Just purchased my first Drone (DJI Phantom 3 - Advanced) What should I get/know beforehand?

Reaction score
I've been flying quadcopters (hubsan's) for a while now and really wanted to upgrade. I was actually going to get the Phantom 2 Vision + like a week before the P3 came out so i'm glad I waited. I ordered the P3 (Without battery for now) since they should be shipping end of April. I wanted to get suggestions on things I might want to get ahead of time. I know I will be purchasing extra propellers, and I'm currently looking at cases (but most places i've been reading are saying that the P3 is slightly larger then the P2 so it wont fit in P2 cases). I'm already aware of the basics such as what to steer clear of when flying, make sure to check weather, radio antennas etc..

Thanks.

I updated my list of cases here to mark those that are listed by the vendors as fitting the Phantom 3:
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

I'm assuming many existing cases will not work due to the change in the size/configuration of the remote controller.

You should also pick up a better memory card -- like this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: blampert
awesome! On that note, is it very common that most people that have a DJI Phantom, have a case? Also on the topic of a memory card, what's a good size to start off with.

A case is a wise investment if you ever plan to transport your Phantom. It'll keep it safe when you're not using it too.

Memory cards are pretty inexpensive. So, it makes sense to go with the max -- 64 GB class 10. And, you should definitely go with a 64 GB card if you bought the Phantom 3 Professional. Shooting video in 4k will use up more memory.

Reactions: ccase39
Gimbal protection.
Going to strap some plastic from skid to skid to protect the gimbal.
Maybe fabricate some metal to protect the camera from popping off and damaging the ribbon.

Thoughts on Prop Guards? I've noticed in a lot of drone videos that people never use them.

Going to strap some plastic from skid to skid to protect the gimbal.
Wouldn't that interfere with the new sensor?

Reactions: Mako79
If using an Apple device, you'll also need a short lightening cable to hook your iPhone/iPad to the remote controller -- like this one.

Last edited:
I updated my list of cases here to mark those that are listed by the vendors as fitting the Phantom 3:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/#Cases

Thats a helpful list, I was hoping the GoProfessional backpack for the P2 V+ might also have been tried with the P3 as I noticed the special edition version appeared on one of the P3 videos.

Is there a list on which devices are compatible with P3? Specifically I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 w/ Android Lollipop (And a iPad mini if I need to use it)

Last edited:
blampert, see the list of recommended devices at the bottom of this page.

Last edited:
I would say a case is a must. Its really a no brainer considering what it protects and how much it would cost to replace the camera and gimbal if broken.

Also, any thoughts on the prop guards? And how does the controller get charged? I've seen some videos where people suggested to buy one of those small battery backup charger things.

Don't forget to purchase drone insurance. I'm selling it half off from last year, and you get an additional 10% off if you direct deposit into my bank in Mexico. Also, practice flying slow controlled figure eights in both directions. Master that and you won't need prop guards--the last time I heard someones life was saved because of prop guards was... never.

Don't forget to purchase drone insurance. I'm selling it half off from last year, and you get an additional 10% off if you direct deposit into my bank in Mexico. Also, practice flying slow controlled figure eights in both directions. Master that and you won't need prop guards--the last time I heard someones life was saved because of prop guards was... never.

dude.....you forgot to let me know your bank number...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers