Litchi : Mission Hub Panorama Preset

jmv

Reaction score
Has anyone used Panorama Preset in Mission Hub ?

It appears that the 14 actions that the Panorama Preset creates are insufficient.
The result is that you only get a video with all the different angles of the gimbal as per the actions. (no photos).
I assume it needs a stop recording at the 1st step and start recording at the end.

I am interested to see if anyone has tried this feature with success and if my assumptions are correct ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, that's how it seems to work when trying to take a panorama within a mission - The drone mustn't be recording video when it's due to start the panorama or you will, indeed, just end up with a video of its panorama actions, but no actual photos. As you'll know, when taking a simple panorama outside a mission, Litchi stops the video before starting the panorama and restarts it afterwards (if you have it set to start video automatically on take-off).

My suggested solution would be to leave the video running right through the mission and then use a player (I use Daum PotPlayer) which can take SOURCE frame grabs (ie: not just screen grabs) at full 4K resolution from each of the panorama orientations in the vid. Then just stitch these frames to make the panorama in the normal way using PTgui, ICE or whatever you use.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve.
Are there any benefits of taking photos for the panorama versus getting frame grabs from the video instead ?
There must be a difference else why use photos if you can get same result from video frame grabs.

Thanks Steve.
Are there any benefits of taking photos for the panorama versus getting frame grabs from the video instead ?
There must be a difference else why use photos if you can get same result from video frame grabs.
An interesting question and having seen some discussions here about grabbing frames, I've asked the same question myself. I'm no photography expert, but given that a player like Potplayer can grab and save full res (4000 X3000) source frames, I can't see how there could be any noticeable difference in quality.

In fact, rather than trying to orientate the camera for that 'perfect shot' for a photo, I now more often just take video and do slow yaws/pans etc etc with the vid running and take my photos from that.

Cant you just set a waypoint just before the panorama to tell it to stop recording? The do the panorama, then another waypoint to start recording again?

Cant you just set a waypoint just before the panorama to tell it to stop recording? The do the panorama, then another waypoint to start recording again?

Actually what you can do is create the following actions :
1-Stop Recording
2-Panorama Preset (creates all 14 actions )
3-Start Recording

In my opinion actions 1 and 3 are missing from the Panorama Preset button.

Anyone know where we can submit wish list / change requests for Litchi ?

An interesting question and having seen some discussions here about grabbing frames, I've asked the same question myself. I'm no photography expert, but given that a player like Potplayer can grab and save full res (4000 X3000) source frames, I can't see how there could be any noticeable difference in quality.

In fact, rather than trying to orientate the camera for that 'perfect shot' for a photo, I now more often just take video and do slow yaws/pans etc etc with the vid running and take my photos from that.

Any pro photographers here can provide some input ?

Any pro photographers here can provide some input ?
You echoing my thoughts prompted me to do a Google search. There's some info available here:- Can I get high resolution photo from video? and more elsewhere.

If I've understood it correctly, there will be some difference owing to differing methods of compression and rendering and less control of shutter speed, aperture and ISO during the taking of a video and this will affect the quality of any source frame grab.

That said, I've found the source grabs that I get from 4K to be quite acceptable, IMHO.

Actually what you can do is create the following actions :
1-Stop Recording
2-Panorama Preset (creates all 14 actions )
3-Start Recording

In my opinion actions 1 and 3 are missing from the Panorama Preset button.

Anyone know where we can submit wish list / change requests for Litchi ?

My understanding is that Panorama preset during a waypoint mission requires 14 actions, and the max number of actions allowed at a waypoint is 15, meaning that you can't add both Stop Recording at the front end and Stop Recording after the Panorama is done. Hence my suggestion that you just add a waypoint just before or just after the Panorama waypoint so that you can add Stop Recording before the Pano or Start Recording once the Pano is done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.