Is this auto takeoff and landing abrupt and unstable?

Going to call you out on this. Can you please explain why has its hard on the Gimble? Or it this all just speculation you read somewhere else on the Internet?

When landing in tall grass the legs can do do sink in and grass can press up against the gimbal making the motors possibly overload to fight against it. I always throw down a piece of cardboard to take off on when there in nothing but tall grass in the area.

And, if you try to power up sitting on tall grass the grass can bind and interfere with the gimbal powerup process (you know how it tests the limits and motion during power up).

Wouldn't a glass table top be not recommended for VPS?

At any rate, when I first got my P3P, I used the auto take off and land, but it didn't take long for me to stop. The auto take off was just not necessary, but mostly the auto landings were just not very smooth. And yes BVC, my thoughts are on the gimbal when I see my craft take a hard landing.

Chris

When landing in tall grass the legs can do do sink in and grass can press up against the gimbal making the motors possibly overload to fight against it. I always throw down a piece of cardboard to take off on when there in nothing but tall grass in the area.

And, if you try to power up sitting on tall grass the grass can bind and interfere with the gimbal powerup process (you know how it tests the limits and motion during power up).

Exactly!
Careful with the cardboard though. My one and only accident with my P3 was taking off from the foam insert of my case in long grass. The wind and downwash flipped her upside down. Luckily no damage. Now I use a heavier piece of wood. Always hand catch on landing.

I find it's still a little bouncy landing compared to a standard even when landing manually. But having vps on makes for a more stable flight when flying and hovering around 15ft in my experience so the trade off is worth it...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is this normal?

I know there is a lot of debate how good or lame auto takeoff and landing are. I have had two standards and the auto take offs and landings were very, very stable. So today, I get this pro and it acts like this (I'm more bothered by how fast and rough the auto landing is.) Is this within the range of normality? If so, then I'll stick with manual take offs and landings.

Q
My p3s does the same I really don't trust the auto landing at all, too violent i think. I allways manual land mine.

Is it possible that his gimbal/camera guard is affecting the VPS?
Just a thought

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

HAND CATCH always especially on grass. Much kinder to your gimbal.
I have never used auto takeoff or landing and have no need to. The only time I would use auto land is if the battery was about to die and I hadn't reached home!
Why does every update seem to break something? That's why I have never updated mine.
I saw a YouTube video a couple months back of a guy who was doing a hand catch, he had carbon fiber props, a gust of wind came and he misjudged and **** near cut off his hand. Had a very deep gash and blood everywhere. So be carefull on the hand catch.

I saw a YouTube video a couple months back of a guy who was doing a hand catch, he had carbon fiber props, a gust of wind came and he misjudged and **** near cut off his hand. Had a very deep gash and blood everywhere. So be carefull on the hand catch.

Link please I have yet to see one! No doubt it could happen if you aren't paying attention.
Carbon fibre props are a waste of time. You want something that will break easily BEFORE the Phantom does.

Reactions: deltamike
Is this normal?

I know there is a lot of debate how good or lame auto takeoff and landing are. I have had two standards and the auto take offs and landings were very, very stable. So today, I get this pro and it acts like this (I'm more bothered by how fast and rough the auto landing is.) Is this within the range of normality? If so, then I'll stick with manual take offs and landings.

Q
No high pitched 'whistle'...It's a keeper! And just manually take off and land. More fun that way anyway. ;)

I also need to see a video that shows both the bird and the remote at the same time and you just pressing the button. Then we can say if it is you or a defective part.FW. But without seeing both at the same time, one can only conclude you are the one landing it so hard.

But I agree. That is way too hard compared to the P3S which is wonderfully fluid and slow.

Is it possible that his gimbal/camera guard is affecting the VPS?
Just a thought

Having read up on this some more, I think that is the case. Going to test as soon as I can fly again.

The video was taken when I was just trying to figure out what was going on. Just taking off a few feet and then landing a few times. I'm pleased to report -- DUH!!!! -- it was the gimble protector. Since I had a standard prior to this I was not used to the VPS at all. I know a lot of people fly sans VPS but it was on by default. And the gimble protector totally messes up the auto takeoff and landing. Took off the gimbal protector and did the auto take off and it hovered perfectly as described in the manual, etc. This is one of those forest for the trees type of things.

Anyway, that's the report on that. The good news is I agree with everyone that auto take offs and especially landings are kind of lame. So I read up, etc. and did my first hand-catch tonight. Really easy.

Thanks for all the tips.

Reactions: m0j0 and Squirrel!
Do I get a cookie :)
All kidding aside, I am glad you have her figured out. Believe me, I know how these things can keep you up at night.
Fly Safe

It's because of the smooth, shiny even colored glass table top. The visual optical sensor do not function properly on these surfaces, the same as on very calm water.

Reactions: Squirrel!
The only thing I can add to this is that when I use auto takeoff on my P3P, it never goes higher than about 12 inches from the ground. Thought it was supposed to be 3 or 4 feet but mine is consistent: somewhere between 9 and 12 inches. That is, barely off the ground.

Mike

It's because of the smooth, shiny even colored glass table top. The visual optical sensor do not function properly on these surfaces, the same as on very calm water.
He had said he was having the same issue in other locations without the glass table. If you look at the video closely you can see he has a gimbal guard on. The guard he has was actually partially under his VPS.
This was causing the drone to get inaccurate data from the VPS, with or without the table.
I had the same issue when I put my guard on backwards which placed it partially under the VPS.
Took me awhile to figure that out as it was before I found this board :)

The only thing I can add to this is that when I use auto takeoff on my P3P, it never goes higher than about 12 inches from the ground. Thought it was supposed to be 3 or 4 feet but mine is consistent: somewhere between 9 and 12 inches. That is, barely off the ground.

Mike
Mike do you have a gimbal guard on?
The one thing I like about the VPS, other than more stable landings, is that when I fly below say 8 -10 feet, and I go down my driveway which is on a hill, the bird will maintain its height. Meaning, if I am at 3 feet at the top of my driveway and I fly down it, the drone descends to keep it at 3 feet. Likewise, coming up the driveway it climbs to maintain the same height above ground. If I turn VPS off it just does a straight line across until it's "over" the bottom of my driveway. If I did the same at 3 feet but started at the bottom heading up, without VPS it would crash into the ground before it got to the top.

Last edited:
Reactions: qrandle

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj