Liability Insurance For Phantoms/ Drones Impossible to get ?

Reaction score
Hi there i have been thinking about his and i have come to the conclusion that liability insurance can not exist for drone/phantom flying. Now i plan on using me phantom to record festivals films videos music videos promo videos and so on...... now people in this community bang on about did i have liability insurance when I did this or that, but on the other hand they telling me you can not use the phantom for commercial gains/use... so that voids needing liability insurance as liability insurance are for money making businesses now how can you get liability insurance for something that you can not use as a business its not possible ? Has no one noticed this ? Thanks for your thoughts on this

Re: Liability Insurance For Phantoms/ Drones Impossible to g

Commercial use is not currently restricted, thought that may change once the current legal drama plays out. Someday.

There are places that will currently write liability coverage for commercial drone use. One example: http://aerialpak.com/

Btw, liability may have nothing to do with regulation. You can face liability in a situation even if that activity is prohibited by law...in fact it may increase your exposure.

OI Photography said:
Commercial use is not currently restricted, thought that may change once the current legal drama plays out. Someday.

There are places that will currently write liability coverage for commercial drone use. One example: http://aerialpak.com/

Btw, liability may have nothing to do with regulation. You can face liability in a situation even if that activity is prohibited by law...in fact it may increase your exposure.
So i could sell the hire of me and my phantom ? I have seen on you tube and been told on here its illegal ?

Recently a federal judge ruled that the FAA currently does not have any regulations in place that apply to drone use. FAA appealed, and has new regs in the pipeline already, but for now it's currently an open market.

OI Photography said:

Checked out your l;ink but im in UK so have asked them but i doubt they will cover me thanks for your input will check to see if we got it here

Forgot you were in the UK. Regs are different there and do specifically apply to UAV's. Commercial use isn't completely out, but there's some significant hoops to jump through. A bit of research will turn up companies over there using them commercially for a number of roles.

OI Photography said:
Recently a federal judge ruled that the FAA currently does not have any regulations in place that apply to drone use. FAA appealed, and has new regs in the pipeline already, but for now it's currently an open market.
It Is illegal here in the UK to use one for Commercial gains

http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/aerial-photo-uav-fpv-law.asp

OI Photography said:

If you click their SIGN UP NOW link you get:

"There is no insurance company that writes coverage for the aircraft and camera rigs at this time. This application form is solely for the purpose of collecting information for quoting and writing general liability insurance."

From that site:

"It has come to our attention that the CAA has a law within the UK with regards UAV usage for commercial gain. If you intend to fly your aircraft for video or photograpy for personal financial gain the CAA require the user to hold a Civil Pilots licence and must undertake relevant check to fly their aircraft.

The Law for the CAA states this in there CAP 722 Document available to download from the CAA website."

From this site:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9810&p=84016
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5620&p=41207

From the CAA's site: http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?CATID=1995

To fly commercially in the UK you must obtain CAA permission and have public liabilities insurance.
To get CAA permission you must pass either the BNUC-S or RPQ-S certifications and submit a flight operations manual. These things are not trivial. I am going through the process myself now. It's expensive (Factor on £1500 to do the course, exams and get CAA permission) then £900 / year for the liabilities insurance. You won't get the liabilities insurance unless you have the CAA permission by the way.

It's a long road.

I word of warning though, don't even think about trying to operate without the required permission. The CAA are cracking down hard and are handing out some pretty heavy fines. Not to mention if you actually hurt someone while operating illegally, then they could literally throw the book at you.

However, based on your previous response to advice given on here with regard to your night club flight, I expect you will just go ahead and do it anyway.

rilot said:
To fly commercially in the UK you must obtain CAA permission and have public liabilities insurance.
To get CAA permission you must pass either the BNUC-S or RPQ-S certifications and submit a flight operations manual. These things are not trivial. I am going through the process myself now. It's expensive (Factor on £1500 to do the course, exams and get CAA permission) then £900 / year for the liabilities insurance. You won't get the liabilities insurance unless you have the CAA permission by the way.

It's a long road.

I word of warning though, don't even think about trying to operate without the required permission. The CAA are cracking down hard and are handing out some pretty heavy fines. Not to mention if you actually hurt someone while operating illegally, then they could literally throw the book at you.

However, based on your previous response to advice given on here with regard to your night club flight, I expect you will just go ahead and do it anyway.

I did not break no laws then. did not do it for personal gain and I never will, I also think its one big scam all that money just to do what people are doing already its ridiculous, a big con. I find it funny how people can be so stupid and pay it. Like little sheep they jump to the sound of the controlling few. I will fly my phantom responsibly in my eyes to the best i can. I do not need to pay out £2400 to just have there approval no way that is absurd, and liability insurance is just people not taking responsibility for there actions.

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
I did not break no laws then. did not do it for personal gain and I never will, I also think its one big scam all that money just to do what people are doing already its ridiculous, a big con. I find it funny how people can be so stupid and pay it. Like little sheep they jump to the sound of the controlling few. I will fly my phantom responsibly in my eyes to the best i can. I do not need to pay out £2400 to just have there approval no way that is absurd, and liability insurance is just people not taking responsibility for there actions.

You asked, so I told you. So, I'm a sheep am I for ensuring that my business isn't fined or sued? OK then, baa!
Go ahead then. You will got no more advice from me or any other professional operators.
If you operate commercially without the required license and permission from the CAA you are breaking the law. Simple as that.
I am assuming you apply the same logic to things like paying your taxes, driving a car or any other laws of this land.

Do yourself, me and others a favour and just fly for fun. If you insist on breaking the law by flying commercially without a license you are just adding to the excuses the CAA will use to further crack down on commercial UAV use.

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
It Is illegal here in the UK to use one for Commercial gains

No it isn't !! What about BNUC? Pleae do not post misleading posts.

Commercial photography/videography using a UAV is perfectly legal here in the UK and has been for some time providing you hold the relevant certificates permissions and insurance coverage.

rilot said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:

You asked, so I told you. So, I'm a sheep am I for ensuring that my business isn't fined or sued? OK then, baa!
Go ahead then. You will got no more advice from me or any other professional operators.
If you operate commercially without the required license and permission from the CAA you are breaking the law. Simple as that.
I am assuming you apply the same logic to things like paying your taxes, driving a car or any other laws of this land.

Do yourself, me and others a favour and just fly for fun. If you insist on breaking the law by flying commercially without a license you are just adding to the excuses the CAA will use to further crack down on commercial UAV use.

As i said i will only ever get paid for editing the footage not flying it

It's still commercial activity as it will be used to promote your business.
There's no way round it I'm afraid.

rilot said:
What about if you do not get paid with money at all? say like if i was covering a festival i would not pay to go and they would not pay me for the work ?

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
and liability insurance is just people not taking responsibility for there actions.

You had me going for a while there, but now it's obvious you're just trolling us.

OI Photography said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:
and liability insurance is just people not taking responsibility for there actions.

You had me going for a while there, but now it's obvious you're just trolling us.
Its true Insurance is paying some one else to take responsibility.

This video is good to watch about License to fly it commercially
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQvUVQdnNw

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
rilot said:
What about if you do not get paid with money at all? say like if i was covering a festival i would not pay to go and they would not pay me for the work ?
In the US, both the IRS and the FAA take a very broad view of what constitutes "compensation"--there are plenty of examples out there of folks losing in court. I doubt that most of the clever workarounds ("I just charge for editing!") would stand up to scrutiny if it came down to it (presuming that there were enforceable regs, of course).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers