Either that's a poorly written article or something isn't right. Specifically -

"prohibit the launching, landing and operation of unmanned aerial systems on or above its owned and managed lands."

The consensus on this board is that only the feds (via the FAA) can restrict operations in the national air space. So, the highlighted text is ********, yes? Of course, proving that could be expensive.

Yes, something isn't right. Anytime there is an article about anything from any news agency, you have to determine if the reporting agency is credulous or not. Mostly, they just want the story. Many times the stories are just fillers and they don't care about the details, true or not. I try not to rely on news articles as the end all. Basically, you can use a news source to learn that something has happened and if concerned, you should research it further. Best to go to the county seat and ask someone responsible who knows the truth, and I agree, not just a receptionist. But, then again, what a hassle to have to do this every time we want to fly.

I don't think the park has anything to say about that that would be enforceable in a court of law.

Right. That's why I said it would be expensive to prove the ordnance was not enforceable. You get cited. What do you do? Pay the $100 (whatever) fine and be done with it. Or, pay 50x or more and fight it in court.

Reactions: NRJ
Tax payers fund these parks and the people's wages. When are people going to start sticking up for their rights? There is no justification in banning drones in ANY publicly owned place.
I bet you are allowed to carry guns there? I think they are a a little worse...............................
Their thinking is, shut up , suck it up and just give us our tax money!

don't know of any distance away from you rule except keeping the aircraft in your line of site, i.e. ,can you see it? then its ok

California for ya, god how do some of you live in that state.
There are a few state/county parks by me and some illegal and they would never bother us.

exactly . This whole drone ban thing is out of control, just like CA with gun laws, they have ZERO idea why.
Dedicate an area, if they want. , I'd sit outside the fence and just fly over the entire park :) put it at 350 feet, they don't own that airspace

Lol, love it.

I did know that drones are illegal in all California State parks, but I was not aware they were banned from Santa Clara County parks.

Actually, where does this come from? The most recent information I've found (as of August 2016) is that it is allowed in CA State Parks unless specifically posted otherwise.

Summary: CA - CALIFORNIA STATE PARK SYSTEM CONFIRMS: DRONE USE IS ALLOWED - NASPD

Here's the official document: https://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/937/files/csp_uas.pdf

Reactions: NRJ
1) How do I verify if it really is illegal to fly drones in all santa clara county parks, when its not publicly posted anywhere (that I can find)? Should I call their offices? Who should I ask? I don't think the receptionist who answers the phone will know anything about drone regulations. Who should I ask to speak to? And if it turns out to be legal, should I somehow get it in writing to show to park rangers in the future?

I think found the regulation: Chapter 8.60 UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS

In particular, note this applies to "people engaging in large venue events". It is not a blanket ban, it is ban only on flying over crowds (which technically the FAA regulations already prohibit anyway). So unless they can point to a different regulation, the ranger is taking an incorrect interpretation.

Reactions: sonof40
Ah thanks daveisim. It looks like the section in question is:

Sec. B14-51.2. - Regulated activities.
(a) The following activities could interfere with and/or be potentially dangerous to others using the County parks. Therefore, these activities must take place in specifically designated areas. Also, a special use permit for the following activities is required.
(2) Self-propelled (gas motor or other drive) model airplanes, boats or other model craft.​

There's a bunch more text after it regarding the process for permits. I wonder how hard it is to get a permit in practice, e.g. if you have a part 107 and want to do an event in the park...

(2) Self-propelled (gas motor or other drive) model airplanes, boats or other model craft.​
[/INDENT]

One might be able to to argue that if you are a Part 107 pilot then it's a Part 107 flight and you are flying an aircraft, not a model plane (as defined under the hobby public law). [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

One might be able to to argue that if you are a Part 107 pilot then it's a Part 107 flight and you are flying an aircraft, not a model plane (as defined under the hobby public law). [emoji15]

I'd argue that a Phantom isn't a model plane to start with. It isn't modeled after anything larger, it is the original size and construction of itself.

Personally I think that's splitting hairs, that a phantom is not airplane, but an aircraft. These laws were written before drones were in mainstream. It also could be argued on their point that it was their intent, and I'm sure that's exactly have a judge would look at it. Anyway, it also says "other model craft."

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr