Is't really this that bad?

Reaction score
Ok I'm getting scared away from horrible stories about DJI like DJI firmwares inconsistency, mechanical problems, no update no fly, yes update yes geo fencing, and tons of other problems bloating the internet and forums. I'm new to this drone thing but I've flown those starter Hubsan drones before. Really this bad??? Maybe I should just go back to my traditional photography profession.

Ok I'm getting scared away from horrible stories about DJI like DJI firmwares inconsistency, mechanical problems, no update no fly, yes update yes geo fencing, and tons of other problems bloating the internet and forums. I'm new to this drone thing but I've flown those starter Hubsan drones before. Really this bad??? Maybe I should just go back to my traditional photography profession.
Up to you if you want to update,,,your choice unless bricked,,then have to (pretty rear now),,updates and firmware has been good lately,,only on occasion firmware does have trouble loading ,,some do have trouble after updates and some don't,,it's a bit weird,I put it down to good device to do it with,some phones etc just don't cut it,,just my opinion,,,I done all my updates in past with OTG cable adapter cause no computer but never had problems,,,I only did firmware cause after ignore it for so long it locked my craft so had to do it,,some never update from new and have no problems,,it's not that bad,,that sounds funny coming from me ,I never update before this happen,so now I do,,a bit back the firmware was bit unstable but has come right over time,,,some say if it ok just leave it,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I stay updated on all I got with the firmwares and IOS updates and Go Apps .Have never today had any issues.
Some have a hard time . I think some will mix and match say have old fimware ,new app and phone not updated . I think IMO that causes alot of issues for some .
I think they all should be current or at least not be mixed if that makes sense .
I fly alot and maybe I have just been lucky but after the P2's I have not had any crashes...well with App or firmware. Trees I like :)
Don't fly my remaining Phantoms that much but do the Mavics but do keep them at ready.Might hit another tree :oops:
I fly mostly over water now as I have about covered all the ground I have here .
You have to remember you are reading in a forum where most come to post about issues .
Not how good theirs are flying and how much fun it is.
Just my view from being here and doing what I do.

I stay updated on all I got with the firmwares and IOS updates and Go Apps .Have never today had any issues.
Some have a hard time . I think some will mix and match say have old fimware ,new app and phone not updated . I think IMO that causes alot of issues for some .
I think they all should be current or at least not be mixed if that makes sense .
I fly alot and maybe I have just been lucky but after the P2's I have not had any crashes...well with App or firmware. Trees I like :)
Don't fly my remaining Phantoms that much but do the Mavics but do keep them at ready.Might hit another tree :oops:
I fly mostly over water now as I have about covered all the ground I have here .
You have to remember you are reading in a forum where most come to post about issues .
Not how good theirs are flying and how much fun it is.
Just my view from being here and doing what I do.
Good insight!

I fly my P3s with old firmware (1.7.90) with an old tablet (nexus 7 2013) a custom slim rom on the tablet based on android 7 and the latest Litchi.
All works well so I'm not going to do any updates.
I don't want to end up in the situation where I can no longer use my tablet cos it's too old for an update.
If it aint broke why fix it. :)

I fly my P3s with old firmware (1.7.90) with an old tablet (nexus 7 2013) a custom slim rom on the tablet based on android 7 and the latest Litchi.
All works well so I'm not going to do any updates.
I don't want to end up in the situation where I can no longer use my tablet cos it's too old for an update.
If it aint broke why fix it. :)
Hi I'm still not getting an answer on if I do not update will I able to take it to other countries and fly? I'm planning to go Australia and Thailand and maybe the neighboring countries as well while I'm Thailand. Thanks in advance. My main goal is to do mapping and measuring land boundaries

Some manufacturers will tell you if your drone is flying fine don't do any updates (let sleeping dogs lie). My preference is unless the update fixes a problem I'm having or adds an important feature I leave things alone.

As far as going to other countries, unless an update is specifically addressing a country specific issue why would you need to update?

Reactions: Housspin
if I do not update will I able to take it to other countries and fly?
I can't see any reason why you would need to update anything except maybe the Go app would want to update it's no-fly zones, but you can fly with the basic pre-installed ones anyway.
GPS might take a while to get new ephemeris data at the new site and you should definitely do a compass cal there too.

The forums are infamous for the horror stories. Few posts on "My drone flew great today." Many problems are operator error - seldom a true mechanical failure. For your second question, if your drone flies properly right now at your location, it will fly properly elsewhere (except maybe a compass calibration needed). The drone doesn't know North American air from Australian air. As Bigbadbob says, moving a long distance does take longer for the GPS to achieve lock the first time to figure out where it's at. Normal. And, if it's flying properly, personally I wouldn't do an update until after you return from your foreign travels. Lastly, many update problems are caused by people using devices not fully compatible or recommended by DJI. Enjoy your travels and your drone.

PS - Made two flights yesterday with my old P3S. Both flights were great, good video, no complaints. Worked as advertised. (I also didn't fly around trees or over the ocean!)

Most of the stories that keep you awake at night are spread by confused or misinformed flyers.
If you know what you are doing, flying a Phantom is reliable, predictable and unexciting (in a good way).
I've made over 1000 flights without seeing any issues.
Hi I'm still not getting an answer on if I do not update will I able to take it to other countries and fly? I'm planning to go Australia and Thailand and maybe the neighboring countries as well while I'm Thailand.
Update/no update, it shouldn't matter.
If you turn off auto-updates, your drone that flew yesterday at location X should fly just the same tomorrow at location Z.

Thankyou so much. I flew a total of 3.5hours so far. very exciting. Last question for sure. Where to look for the serial on my display rather than the battery compartment?

Thankyou so much. I flew a total of 3.5hours so far. very exciting. Last question for sure. Where to look for the serial on my display rather than the battery compartment?
The serial number of your drone is on the aircraft (in the battery compartment, on a sticker on the outer box and is shown in the recorded flight data but you won't see it on your display.

Reactions: umanbean
I think there are 3 considerations you need to make before buying a drone for photography.

1. Are you technically savvy enough (and do you have the patience) to know how to keep the software updates for your drone, drone controller, drone software (e.g. DJI 4 Go), and the device the software runs on (e.g. iPhone, iPad) up-to-date and in sync.

2. Are you willing to maintain updated knowledge on the FAA rules/guidelines for safe flight.

3. Are you willing, when ever in doubt, to get permission from everyone (public authority or private owner) when you fly over or near their property.

If you can say yes to all three, go ahead. If not, keeping with your traditional photography is recommended.

I do both forms of photography (www.schundlerphoto.com) but I must admit, the issues above (especially item 3) take away some of the joy of aerial photography with drones.

Reactions: Housspin
Up to you if you want to update,,,your choice unless bricked,,then have to (pretty rear now),,updates and firmware has been good lately,,only on occasion firmware does have trouble loading ,,some do have trouble after updates and some don't,,it's a bit weird,I put it down to good device to do it with,some phones etc just don't cut it,,just my opinion,,,I done all my updates in past with OTG cable adapter cause no computer but never had problems,,,I only did firmware cause after ignore it for so long it locked my craft so had to do it,,some never update from new and have no problems,,it's not that bad,,that sounds funny coming from me ,I never update before this happen,so now I do,,a bit back the firmware was bit unstable but has come right over time,,,some say if it ok just leave it,,,,

Is this really true? I mean locking the firmware by DJI after some time. I have P3A more than 4 years and P4P 2 years. I have never updated neither and they fly OK.

Is this really true? I mean locking the firmware by DJI after some time. I have P3A more than 4 years and P4P 2 years. I have never updated neither and they fly OK.
It is true here's my pic,,I worked around the locked craft part but got sic of doing it so had to bite the bullet but all went well,,,,this is the stupid thing though because it seems it randomly select who get locked,,or it would lock all uav for not updating,,,same as repairs or fixs,1 fix not for all phantoms which makes lots of problem solving or guessing,,,,nothing is across the board with dji some get hit and some don't,,,as again I never never used to update but now I just go with the flow,,,if no issues just carry on and enjoy,,,,,,yip me just had solid red lights because of not updating and I had just driven somewhere just to be locked on arrival when started it all up
Screenshot_20190205-101335.jpg

I have the same software/firmware on my P3S when it arrived from DJI years ago. Never did an update and have never seen any limitation in its use. I'll consider an update when DJI provides the details of the changes, rather than blind updates, and if any changes improve the functionality of the drone or just clutter up my Phantom with constantly expanding NFZs. I mostly fly in remote desert or mountain areas, so NFZs aren't really a concern anyway. Each to their own, but my impression are updates have little to do with the functionality. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi I'm still not getting an answer on if I do not update will I able to take it to other countries and fly? I'm planning to go Australia and Thailand and maybe the neighboring countries as well while I'm Thailand. Thanks in advance. My main goal is to do mapping and measuring land boundaries
You would need to recalibrate the compass!

Your concern has been answered 2-3 times. The Phantom doesn't care where on planet Earth it is flying provided you have GPS satellites. If it flies well at your house with whatever firmware version you have, it will fly well in Australia or elsewhere. The only concerns as other have stated is after a long travel, you will likely have to do a compass calibration (no big deal) and it may take longer than usual for it to achieve GPS lock. Other than that, you're good to go. Good luck, good flying, and get some good photos to show us.

having looked at the relese notes for my p3s here- http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_standard/20170623/Phantom_3_Standard_Release_Notes_EN.pdf
The newer updates after my 1.7.90 firmware were to do with flight restrictions so I see no reason to update. I fly with Litchi anyway so I don't get locked out of my aircraft by DJI.
You can find relaese notes for your particular aircraft in the downloads section on the DJI site and make your own judgement as to whether you want the update or not.

There are only two types of drones; those that haven't crashed and those that will (thus the rules). Once you accept that fact you'll be a happier pilot.;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic