New drone pilot from Long Island - looking for places to fly/TOH laws

No, I did not get a permit.

I was being way too paranoid about all these bs rules/regulations. No one seems to follow them at all. I was close to selling my DJI Mavic. Now I'm using it as the thing is up in the air for 10-20 mins and landed.

For Safety: I will not fly at Eisenhower park, Theodore Roosevelt park. Do not fly town properties. But I do fly local park, which is technically a town property.

To get permit, you need insurance for half million or so. I so far know no one who has a permit yet I see plenty of drone owners.

firstly, no one would even know of the these regulations unless they are overly paranoid and researching on the internet day and night.

We need MORE drones. a LOT more. Once we have a lot more drones, the regulations would have to be balanced out. In the early stages there was no resistance by the drone flyers so this allowed the town to overreach and make the rules as they pleased.

TOH seemed to make some unconstitutional rules. The assumption of just possessing a drone and using that to PRESUME it was operated and charge the owner of it.

TOB seems better than TOH. In the past year and half I have flown 10-15 times at a local park and various random places. So far no one in public has complained or called cops.

Only once did two people find the noise a little annoying.

Overall, I do not want to give up this hobby and I'm just waiting on a resistance to be present, which I will gladly be a part of.

For example why do we have cars that can go well over 100/150 mph + when speed limits only allows 55 here in NY.

Over time there shall be a resistance and things would eventually find some common ground. Right now it's just abuse of power.

My current plan: keep flying till I face trouble for first time. Then I can decide to continue or sell the drone.

If anyone has a permit, please do share the experience!! Thanks.

Hey everybody, I'm looking forward to becoming part of the community here. I'll first give a little background about myself. I'm 34 and currently a product/headshot/editorial photographer in Long Island NY and have been doing so over the last 6 years professionally. I'm new to drone's but have been doing lots of research on FAA/state/local laws concerning drones so I don't piss anybody off or do anything illegal.

I was curious if anybody has information on Town of Hempstead laws concerning drones. Most of what I've researched seems very murky, though I've been reading all TOH parks, beaches, etc are completely off limits.

I'm currently located in Baldwin NY (south shore of Nassau Long Island). Airmap shows my location as a go fly zone all around my area - its just the Town of Hempstead stuff I find a bit concerning esp since there is a $500 penalty for the use of a drone in so many areas.

I'll be getting my 107 class cert very soon - but before I do I'd like to just do some scenic stuff in my area for fun. My only problem is finding places I can fly.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Patrick

Drone - Phantom 4 pro

Hi,
I too am looking for a field to fly drones. If you have any updates, please let me know. Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub