suffolk County issues permits to fly in county parks. You have to have a Suffolk County green card. You fill out the application showing which county park you want to fly at, the dates and times. Depending on the number of days you may be better off getting an annual permit which is $35 versus paying $10/day. If you get the annual permit and approved for the dates on the initial application you're covered for those days/times. Then when you want to fly again you have to make a separate request for those additional dates/times but you don't pay an additional fee if you have the annual permit.

As for how restrictive they are, I don't know at this point since my only request so far has been for Smith's Point Park in April and the request was approved. This is before the peak Summer season so it may be more difficult to get certain days/times during the peak season.

Anyone flying around Long Island, is there park without any permit? No Suffolk county, no town of Hempstead so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20