I've sink my drone last week end ... leason learned !

Also keep in mind that the DJI Go app has a little radar-like section at the bottom with the Phantom's orientation and direction from you, so you should be able to turn towards and fly towards you. The distance and altitude are also displayed; which in conjunction with the orientation info should help you narrow down where to look if you lose sight of it.
Ok I was thinking it was pointing at the "home point" ... but what you say makes sense ... I've just never get "moving operator" while using DJI GO before this week end ... and while in the action, I just don't know what I could trust as information so I've just switch back to Eye Sight to take it back home ... but I've got a little fear when I see the bird flying toward "HOME" that was miles away ...

That picture is interesting. No prop....

Likely not going to get much out of a ditching like that although you might be able to get the video off the card so long as it has not been submerged long enough to let electrolysis mess it up. I wash my SD cards all of the time. No problemo!
That is what I was thinking......what happens when you forget to tighten them well.....will be interesting to see how many people claim it [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
no prop.jpg

If you look closely you can still see the remainder of the screw-thread. It looks like the prop ran into something and did'n get loose. Maybe a seagull or some flying fish ;)?

View attachment 63895

If you look closely you can still see the remainder of the screw-thread. It looks like the prop ran into something and did'n get loose. Maybe a seagull or some flying fish ;)?
Would love to see the .dat file on that flight if it could ever be retrieved. SD cards are pretty robust but seawater will eventually get them (ask me how I know this).

I everybody,

This week end I've crashed / sink my drone into a lake because:
- Since we where moving, I've lost orientation while flying and had forgot to designate a watcher so nobody warned me that I was flying directly toward water and heard a "sploush" ... **** ! I've lost of the bird.

What's hurting me the most is the lost of the memory card that was containing all the recorings of that particular day; a nice sailing rendez-vous featuring around 15 sailboats at the same time, same place. There were nice shots but the only thing that remains from that day are the Low Resolution and compressed DjiGo Cache Files...

The leasons I've learned that day:

1) Using DJI GO and beeing moving operator involves a different approach about "home point" ... I've learned that after not managing it and at some point lost connection and the bird initiate a return to the home point ... 1.5 miles beind the boat that I've been able to cancel and retake control but freaky .. so be aware if you are moving operator

2) Flying while looking to the screen of a iPad Mini, without sunshade, on a fast moving boat that is doing maneuvers is "not" a good way to keep control and that "will" lead to disaster ... I'll never do that again... I will stay in a "steady" state while operating, I swear.

3) Flying over water is probably the safest place to fly because the signal is good and there is usualy not much peoples around but it's really risky about the fact that if it fails into water, the drone is probably good for trash except if you are really quick and lucky.

Luckily, I've bouth 2 of them so I have one left so let's hope I don't loose that one too ;)

Get a kids pool noodle, cut two lengths for the landing gear and tie wrap to gear. Will keep it afloat until retrevial.

Sorry. This continually comes up here. Flying without really having experience flying. I strongly suggest that folks learn to fly figure eights and remember that when you get confused (we all do) take your hands off the sticks. Settle down, and then add left stick to get the bird higher.

Sorry. This continually comes up here. Flying without really having experience flying. I strongly suggest that folks learn to fly figure eights and remember that when you get confused (we all do) take your hands off the sticks. Settle down, and then add left stick to get the bird higher.
Up is good.

When in trouble, or in doubt.
Run in circles, scream and shout.

(Or just center the sticks and then pull UP on the left stick for a bit)

I have some little Flytron strobes attached to the back legs. While not as bright as I had hope at distance, they do help me orient the craft much better than the weak assed LEDs on the arms. Faster than trying to focus on the tiny little arrow at least relatively close up **

But again, if you get confused, just stop and take advantage of the Phantoms hovering ability.

** Note to GO app team - how about a bigger arrow option for those of us older than 25 who have trouble seeing tiny little red things on small screens.

Reactions: MartyPilot
Ya, I'm guessing it wasn't tightened down properly and came loose that caused the ditch. If the prop was on tightly and sheared off from hitting the water, you'd think the hub would still be attached? The remaining three props all look intact.

It looks to me that there is plastic on the threaded motor shaft. This would indicate the prop was over-tightened and stripped.

It looks to me that there is plastic on the threaded motor shaft. This would indicate the prop was over-tightened and stripped.
Or just failed after hitting an obstruction. A spinning prop hitting water might have created enough stress to strip everything. Be hard to tell.

Or just failed after hitting an obstruction. A spinning prop hitting water might have created enough stress to strip everything. Be hard to tell.

Perhaps, but every prop that has encountered an obstruction has broken the blades, I have never seen the threads/hub fail like that.

When I was rocking the P3 I was always super careful to just snug up the props, not crank them tight.

Yeah, I've used another app while the accident occur that is Autopilot that has a "Moving operator" mode that allow that .... but you must continue to fly the bird anyway ... just forgot that part LOL

Nice video work on YouTube. Great job!

I everybody,

This week end I've crashed / sink my drone into a lake because:
- Since we where moving, I've lost orientation while flying and had forgot to designate a watcher so nobody warned me that I was flying directly toward water and heard a "sploush" ... **** ! I've lost of the bird.

What's hurting me the most is the lost of the memory card that was containing all the recorings of that particular day; a nice sailing rendez-vous featuring around 15 sailboats at the same time, same place. There were nice shots but the only thing that remains from that day are the Low Resolution and compressed DjiGo Cache Files...

The leasons I've learned that day:

1) Using DJI GO and beeing moving operator involves a different approach about "home point" ... I've learned that after not managing it and at some point lost connection and the bird initiate a return to the home point ... 1.5 miles beind the boat that I've been able to cancel and retake control but freaky .. so be aware if you are moving operator

2) Flying while looking to the screen of a iPad Mini, without sunshade, on a fast moving boat that is doing maneuvers is "not" a good way to keep control and that "will" lead to disaster ... I'll never do that again... I will stay in a "steady" state while operating, I swear.

3) Flying over water is probably the safest place to fly because the signal is good and there is usualy not much peoples around but it's really risky about the fact that if it fails into water, the drone is probably good for trash except if you are really quick and lucky.

Luckily, I've bouth 2 of them so I have one left so let's hope I don't loose that one too ;)

Videos are saved in the Dji Go app

Always learning cool new things on this awesome forum!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your bird @martypliot but thanks for sharing the learnings.

Thanks for the tip on a GetterBack @dirtybi

Always learning awesome new things in this forum!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your bird @MartyPilot but thanks for sharing your learnings.

Cheers for the tip about the GetterBack @Dirty Bird I am so getting one of those!

About 6 weeks ago I lost my P3P in the lake just before dark. I marked the position from the flight tracker with a buoy. Next day went out with boat and snorkeled. Found it within 10 ft of my marker, without battery. Dove some more and found battery about 10 ft further. Got it home shook all the water out and left in the sun until nighttime. The next day I put new battery in, not expecting much. To my surprise everything worked. Still flying today. Only had bad battery. My P3P was in the water for 16 hrs. So if you have any chance of recovery, get it and dry it out, it might just fly.

Reactions: Neon Euc
That picture is interesting. No prop....

Likely not going to get much out of a ditching like that although you might be able to get the video off the card so long as it has not been submerged long enough to let electrolysis mess it up. I wash my SD cards all of the time. No problemo!
lol, what do u mean u wash them all the time?

SD cards are some of the most robust memory storage devices available and not generally effected by non corrosive fluids. Life span of an SD card left to the elements can be extremely long before data becomes corrupted.

I've never felt any need to wash mine, but have found them in the dryer a time or two after leaving them in a pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry about the loss! I've lost one in a river before. Luckily it wasn't too deep and was recoverable. The memory card was just fine after being thoroughly dried off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20