Liability Insurance For Phantoms/ Drones Impossible to get ?

Re: Liability Insurance For Phantoms/ Drones Impossible to g

havasuphoto said:
Thanks-that clears up a lot of confusion. The 1 issue I have is; I believe you must use a Spotter, when flying beyond Visual Range.....??

Yes, just one of many FPV requirements to be flying per the AMA code. Here's their FPV document.

You can pretty well count on the fact that any AMA guide will favor the most cautious approach. Also be reminded that the AMA is (to my knowledge) just a US organization.

Actually, per AMA guideline, you can't fly beyond Visual Range ... I suppose there's really no point to having a spotter if they can't "spot" the craft.

Attachments

• AMA 550 Safety Code.jpg
    AMA 550 Safety Code.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 414

Hi

Just spotted your post... Quite weird that you would say that because I spent some time in the UK gathering footage for a client - and Im from South Africa. Client paid us 450 quid a day and Bob was my uncle. No one asked a thing. Just charged up and went bonkers for 10 days. Paid for my time in the UK and took cash home.... and I have rights to use the footage if I need to. Not sure how law can restrict you to hire your services as a camera operator or videographer. In SA we do it all the time. I produce a few telly shows and we use them commercially ALL the time. Real Estate Agents , Architects, Civil Engineers and Land Surveyors especially. Not to mention Corporate clients in the production environment. We have event used them for telly to get aerials at cricket games.

Just saying

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
OI Photography said:
Recently a federal judge ruled that the FAA currently does not have any regulations in place that apply to drone use. FAA appealed, and has new regs in the pipeline already, but for now it's currently an open market.
It Is illegal here in the UK to use one for Commercial gains

http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/aerial-photo-uav-fpv-law.asp

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
havasuphoto said:
Thanks-that clears up a lot of confusion. The 1 issue I have is; I believe you must use a Spotter, when flying beyond Visual Range.....??
This is with FPV goggles
Yes......you have to use a spotter if you are flying FPV.

Crazykaktus said:
Hi

Just spotted your post... Quite weird that you would say that because I spent some time in the UK gathering footage for a client - and Im from South Africa. Client paid us 450 quid a day and Bob was my uncle. No one asked a thing. Just charged up and went bonkers for 10 days. Paid for my time in the UK and took cash home.... and I have rights to use the footage if I need to. Not sure how law can restrict you to hire your services as a camera operator or videographer. In SA we do it all the time. I produce a few telly shows and we use them commercially ALL the time. Real Estate Agents , Architects, Civil Engineers and Land Surveyors especially. Not to mention Corporate clients in the production environment. We have event used them for telly to get aerials at cricket games.

Just saying

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
OI Photography said:
Recently a federal judge ruled that the FAA currently does not have any regulations in place that apply to drone use. FAA appealed, and has new regs in the pipeline already, but for now it's currently an open market.

Have you got a licensee? as its ilegal unles you have paid about £2500 odd

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
Crazykaktus said:
Hi

Just saying

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
OI Photography said:

Have you got a licensee? as its ilegal unles you have paid about £2500 odd

I don't know what you find ridiculous about the fact that you can do it as a hobby for a small amount of money but when you want to use it for business out have to pay more, it's the same for everything in life. Drive a car, no probs, use it for business and you start to need business insurance etc and costs go up.

davemcm said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:
Crazykaktus said:
I don't know what you find ridiculous about the fact that you can do it as a hobby for a small amount of money but when you want to use it for business out have to pay more, it's the same for everything in life. Drive a car, no probs, use it for business and you start to need business insurance etc and costs go up.
Driving a car is seen as commercial any way hence you need a license whether or not your using it for work or personal

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
davemcm said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:
Crazykaktus said:
Driving a car is seen as commercial any way hence you need a license whether or not your using it for work or personal

I was talking about insurance, not license, as thats what this thread was about.

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
No ... operator licensing is intended to insure that people who drive on the public roadways have demonstrated both knowledge of traffic rules and at least minimal proficiency in operating a vehicle.

Visioneer said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:
No ... operator licensing is intended to insure that people who drive on the public roadways have demonstrated both knowledge of traffic rules and at least minimal proficiency in operating a vehicle.

Lol don't get him started, be on spouting "freeman" ******** all night :s

davemcm said:
Visioneer said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:

Lol don't get him started, be on spouting "freeman" ******** all night :s

He can spout "freeman" all he wants, it has nothing to do with WHY operators are required to have licenses. It's for safety.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1