Landed in a hay field!

Reaction score
I was flying quite low, about 10 feet, scanning a hay field prior to the farmer cutting it in case there were any deer/fauns which won't move.
With no warnings the P3A decided to just land.
I'm trying to find the .txt file to see if it can give me a clue but can't find it?
Here are the files....im looking for DJI_0013 .txt.
Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 16.56.54.jpg

Thanks for that. Yes the flight was very short, just halfway along one side ofd the field, about a couple of minutes!

I'm using msinger's VIEWER but it only allows you a couple of attempts. Is there another one out there??

Last edited:
Yeh lots of short flights but not enough to chew the power,longest was 3 mins,
Be interesting to see,,,I'd hold off using that battery till you find out what happened

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. Yes the flight was very short, just halfway along one side ofd the field, about a couple of minutes!

I'm using msinger's VIEWER but it only allows you a couple of attempts. Is there another one out there??
There is this one aswell,says unlimited and from Mike also
Came up with Google search called Flight Reader
Screenshot_20210602-194753_Chrome.jpg

Has this sort of info
Screenshot_20210602-195933_Chrome.jpg

Thanks ianzone, I saw this but it costs a minimum of $99 which as a UK pensioner I don't have to spend on recreational stuff ??
Later today I'll be allowed back into Mike's program so I'll look at those small files.

Thanks ianzone, I saw this but it costs a minimum of $99 which as a UK pensioner I don't have to spend on recreational stuff ??
Later today I'll be allowed back into Mike's program so I'll look at those small files.
Gezz sorry I didnt realize that,I got a fright reading though,that's top $$ alright
Good luck and take care

You don't know which flight it was?
If you do, post the .txt file and I can look at it.

It was one of the short, about 2 minute flights so probably this one.

Paste and go, this is the file.

file:///Users/michaeldearden/Desktop/today/DJI%20Flight%20Log%20Viewer%20-%20PhantomHelp.com.webarchive

I don't see anything that indicates why it landed..............

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2021-06-01_[15-23-53].txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I was flying quite low, about 10 feet, scanning a hay field prior to the farmer cutting it in case there were any deer/fauns which won't move.
With no warnings the P3A decided to just land.
This was an 11 minute flight where you flew up to 100 metres early and came down to around 50 metres for much of the flight.
At 9:22 you brought the Phantom down to 10 metres and at 9:38 you descended to an indicated height of 5 metres.
You flew around a little and hovered until 11:01.9 when you pulled the left stick down for 1 second and the flight ends at 11:03.6 with the drone still at an indicated height of 5 metres.

You had the VPS disabled so there's no indication of the actual height above ground.
But the barometric sensor doesn't shows teh drone staying within 0.5 metres of the indicated 5 metres for the last minute of flight, with no indication of the drone descending from the level it was at.

Thanks Meta4. I wasn't aware that the VPS was disabled, not done it myself deliberately. On an earlier flight I noticed that the drone didn't like to be near the ground, wouldn't hold height! I will check that out!
Not sure where you're getting the times from? I was flying at about 1630 UK time and I thought the file indicated that?
I have also uploaded the .DAT files friom the drone memory but can't make much sense of them.

This was an 11 minute flight where you flew up to 100 metres early and came down to around 50 metres for much of the flight.
At 9:22 you brought the Phantom down to 10 metres and at 9:38 you descended to an indicated height of 5 metres.
You flew around a little and hovered until 11:01.9 when you pulled the left stick down for 1 second and the flight ends at 11:03.6 with the drone still at an indicated height of 5 metres.

You had the VPS disabled so there's no indication of the actual height above ground.
But the barometric sensor doesn't shows teh drone staying within 0.5 metres of the indicated 5 metres for the last minute of flight, with no indication of the drone descending from the level it was at.
So doesn't the barometric sensor work with vps off . I read this over and over and still confused, I know sounds stupid ,I'm just trying to see what happened,,to me does that mean it land but still above ground? Strong hay ,

The grass is almost 1mtr tall and I think that even if the VPS was on, it might still get confused flying over this very tall grass as it can over waves/water.

I used to fly couple inches off the ground very often but always with vps off so it still makes me think of something I cant answer, if my vps was on as you mention the drone didnt like bein near the ground or trying to land on some surfaces and most times it wouldn't land on some,I had to come in next to what I was trying to land on,,,still boggles me brain lol,,some flights I did with landing gear 20mm of the ground,my drone was good leaf blower and was good at it,I'm still stumped on this even though the data shows what happen..
Is this the same for the pro ?
Did it lose GPS by any chance for split second, I can be automatically triggered,,could this explain the lack of data at end of flight or am I over thinking....I'll go sleep on it and see what my brain makes of it all
Screenshot_20210604-001820_Chrome.jpg

Ah, so VPS would have been "ON" in my case, when I turned the drone on. You have to physically turn it off from the menu if you want it off.
As I said, from what I could see it just seemed to stop, hover and then gently "land" in the grass. I immediately cut the motors.

So doesn't the barometric sensor work with vps off . I read this over and over and still confused, I know sounds stupid ,I'm just trying to see what happened,,to me does that mean it land but still above ground? Strong hay ,
The barometric sensor works independently of the VPS.
I mentioned that VPS was not working because the indicated height at the end of the flight was 5 metres but I couldn't tell what height the drone was above the ground as it's common and normal for the barometric sensor to shift during a flight and give readings that are a few metres out.

There's nothing wrong with shutting off the VPS.
Mine has been shut off for years as it doesn't do anything that's really important.

Hi Cheddarman, I have been helping out a local farmer in Devon myself recently. As I did last year, I have been flying low over wheat seed trial beds. There are about 30 beds set out as strips across a field. I use a Litchi mission so that I can fly the exact same route at 4M up over the beds every 3 weeks. The aim is for farmers to be able to see the crop develop and so choose the best performing wheat variety. It is pretty dull viewing but you can clearly see the difference in the development of the crop. Here is a link to the first flight this year when the wheat was just out of the ground -

All the best, Martin

My word, that was a thrilling video ??? but then you did warn us!

Yes I thin k I'll set up a Litchi flight plan but I still don't know why my drone decided to land! Luckily it was only just up the field but could have been a long way off! Makes me nervous to fly!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl