Litchi for 4K/60 with P4P

Reaction score
Good news: Litchi works a whole lot better than DJI Go 4, at the moment, for recording video in 4K, including 4K at 60 fps, with the P4P. I had good solid view on my viewing screen while recording in 4K/60 right up until signal was lost at 2215 meters and Return To Home was automatically initiated. It was a MUCH better connection than I've been getting with DJI Go 4.

Good news: 2215 meters is among my top 5 distances with any aircraft from this location. (I am surrounded by trees when flying from near my house.)

Bad news: Litchi can't be used, to the best of my knowledge, with the P4P Plus.

Bad news: Litchi is not free, although the cost is fairly small, and I haven't yet figured out if I can adjust the horizon tilt using Litchi.

Bad news (?): I can't view 4K/60 straight from the micro-SD (jerkiness and backtracking are the primary flaws), regardless of whether I try to view it using Windows Movie and TV Player, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, VLC Media Player, or by casting it to my Samsung UHD TV.

Good news: once the video is rendered with a capable video editor, VLC Media Player will display it properly, although it is the sole application among those above which will do so.

Good news: I have at least one video editing program (Filmora) which can display, edit and render 4K/60 while maintaining it at 4K/60. I've got 6 or 7 different video editors but tend to favor Filmora.

Bad news/good news, depending on how you look at it: Filmora costs $65 for a lifetime license on one computer only.

Good news: VLC Media Player is free, or at least it was when I downloaded it a good several years ago.

Bad news: ;) I uploaded a video of my 4K/60fps flight earlier this morning. Nah, not bad news. You might enjoy it. Please view it on YouTube to read my fairly detailed notes and description. Most of it is sped up 5x actual speed to keep it lively and short. Just 2 minutes 19 seconds.

Couple of notes...

The radio connection is between the aircraft and the controller, and the app itself has nothing to do with the quality of the link other than configuration settings. What you might have been seeing is lower processor load or more efficient video display routines with the Litchi app, resulting in a cleaner video display.

Also you should be able to adjust the horizon tilt using the C2 switch and right dial on the controller, and I don't think that is dependent on what app is running.

Reactions: M1shootr
Couple of notes...

The radio link connection itself is between the aircraft and the controller, and the app has nothing to do with it other than configuration settings. What you might have been seeing is lower processor load or more efficient video display routines with the Litchi app, resulting in a cleaner video display.

Also you should be able to adjust the horizon tilt using the C2 switch and right dial on the controller, and I don't think that is dependent on what app is running.
For note number 1, since the Litchi app has usable configuration settings and the DJI Go 4 app apparently does not, then the app has something to do with it. I cannot maintain connection with DJI Go 4. I cannot fly while recording in 4K using the DJI Go 4 app without the app shutting down completely every few minutes.With Litchi, no such problem, no shutting down of the app even when signal is lost. If I misunderstand what you're saying then please say it again in a different way because it doesn't register.

By the way, I have zero idea why the Litchi app is giving me a better screen view than it did just a few weeks ago. I did uninstall DJI Go 4 in order to prevent conflict: perhaps that has something to do with it.

For note number 2, thanks! I'll try dat!

Well, I tried it without success. I of course have gimbal tilt (not horizon tilt) adjustment using the left dial (not the right dial), same as all recent Phantom models. I still can't find any option for horizon tilt (AKA gimbal roll) adjustment in Litchi.

Hmm, it seemed to me that the C2/right wheel combination worked in Litchi but you may be right and I'll try it again. If there truly is no way to adjust gimbal tilt in Litchi then that is a problem.

You have to set the C2/Right wheel in the settings of Litchi. They are all the way to the bottom. I bet they all are disabled.

Reactions: smiller
Couple of notes...

The radio connection is between the aircraft and the controller, and the app itself has nothing to do with the quality of the link other than configuration settings. What you might have been seeing is lower processor load or more efficient video display routines with the Litchi app, resulting in a cleaner video display.

You're just full of news! Thanks for the info.

Hmm, it seemed to me that the C2/right wheel combination worked in Litchi but you may be right and I'll try it again. If there truly is no way to adjust gimbal tilt in Litchi then that is a problem.
You have to set the C2/Right wheel in the settings of Litchi. They are all the way to the bottom. I bet they all are disabled.
Bingo! But, Bryan, you lost the bet about the button functions being disabled. My C2 button was set to toggle between camera and map view, which I believe is the way I had it set in DJI Go 4. Once I changed it in Litchi to "Gimbal Tilt/Yaw", I'm able to adjust the horizon level with the combination of C2 and right wheel.

Thanks!

Bingo! But, Bryan, you lost the bet about the button functions being disabled. My C2 button was set to toggle between camera and map view, which I believe is the way I had it set in DJI Go 4. Once I changed it in Litchi to "Gimbal Tilt/Yaw", I'm able to adjust the horizon level with the combination of C2 and right wheel.

Thanks!

Darn!! Mine are set to disabled because I have a P3S. But glade you got it!

Good news: Litchi works a whole lot better than DJI Go 4, at the moment, for recording video in 4K, including 4K at 60 fps, with the P4P. I had good solid view on my viewing screen while recording in 4K/60 right up until signal was lost at 2215 meters and Return To Home was automatically initiated. It was a MUCH better connection than I've been getting with DJI Go 4.

Good news: 2215 meters is among my top 5 distances with any aircraft from this location. (I am surrounded by trees when flying from near my house.)

Bad news: Litchi can't be used, to the best of my knowledge, with the P4P Plus.

Bad news: Litchi is not free, although the cost is fairly small, and I haven't yet figured out if I can adjust the horizon tilt using Litchi.

Bad news (?): I can't view 4K/60 straight from the micro-SD (jerkiness and backtracking are the primary flaws), regardless of whether I try to view it using Windows Movie and TV Player, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, VLC Media Player, or by casting it to my Samsung UHD TV.

Good news: once the video is rendered with a capable video editor, VLC Media Player will display it properly, although it is the sole application among those above which will do so.

Good news: I have at least one video editing program (Filmora) which can display, edit and render 4K/60 while maintaining it at 4K/60. I've got 6 or 7 different video editors but tend to favor Filmora.

Bad news/good news, depending on how you look at it: Filmora costs $65 for a lifetime license on one computer only.

Good news: VLC Media Player is free, or at least it was when I downloaded it a good several years ago.

Bad news: ;) I uploaded a video of my 4K/60fps flight earlier this morning. Nah, not bad news. You might enjoy it. Please view it on YouTube to read my fairly detailed notes and description. Most of it is sped up 5x actual speed to keep it lively and short. Just 2 minutes 19 seconds.
Just a comment - try putting microSD card into USB card reader and putting it into your Samsung TV USB port.
Mine is quite old UHD model and plays both 4K60 as well as h.265 100% smoothly. Contrary to my 1000$ PC....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: DanMan32
Just a comment - try putting microSD card into USB card reader and putting it into your Samsung TV USB port.
Mine is quite old UHD model and plays both 4K60 as well as h.265 100% smoothly. Contrary to my 1000$ PC....

Thanks. Good to know. I was pretty sure that would work but didn't feel inspired to try it, because I want to be able to view the video on the same screen I'm using to edit it.

It's also good to know that there's nothing wrong with my P4P's ability to record in 4K/60. I'm sure I wasn't the only person who saw the herky-jerky video and thought it was the fault of the P4P when there's actually nothing at all wrong with the video.

YouTube does a decent job of displaying 4K/60 videos. Until my DJI ND filters arrive, I'm recording only near dawn or near sunset. This was right at sunrise or possibly slightly prior to sunrise yesterday.

Thanks. Good to know. I was pretty sure that would work but didn't feel inspired to try it, because I want to be able to view the video on the same screen I'm using to edit it.

It's also good to know that there's nothing wrong with my P4P's ability to record in 4K/60. I'm sure I wasn't the only person who saw the herky-jerky video and thought it was the fault of the P4P when there's actually nothing at all wrong with the video.

YouTube does a decent job of displaying 4K/60 videos. Until my DJI ND filters arrive, I'm recording only near dawn or near sunset. This was right at sunrise or possibly slightly prior to sunrise yesterday.
Just curious why you can't stop down the lense and shoot under brighter conditions.

Just curious why you can't stop down the lense and shoot under brighter conditions.
I can, and I've done so for years with Phantoms including this latest one, using automatic camera settings. I'm a newbie to using manual camera settings and I'm following some rules as if they're written in stone even though I'm aware that they're not. Just learning. Every day is a new adventure. Now c'mon, DJI, get those ND filters to B&H so they can ship 'em to me. :)

I can, and I've done so for years with Phantoms including this latest one, using automatic camera settings. I'm a newbie to using manual camera settings and I'm following some rules as if they're written in stone even though I'm aware that they're not. Just learning. Every day is a new adventure. Now c'mon, DJI, get those ND filters to B&H so they can ship 'em to me. :)
Well hope you get them soon
In the meantime your P4P has an adjustable iris which other phantoms did not.
By settings the iris to f5.6 or f8 or f11 it will cutdown on the light entering the camera similar to the ND filters. f11 being the setting to cutdown light the most. and still allow you to keep a 2 times frame rate shutter speed.
Try it , you can fly more and get good images ...That's always good.

Well hope you get them soon
In the meantime your P4P has an adjustable iris which other phantoms did not.
By settings the iris to f5.6 or f8 or f11 it will cutdown on the light entering the camera similar to the ND filters. f11 being the setting to cutdown light the most. and still allow you to keep a 2 times frame rate shutter speed.
Try it , you can fly more and get good images ...That's always good.
So I can't fly in low light if I want to?... yes I can, and I did. I do realize that the P4P camera in manual mode has independently adjustable aperture and shutter speed, thanks! Sorry that you didn't care for the early morning video. I kind of like it.

So I can't fly in low light if I want to?... yes I can, and I did. I do realize that the P4P camera in manual mode has independently adjustable aperture and shutter speed, thanks! Sorry that you didn't care for the early morning video. I kind of like it.
What?? I said nothing about low light.
I asked " why you can't stop down the lense and shoot under brighter conditions
You replied " I can, and I've done so for years with Phantoms including this latest one
So seeing that previous Phantoms could not do this , hence one reason to need ND filters,
I thought you didn't understand. Clearly you do, so great.

So seeing that previous Phantoms could not do this , hence one reason to need ND filters
I found Frederick Hagan's instructional videos on YouTube recently, after getting my P4P, and he's convinced me that ND filters are still very useful with the P4P for video, to keep the shutter speed down and and also to keep the aperture in the lower numbers.

With my P3P I habitually used combination polarized/ND lenses but now I understand better the limitations of polarized lenses.

Setting white balance instead of using automatic white balance is another thing that I'm now sold on.

Sure was easy when all I ever did was tap the "start video" button, but watching excellent videos that other people have created keeps making me want to up my game.

Here's one of Frederick Hagan's videos:

I found Frederick Hagan's instructional videos on YouTube recently, after getting my P4P, and he's convinced me that ND filters are still very useful with the P4P for video, to keep the shutter speed down and and also to keep the aperture in the lower numbers.

With my P3P I habitually used combination polarized/ND lenses but now I understand better the limitations of polarized lenses.

Setting white balance instead of using automatic white balance is another thing that I'm now sold on.

Sure was easy when all I ever did was tap the "start video" button, but watching excellent videos that other people have created keeps making me want to up my game.

Here's one of Frederick Hagan's videos:
Exactly. Do your own tests to see the "sweet" spot aperture and certainly ND filters will give you better control to achieve that. Depending on the effect you need.
My reply was geared to your comment that you ONLY fly near dusk and dawn and using the aperture control would allow you to fly and shoot in brighter conditions.( upto 4stops brighter)
I think your research tied with experimenting will be a lot of fun and satisfaction. Good stuff.

Once I put the microSD card in the card reader then TV USB port, what then? Is there a channel I need to put the TV on. I recently bought a Sony 4K TV. Pretty excited to see 4K from the P4 pro on it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4