Landed in a hay field!

There was nothing in your flight data that indicated the drone "decided to land".
It stayed hovering at the same altitude for the last 1.5 minutes of the flight.
Yes, that's the conclusion I came to but it sure did end up in the grass!

Here it is!

Yes, that's the conclusion I came to but it sure did end up in the grass!

Here it is!
Yeh I certainly went in the grass,,,can you view it in app , that shows stick inputs
It was strange movement, it went from inflight almost to a stop ,reversed and landed in one move

Um get to your flights screen,its triangle arrow on home screen that brings this screen up then click on the flight you want and it loads and plays back for you,,it show flight path ,height,speed and stick inputs,,mayby it might have a clue as to what happen,,its not data but shows your flight
Screenshot_20210507-081140.jpg
it will come up similar to airdata version,,as it plays the stick indercaters will move ,,
Screenshot_20210604-220114_Google.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have managed to open the right .txt file inPhantom Log Viewer and these are the csv, csv-verbose and log files from that.
The landing in grass is at the very end of the flight, from the big Oak tree up the L/H side of the filed!

Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 14.02.39.png

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-06-01_[15-23-53]csv.zip
    193.1 KB · Views: 99
  • DJIFlightRecord_2021-06-01_[15-23-53]csv-verbose.zip
    369.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DJIFlightRecord_2021-06-01_[15-23-53]log.zip
    582.5 KB · Views: 92
I have managed to open the right .txt file inPhantom Log Viewer and these are the csv, csv-verbose and log files from that.
The landing in grass is at the very end of the flight, from the big Oak tree up the L/H side of the filed!

View attachment 122249
That's the same flight data file that you posted previously.
It doesn't show any landing.
At 9:22 you brought the Phantom down to 10 metres and at 9:38 you descended to an indicated height of 5 metres.
You flew around a little and hovered until 11:01.9 when you pulled the left stick down for 1 second, but the indicated altitude shows no descent.
The flight ends at 11:03.6 with the drone still at an indicated height of 5 metres ... exactly the same indicated height it had been for 1.5 minutes.

I give up trying to sort out and understand these files!
Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for all the help!
If you are sure that that is the correct flight, perhaps you can tell how high the drone was hovering above the crop for the last 1.5 minutes.
As the barometric sensor often drifts during a flight and there was no VPS data, it's not known if the 15 ft indicated height was accurate or how far out it might have been.

If you look at the video in post #23 at 20sec it stops and then descends. Probably no more than 1mtr above the grass.
That video represents the last 20 sec of the flight shown in screen shot in post #28 leading up to the "Landed here".

Thanks for all the help!
Agree they certainly need to be simplified so we all can understand them
I'm sure you'll figure out what did happen
In your post #27 where your watching the playback,any sign of any message warnings ,,under the message logo as flight plays back it should show anything not normal most probably towards the very end of flight ,,no low battery alerts, there was a few flights but surely it would notify you you with a prompt if that happen,and it wouldn't just go down like that,I'm still just as stumped you on this but also very curious to know,very best of luck
Large cup of tea with a dab of whiskey to ease the mind

No, absolutely nothing in the way of warnings.
That field has a slight upwards slope in the direction I was flying and I'm wondering that, it being long grass, the VPS didn't pick up the fact that the ground was getting nearer and kept the drone level, thereby basically flying into the rising ground. At the last minute it realised that it was too low, panicked and landed? (Can a drone panic??)

No, absolutely nothing in the way of warnings.
That field has a slight upwards slope in the direction I was flying and I'm wondering that, it being long grass, the VPS didn't pick up the fact that the ground was getting nearer and kept the drone level, thereby basically flying into the rising ground. At the last minute it realised that it was too low, panicked and landed? (Can a drone panic??)
FLY443.DAT corresponds to the .txt and video you submitted. There were two full negative throttle inputs at the end, each about 1.5 secs in duration. The first caused the P3AP to descend into the grass. The second stopped the motors. From the motor speed and current data it is apparent that the leftBack motor got caught up in the grass.
1623017788834.png

Hi Bud, long time no hear and many thanks for coming on. I couldn't work out how to display this data using the CSV View! It seems to have changed?
As soon as I saw the drone enter the grass I stopped the motors, not before as I remember, left stick hard back, to prevent any damage.
Also, when I was looking for the drone I did a couple of motor starts/stops so that I could hear the noise to locate it,

I presume these are the start/stops from 800 onwards.........
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 08.57.39.png

As a matter of interest, can one get this sort of information from the .txt file? It would be much easier than uploading the .DAT from the drone?
Can I delete all the earlier .DAT files from the drone, save hunting through them all every time.

Last edited:
Hi Bud, long time no hear and many thanks for coming on. I couldn't work out how to display this data using the CSV View! It seems to have changed?
As soon as I saw the drone enter the grass I stopped the motors, not before as I remember, left stick hard back, to prevent any damage.
Also, when I was looking for the drone I did a couple of motor starts/stops so that I could hear the noise to locate it,

I presume these are the start/stops from 800 onwards.........
View attachment 122263

As a matter of interest, can one get this sort of information from the .txt file? It would be much easier than uploading the .DAT from the drone?
Can I delete all the earlier .DAT files from the drone, save hunting through them all every time.
There were two full negative throttle inputs. The first started at 662.11 and lasted about 1.5 secs. That caused the descent into the grass.. The negative throttle was then released for about .5 secs. Then the second full negative throttle occurred at 664.2 secs also lasting for about 1.5 secs. This second one stopped the motors.

The .txt does contain these data but the down link was lost just after the first full negative throttle was initiated. Also, the .txt will stop recording when the flight terminates. I.e. the attempted motor starts after the flight won't appear in the .txt.

Yes, CsvView (and DatCon) is always changing - usually, but not always, for the better. Not sure which changes you are referring to though.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik