Why I would think twice about "droning" as a career...Lightning cable saga...

CV-66, USS America (RIP), onboard with VFA-82 (F/A-18C Hornets) from 92'-96'. Nasty *** brown shirt. :D.

As a guest, we were allowed any color we wished. I saw a bunch of green shirts and a bunch of red shirts (if I recall correctly) and one white shirt. I said, "I'll take the white one, please"...<;^)

The cable length spec on USB3 is 3 meters. Expecting good performance at or beyond the spec isn’t realistic. USB3 is the governing spec for lightening cables.
The iPad Pro (and I think the iPhone X, iPhone 8, and 8 Plus) uses a USB 3 chipset, but the other models are USB 2 for data and power. But anything over 3 meters is a crap shoot.

Harley- this is an old thread but you never actually posted what your preferred cable is after your tests. I still have an iPhone 11 and although I don’t need it to fly anymore with my Mavic three I do need it for everything else I’d like to replace a 9 foot cable I’ve been using, that just now died on me from having the end frayed. I do have these little spiral rubber attachments I can put on my cables now that greatly extend their life by preventing them from being bent at either and too much.

Harley- this is an old thread but you never actually posted what your preferred cable is after your tests. I still have an iPhone 11 and although I don’t need it to fly anymore with my Mavic three I do need it for everything else I’d like to replace a 9 foot cable I’ve been using, that just now died on me from having the end frayed. I do have these little spiral rubber attachments I can put on my cables now that greatly extend their life by preventing them from being bent at either and too much.
It's really hard to say because I use different cables for different iPads and different scenarios. Most of the time I dock the iPad (Lightning connector) to the controller, so I only need a 1 foot cable. For this I have used the Smavco 12" cable with great success. Since they are so cheap I keep spares. But honestly, I haven't had any problem with the cable since I purchased it over 2 years ago. I fly construction every week with this cable, 52 weeks a year.

1708013138946.png

Other times I'll use an 11ish foot cable to connect my Thunderbolt iPad to a controller on a stand.
1708012900509.png

In the case of the latter, the cable is very thick and heavy. It has been 100% reliable and is very robust. The brand is Anker.

I made a "cable shootout" video a while ago, but it doesn't cover Thunderbolt™ cables - just Lightning™ cables. The video tests brand new cables and doesn't take longevity into account. The Thunderbolt™ Anker cable I use today is NOT featured in the video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I hope this helps.

D

Last edited:
Thanks. Confirms my decision anyway. I’ve had good luck with Anker and had already ordered one this morning. 😃

I needed a replacement for a 9’ cable.
Appreciated!

Reactions: Harleydude

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.