Long exposure help

Reaction score
Just got a used p4pro and not sure what to expect for long exposures. I can get about 1 second nice and sharp but at 3 seconds and above I get horizontal drift lines/blur. I am pretty sure it's from the gimbal since I can see the image drift with the phantom sitting still on a table. I did the gimbal calibration several times and I have the gimbal follow mode off. I also have the stability setting at zero and the exp at 3. Is this just normal behavior or should that 8s really be achievable?

Just got a used p4pro and not sure what to expect for long exposures. I can get about 1 second nice and sharp but at 3 seconds and above I get horizontal drift lines/blur. I am pretty sure it's from the gimbal since I can see the image drift with the phantom sitting still on a table. I did the gimbal calibration several times and I have the gimbal follow mode off. I also have the stability setting at zero and the exp at 3. Is this just normal behavior or should that 8s really be achievable?
Wind is the issue.
For longer long exposures to be sharp, you need very still conditions.

Reactions: DKG13CC
There is no wind when it's sitting on my table in my kitchen yet it still happens so it's definitely something else. I'm sure wind doesn't help but it's not the cause in my situation. Thanks for trying to help though.

Reactions: FlyingUser
There is no wind when it's sitting on my table in my kitchen yet it still happens so it's definitely something else. I'm sure wind doesn't help but it's not the cause in my situation. Thanks for trying to help though.

If theres nothing erratic going on with the IMU and the gimbal is calibrating properly, you may have another issue with the gimbal. Ive been able to achieve a few shots in fair focus around 4-5s on a still night.
A4754BAD5662BDC8CF0DEDCA4220C371.jpg

Just got a used p4pro and not sure what to expect for long exposures. I can get about 1 second nice and sharp but at 3 seconds and above I get horizontal drift lines/blur. I am pretty sure it's from the gimbal since I can see the image drift with the phantom sitting still on a table. I did the gimbal calibration several times and I have the gimbal follow mode off. I also have the stability setting at zero and the exp at 3. Is this juist normal behavior or should that 8s really be achievable?

I haven't read any replies, but I can't imagine a 3-second exposure working. I can't do that with my hands, and wouldn't even bother trying with a copter in the air. Better off increasing the ISO, methinks.

I haven't read any replies, but I can't imagine a 3-second exposure working. I can't do that with my hands, and wouldn't even bother trying with a copter in the air. Better off increasing the ISO, methinks.

if you haven't read any replies you really aren't in the position to make a comment are you? :D

At least one you'd expect people to bother reading or taking any notice of

Reactions: HomeyJay
if you haven't read any replies you really aren't in the position to make a comment are you? :D

At least one you'd expect people to bother reading or taking any notice of
Oh, please excuse me Andy. I guess that makes my advice completely worthless, then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, please excuse me Andy. I guess that makes my advice completely worthless, then.

yeah, it probably does because there are ways of achieving the result with up to about ten second exposures.

My comment was because you hadn't been bothered to read what other people had said or considered their opinions yet obviously expected them to take heed of yours - kinda rude when you look at it like that isn't it?

Reactions: drvrbobob
yeah, it probably does because there are ways of achieving the result with up to about ten second exposures.

My comment was because you hadn't been bothered to read what other people had said or considered their opinions yet obviously expected them to take heed of yours - kinda rude when you look at it like that isn't it?
Yes, I'll never be so rude as to offer an opinion that I thought was helpful again. You're so correct. (that was sarcasm, btw).

If someone else had already said that, then I would have unknowingly agreed. As it was... no one had.

I'd like to see a perfect 10-second exposure from a flying quadcopter.

I'd like to see a perfect 10-second exposure from a flying quadcopter.

The current max of the P4P is 8s exposure. Ive had zero luck there. 4-5s in Tripod mode is about it on a still night (for a single exposure)

The current max of the P4P is 8s exposure. Ive had zero luck there. 4-5s in Tripod mode is about it on a still night (for a single exposure)
Tripod mode is confusingly named.
It does nothing to improve camera stability (which is already good).
It just slows the speed and response to joystick inputs.

Reactions: FlyingUser
I realize it doesnt affect the gimbal stabilization, but it seems to make the gimbal behave more precise. Maybe its just me noticing something in my mind, but it seems like when i use Tripod the gimbal locks itself in to place faster. Its hard to describe, but when i find myself trying to line up a grid line on the go app with a straight line in the photo, i find the smallest yaw input when not in tripod causes the gimbal to “drift” slighty further than I wanted it to go after the line seemed already perpendicular. Id take the pic, and then after the screen reset, the lines arent lined up. Tripod mode seems to kill that. I dont know if that makes sense to anyone but me, but all it relates to is me being able to line the shot up faster.

I agree, my P3A IS very stable, but my main point was that a sharp image from 10 seconds on anything but a solid tripod or surface would be amazing to me.

I agree, my P3A IS very stable, but my main point was that a sharp image from 10 seconds on anything but a solid tripod or surface would be amazing to me.
that's why you sometimes need to 'cheat' 5 stacked two second images are the same as a ten second exposure in terms of time. Stacking them using layers in photoshop alllows you to remove blurred areas if they are a problem - them image I posted earlier was effectively an 8 second exposure - there's no unwanted blur but using 'lighten' in the layer properties means the stuff like light trails blend together.

that's why you sometimes need to 'cheat' 5 stacked two second images are the same as a ten second exposure in terms of time. Stacking them using layers in photoshop alllows you to remove blurred areas if they are a problem - them image I posted earlier was effectively an 8 second exposure - there's no unwanted blur but using 'lighten' in the layer properties means the stuff like light trails blend together.

So are you firing the 2 sec exposures in a burst to get them to line up fluidly? Im interested to try that technique.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic