Liability Insurance For Phantoms/ Drones Impossible to get ?

Re: Liability Insurance For Phantoms/ Drones Impossible to g

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
OI Photography said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:
and liability insurance is just people not taking responsibility for there actions.

You had me going for a while there, but now it's obvious you're just trolling us.
Its true Insurance is paying some one else to take responsibility.

This video is good to watch about License to fly it commercially
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQvUVQdnNw

If you show any potential insurer your video of you flying in a nightclub i'm sure they'd be happy to insure you in a heartbeat :roll:

RUSHNREADY DJI said:

So I'm guessing you don't have any on your car either?

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
This video is good to watch about License to fly it commercially
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQvUVQdnNw

Except it's almost a year old (well behind the current legal state of this issue), and applies to the US and not the UK.

I have told you what you need to know about flying commercially in the UK. Take it from someone who is going through the process themselves.

I'm not making it up and I'm not just following the crowd. These are the rules that need to be followed, just like if you want to drive a car on the road or fly a private aircraft. Sure, you can drive a car without a license or fly a plane but once the authorities find out, you will be subject to prosecution.

dkatz42 said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:
rilot said:
It's still commercial activity as it will be used to promote your business.
There's no way round it I'm afraid.
What about if you do not get paid with money at all? say like if i was covering a festival i would not pay to go and they would not pay me for the work ?
In the US, both the IRS and the FAA take a very broad view of what constitutes "compensation"--there are plenty of examples out there of folks losing in court. I doubt that most of the clever workarounds ("I just charge for editing!") would stand up to scrutiny if it came down to it (presuming that there were enforceable regs, of course).
Ill just do it for free as long as cost are covered there is no personal gain there at all

OI Photography said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:

I do not own a car not yet but i will be going down the freeman road when it comes to it yes

The thing that i find the most funny and ridiculous about the hole thing its ok for you to do all this fly your drone take video and what have you for fun but as soon as you want to make a living form it you got to get a license and liability insurance its all a con. So what happens when all you so called hobbiests who just fly for fun and crash into a car or some one with no liability insurance oh that is ok is it because your doing it for fun and its your hobby what ever . If you all cant see what I am trying to say then I do not see why I try and bother. Its obviously were are on a different page . You should look up freeman of the land and you will see were i am coming from

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
OI Photography said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:

I do not own a car not yet but i will be going down the freeman road when it comes to it yes

Never heard that expression before, but from your history of posts on here I think I can assume what you mean.

Just promise me you'll never accept any gigs in the US or anywhere near anybody I care about.

You might want to ask your club owner friends how frivolous liability insurance is. Don't ask your lawyer though, he'll probably die from laughing. Or drooling.

If you are in the US you should have AMA coverage. Liability for $2 million I think.

Seriously. People sue for the stupidest things. I know a grandmother who fell down the stairs and sued her son-in-law . Home owners covered the damages.

Yes... it's coverage and peace of mind for something or an accident that can happen due to negligence. Stuff happens!

Most insurance policies including liability exclude claims that result from criminal activity. I'm not sure how this plays out with laws in each state regarding quads.

All businesses should have liability insurance.

RUSHNREADY DJI said:
The thing that i find the most funny and ridiculous about the hole thing its ok for you to do all this fly your drone take video and what have you for fun but as soon as you want to make a living form it you got to get a license and liability insurance its all a con. So what happens when all you so called hobbiests who just fly for fun and crash into a car or some one with no liability insurance oh that is ok is it because your doing it for fun and its your hobby what ever . If you all cant see what I am trying to say then I do not see why I try and bother. Its obviously were are on a different page . You should look up freeman of the land and you will see were i am coming from

I have liabilities insurance for hobby flying, so do many others on here if they are sensible. In the UK the BMFA will sort you out for about £20 per year. You can't be flying commercially though.

I am well aware of the concept of "freemen". However I would suggest that if you wish to live in a society that has no laws or rules then you would be better off moving to a lawless country. Maybe Afghanistan. No laws there about flying UAVs.

Good luck with being a "freeman" once you have a car. After you're stopped by the old bill a couple of times, banned, then caught again, you'll end up residing at her majesty's pleasure. No so free then.

Anyway, I'm done. I wish you luck with your endeavours. I just hope that we never cross paths either in the skies or on the roads.

rilot said:
RUSHNREADY DJI said:

I have liabilities insurance for hobby flying, so do many others on here if they are sensible. In the UK the BMFA will sort you out for about £20 per year. You can't be flying commercially though.

I am well aware of the concept of "freemen". However I would suggest that if you wish to live in a society that has no laws or rules then you would be better off moving to a lawless country. Maybe Afghanistan. No laws there about flying UAVs.

Good luck with being a "freeman" once you have a car. After you're stopped by the old bill a couple of times, banned, then caught again, you'll end up residing at her majesty's pleasure. No so free then.

Anyway, I'm done. I wish you luck with your endeavours. I just hope that we never cross paths either in the skies or on the roads.
Only £20 a year for hobbiests but £900 if you want to make money form it whats the difference its risky no mater what your doing i dont think i have watch one hobby flying video were some other person was not in danger

Kind of late to this party but there are two aspects I didn't see mentioned in skimming through.

1) Whether or not you have insurance, you are responsible for the consequences of your actions. If YOU cause damage or injury, YOU will be held responsible. If you have insurance, they'll help pay on YOUR behalf.

2) I have little doubt that the difference in cost for a hobbyist versus a commercial enterprise is "exposure", in this case meaning how much flying you do, and perhaps where you do it. As there's no way for an insurer to really know in advance how many hours you're in the air or where you're flying (i.e., their exposure to risk) they're going to make assumptions ... namely that if it's a commercial endeavor you're going to be in the air a LOT more (all week?) than a hobbyist (weekends less life's duties?). They're probably also going to assume that commercial flyers will be in more "risky" situations. "More risky" not meaning less skilled flying, rather meaning having greater potential for bigger damages if something goes awry. Another aspect at this juncture is the limited universe - meaning there are so few folks in this business that if any one of the few insured have a big loss, there aren't enough premiums being collected to cover it - unless the few premiums are BIG. Insurers are not in business to lose money. Once there are many folks in the business buying insurance, and they have a loss experience history that shows payouts are not that big or frequent, rates may come down.

Although i"m new on here i have read some previous posts, and have noticed that all the recent controversial posts and associated fallout seem to originate from the same OP :eek:

We does everybody keep on repeating the same Factual, Legal and useful information to someone who is not interested or has a different agenda to the other 99.9% of Quad flyers :?:

The name "Troll" has been mentioned ?
When i was a child a "Troll" was something that lived under a Bridge........recently i realised to my shock, that they do not live under a Bridge but actually frequent Forums on the Internet :roll: Is this Evolution :?:

I wonder? as they seem to be increasing, maybe they feed on the positive help from others

Give up Banging your heads on a wall lads, have a cuppa and calm down as there will be another highly debatable/controversial post, coming along soon.......... :roll: :roll:

And save you"re positive help for those that both need and appreciate it :)
Ian

I recommend you look at joining the Academy of Model Aeronautics. Its about 60$ per year. Membership provides Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets. $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors. $25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members. $10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members. $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members. Years ago I was flying a gas RC plane, lost control of it and it hit a guy and knocked a couple of his teeth out. AMA covered this.

Phoskins23 said:
I recommend you look at joining the Academy of Model Aeronautics. Its about 60$ per year. Membership provides Liability Coverage for the Operation of Model Aircraft, Boats, Cars, and Rockets. $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors. $25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members. $10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members. $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members. Years ago I was flying a gas RC plane, lost control of it and it hit a guy and knocked a couple of his teeth out. AMA covered this.
The AMA only covers you when you are flying at a Sanctioned Site or Event. If you go out into your neighborhood and decide to fly around, and your quad crashes into your neighbors Bugatti, you're screwed!! That, will be coming out of your pocket.
Just an example....nothing more or less.
Read the AMA "Regulations" regarding their insurance, before you "rely" on that insurance.

Those in the Film Industry probably already know this, but; when you are on a "closed set"(most are), you, and your equipment(get a signed contract!!), are covered!! They have this blanket coverage for movies and commercials, that covers everything.
Why do you think they crashed 4 Phantoms when they made the Toyota Rav commercial??? :)

FYI, has anyone gotten a quote, from the link OI Photography posted??

BALDYIAN said:
Although i"m new on here i have read some previous posts, and have noticed that all the recent controversial posts and associated fallout seem to originate from the same OP :eek:

We does everybody keep on repeating the same Factual, Legal and useful information to someone who is not interested or has a different agenda to the other 99.9% of Quad flyers :?:

The name "Troll" has been mentioned ?
When i was a child a "Troll" was something that lived under a Bridge........recently i realised to my shock, that they do not live under a Bridge but actually frequent Forums on the Internet :roll: Is this Evolution :?:

I wonder? as they seem to be increasing, maybe they feed on the positive help from others

Give up Banging your heads on a wall lads, have a cuppa and calm down as there will be another highly debatable/controversial post, coming along soon.......... :roll: :roll:

And save you"re positive help for those that both need and appreciate it :)
Ian

Excuse me i am not troll thank you I have valid points, what because i am not a mug means i am trolling you ok

Phoskins23 said:
Thanks for this great info but i am in the UK

havasuphoto said:
Phoskins23 said:
The AMA only covers you when you are flying at a Sanctioned Site or Event. If you go out into your neighborhood and decide to fly around, and your quad crashes into your neighbors Bugatti, you're screwed!! That, will be coming out of your pocket.
Just an example....nothing more or less.
Read the AMA "Regulations" regarding their insurance, before you "rely" on that insurance.

Those in the Film Industry probably already know this, but; when you are on a "closed set"(most are), you, and your equipment(get a signed contract!!), are covered!! They have this blanket coverage for movies and commercials, that covers everything.
Why do you think they crashed 4 Phantoms when they made the Toyota Rav commercial??? :)

FYI, has anyone gotten a quote, from the link OI Photography posted??

I will be using my quad copter on a film set very soon in my local mall and yeah that is covered by the set insurance

There apparently is some confusion regards the applicability of AMA insurance, especially with regard to flying sites.

Following is an excerpt of my query to the AMA on this issue, and their response. Where you fly is not limited EXCEPT that you MUST comply with their Safety Code for the insurance to be in effect. "Your insurance is in effect while flying at any location as long as you are following the Safety Code." You'll also note that coverage is limited to flying for "sport, recreation, education and/or competition"; it's not for commercial endeavors.

A copy of the latest AMA Safety Code also follows. The AMA documents referenced therein may be found at http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx

Attachments

• AMA InsuranceE.jpg
    AMA InsuranceE.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 547
  • AMA 105 Safety Code.jpg
    AMA 105 Safety Code.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 552

Thanks-that clears up a lot of confusion. The 1 issue I have is; I believe you must use a Spotter, when flying beyond Visual Range.....??

havasuphoto said:
Thanks-that clears up a lot of confusion. The 1 issue I have is; I believe you must use a Spotter, when flying beyond Visual Range.....??
This is with FPV goggles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31