ITELITE Antenna Owners Thread: 4 MILES WITH P3P (page 31)

DBS

Reaction score
Just received a stack of antennas from the good folks at itelite... They are asking me to test different polarity setups to see which arrangement gives the best overall range...

ZCj9XTb.jpg

So I got out and did some long runs this morning with the three samples they sent...
All tests this morning were done with stock DJI transmitter and WiFi power... No hardware boosters... No booster apps running.

Here's some pics of my setup before going out to fly

SLV9oJv.jpg

RXC3ODX.jpg

wGQCvHg.jpg

gpztCw0.jpg

And here's the rundown of how things went out there this morning....

So I ended up with these three panels to test... Each panel has all three antennas we need to satisfy the Vision/Vision Plus setup... One 5.8gHz 14dBi patch in vertical polarity to match the dipoles in the Phantom landing gear... And two 2.4gHz 9dBi patches to communicate with the onboard WiFi patches... These two WiFi antennas are the ones we suspected would benefit from 45 degree diagonal polarity... and the results show that theory was correct.

First test this morning... panel used was the V-Pol... all antennas polarized vertical... results were pretty impressive ... 1.5miles with no boosters or booster apps running... results shown here on Flytrex... http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-dbs-vision-bigchuck-rossetti-Jkh4DWIv/

Next test was the V&H-Pol ... control antenna vertical ... WiFi antennas Horizontal ... not as impressive ... ended up about a thousand feet less ... didn't upload.

Final test this morning was the V&X-Pol ... control antenna vertical ... WiFi antennas 45 degree offset diagonal... THIS was the winner... 1.7miles ... over 9000ft range with no boosters and no booster apps running... results shown here on Flytrex... http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-dbs-vision-bigchuck-rossetti-Lipg9JBC/

So i guess that sums up the testing part of this whole deal...
I will turn in my results tomorrow via email to the itelite guys... and see about what kind of time frame they are thinking about for releasing these things and so on.

Which brings me to some questions they have been asking me...

I figure , since they will be making antennas for us range junkies on the forums , why not get some input instead of me trying to answer questions myself right?

Take a good look at the photos above... the size of the panel... roughly 9 x 9 inch ... that panel size is something they already produce and makes it easy for them to run the antennas right away and keep the cost down for us... but it is possible to be made smaller... (exact dimensions to be determined but roughly an inch narrower and half the height... or 6 x 6 square) ... but this will take a bit more time and drive the cost up a bit for retooling a new panel size and cover configuration... what you guys think?

Mounting solutions... something they also want to narrow down to a simple, thumbscrew clamp style rig that will clamp to the chrome bar next to the range extender with a simple twist of a nut... no tools involved ... no messy, half baked, velcro, sticky gunk crap that just makes things difficult and unprofessional looking... any ideas on that one guys? any stuff you've seen out there that fits the bill?

Keep it white with the cover as above? Or naked with the antennas showing as you've seen in some of my other stuff?

example

20140919_160653_zpsa8f6hawl.jpg

silly question... you wamme to test this sucker with a WiFi booster app running and some amps on it? (what the hell... i'm probly gonna do that anyway sooner or later)

So to wrap things up here...

Just some other points that they have let me know about regarding these antennas...
They are not trying to make any world record setting monsters... Those things come out huge and they are already available anyway...
The idea here is to offer some really solid range and signal quality in a package solution for under a hundred bucks with two different models in mind... The one i tested today will be the shorter range/cheaper model with the smallest profile if they go ahead and retool for a smaller panel/case size... and there will be another , larger model with better patches that should reach out to three miles or so with no problems if you don't mind using a WiFi booster app (still under a hundred bucks)

Well there it is ... as much as i know so far i guess... i'll try to keep updated here as i learn anything new or different... i don't fly as much anymore or communicate with itelite as much anymore but i thought this was a real cool idea for some solid range for a killer price if they come through the way they have been talking.

Lemme know what you guys think and i'll pass on any general ideas or requests to try and make this a community approved build that satisfies some of the points made here on the forum over the past months. (I'll try anyway... i dunno if they really listen to me anyway) ;)

Merry Christmas Guys!! Here's to Fun Flights and Sleepless Nights , Modding into the New Year!!!

Admin:
"Note: This thread was started by "DBS" who is the vendor of this product."

Reactions: Fool 4 Flying
Re: Looks like ITELITE will start making antennas for us soo

#2 Mounting Solution: Yes.. need a way to clamp directly to the transmitters chrome bar; reduce the amount of modifications.

#1 Antenna: Go with the 9" square size for now and then later consider tooling up for the 6" square.

Reactions: Mark The Droner

9" with white cover is perfect for me,,,personally I'd just rivet a 2" aluminum strap _-----_ to the back and use the phone holder...now boost away brutha!!!!

Buy her a Mood Ring for Christmas:

• Good Mood: Green
    Bad Mood: the ring puts a big Red Mark on your forehead.

Yeah I think I would be good with that 9" with the white cover especially for under a hundred bucks. A smaller one would be good too but it's always a matter of the mighty dollar. If they can figure out a way to attach it to the little bar that would be cool, but I'm good with my own configuration. And oh yeah I want to see the boosted results. Lol

Thats cool.

Are you getting FPV over that distance ?

I think I want one.

robinb said:
Thats cool.

Are you getting FPV over that distance ?

I think I want one.

DBS had full visual until reaching those distances...and better still, that antenna will fit in my case easily.....

Unfortunately Chuck suffered what appears to be a catastrophic motor failure during testing this morning, and the bird fell straight down into a lake.... :cry:

So I have just read.

Oh dear, looks like a v3 problem from the reading on multiple forums with the esc to motor wire ??????

Yep...I think DJI rushed this stuff to market without proper testing....

After much waiting I heard back from itelite and they are ready with the go ahead on Phantom vision series "all in one" antenna panels...

They sent me a couple for testing and I must say I was a bit skeptical when I first saw them (they're so tiny) ...
f3oxRix.jpg

I didn't think they would get much more range than the stock controller setup.

My stock controller was averaging around 2200ft range before total loss of video...

These little antenna panels do WAY better than that...

Euk4PcX.png

Man oh man I had fun yesterday morning trying these things out... Real good range for something this size...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also made a little tutorial on how to mod your transmitter and range extender for adding long range antennas...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last word I heard is that these antennas will be ready for sale "in a few weeks" or so... But I have limited contact with the main guys (in Poland) so I'll post more when I have more information.

Last edited:
Re: itelite making antennas for us soon - update page 2 - te

This is the first antenna mod on the market that I can actually see myself doing. Thanks for the updates.

BioTeq said:
This is the first antenna mod on the market that I can actually see myself doing. Thanks for the updates.

Looks great keep us updated.

Cannot wait! Take my money already ItElite!!! Haha

UPDATE !!

itelite gave me the scoop on pricing just minutes ago...

$89.99 USD
Package includes:
~6.5inch x 3.5inch "all in one" flat panel antenna with white housing/3D Phantom silhouette ...
~Quick mount bracket for slip on attachment to Range extender...
~All pigtail cables (3) needed to plug into your transmitter and range extender.

First production run is running and expected to hit U.S. soil on or before March 31st 2015...

Itelite is sending 2 antennas to be given away on PhantomPilots.com Forum... Still trying to figure out what type of contest or drawing to do to be fair about this and to get it where everyone sees it... I know there's a contests and giveaways section here but who actually looks there?... I don't...

Any ideas?

Re: itelite making antennas update page 2... price and relea

hello again, and thank you for this thread. I need your help and experience..

I had my first flyaway this weekend while shooting footage at about 100m high and 168 meters out at a racetrack that has a cell phone 3g tower dead center of track...

I recovered using RTH and all was well and i continued on with my day.

my thoughts are Id like to increase signal strength to my craft...

does itelite offer anything for us non vision users to enhance oem controller, or is this something i will have to purchase an aftermarket receiver and controller.

i appreciate your input.. thank you! :geek:

just watched your youtube video , does itelite sell just the transmitter antenna upgrade for non vision ?

Will we be able to buy directly from ItElite on their website? If not, did they say where we'd be able to purchase from?

Re: itelite making antennas update page 2... price and relea

capodrone81 said:
hello again, and thank you for this thread. I need your help and experience..

I had my first flyaway this weekend while shooting footage at about 100m high and 168 meters out at a racetrack that has a cell phone 3g tower dead center of track...

When you say "flyaway" ... Just to be clear , don't you mean "signal loss" ... In other words... You lost transmitter contact with your Phantom and couldn't control... Flyaway usually means it flew in its own direction and you had to go find it.

I recovered using RTH and all was well and i continued on with my day.
did you flip the S1 switch or turn off the transmitter to initiate RTH ? or did the bird go into RTH on it's own due to loss of signal?

my thoughts are Id like to increase signal strength to my craft...
I asked the above questions to determine if that is going to help you... If your bird went into RTH on it's own due to loss of signal ... Then you are right ... Stronger signal might be the right answer.

If you initiated RTH by S1 switch or turning off transmitter... You have another problem going on there that should be figured out before moving on.

does i lite offer anything for us non vision users to enhance oem controller, or is this something i will have to purchase an aftermarket receiver and controller.

itelite has some really solid antennas for 2.4gHz tx but let's make sure you actually need one

i appreciate your input.. thank you! :geek:

Please try and post a picture of your antenna setup on your landing gear area you spoke of in the other thread and we'll move on from there

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic