Is there really a reason to buy a Mavic Mini??

It is not the Mini, it is all on the pilot who decide to fly or not. You can loose every drone if you neglect the wind conditions.
If you live in a windy territory you simply won't buy a Mini.
But on the other side the Mini will probably survive the fall on the grass or sand what I can't say for the Phantom.
So if you notice that it can't beat the wind simply put it down if no other way then even with shutting down the motors.

It’s an excellent drone for the beginner or advanced pilot.
Agree that it is a good choice for the beginner pilot. I'm not sure about the advanced pilot but that is my opinion of course.

Not everyone has unlimited resources to get into the drone hobby
I don't think any of us have an unlimited budget and I certainly don't. I was just answering the question in regards to the OP's post regarding purchasing one of he already has other (more capable) drones.

The Mini’s size, weight and portability dictate its use case.

I’m a volunteer with an active Scout troop. The mini is perfect for our outdoor activities. For a couple of years I took my P3S on camps and hikes, but it needed a whole separate backpack and was often just too much. I need other stuff too. On the other hand the Mini, controller and two spare batteries fit in an outside pocket of my main pack, at the ready.

It’s been an interesting read with disparate views and I can understand the differing viewpoints. Yes, there are new comers to the hobby or those with a limited budget that the mini may well be highly suited to but to answer the original question as posed towards the “seasoned pilot”; if we are to assume that a “seasoned’ pilot will already have some drones and plenty of experience then the answer is probably “no, there is no great justification”.

I’m an RePL here in Australia with a small company and a ReOC, basically a Part 107 or Pfco with a licence to give myself exemptions to the rules under certain circumstances so I flatter myself I’m as seasoned as most. I have Inspire, a couple of P4P v2.0, both Mavic 2 models and a couple of Sparks as ‘ensign expendables” for close up tower and antenna surveys. I can’t even really justify a Mavic Air 2 if I am being honest with myself (as much as I’d like one).

The mini is too fragile with the issue of bent arms and prop strike on the body, too wind effected (I’ve flown in 40+ mph when I have had to and was paid well enough) and the uncommanded descent issue quite frankly scares hell out of me as I do perhaps 60% of my flight over the ocean. The fly app is another issue which really needs no explanation. I can justify the Spark where as I can’t the mini on it’s sheer robustness alone when doing close inspections which the mini lacks and it it does “step on that rock” I can replace it for half the price of a mini.

Just my $Au 0.02 worth fwiw

Regards

Ari

We bought the Mavic Mini for two reasons: 1) it works very well indoors because it has only downward sensors. The cage keeps it from getting damaged. 2) We are primarily a video production company and the down draft and noise from the mini is minimal, making it an adequate replacement for camera jib, which eliminates me paying for an extra production assistant to move the camera jib/tripod around. As for flying it in wind with the cage, mighty risky. However, I have a Matrice 210 RTK, P4 and Mavic 2 Zoom for real drone work.

Does any seasoned pilot own a Mavic Mini and can you tell me how you justified buying one? I'm trying to see considering the specs (though very impressive) why buy such an entry-level drone. Other than just wanting one(as I do lol) why I'd enjoy it more than the other Mavic series or my P4P. Again, I want one...but part of me thinks geez that's $400 plus I could've just put towards a MA2 ya know.. lol.

Thanks all!
The Main reason for me is the under 250 gram weight... No Resrictions.

Jerry

The Main reason for me is the under 250 gram weight... No Resrictions.

Jerry
Sorry but that is not at all true. ALL of the same restrictions still apply.

The OP is in the USA. The only thing that is different due to the weight is that it does not need to be registered. ALL other regulations and laws apply equally to the MM as any other drone.

Reactions: dronesky
I have a Phantom 4 and a Mini. Love the quick setup times, small size, and the low noise of the Mini.

I'd recommend getting one (P4P owner her first). The phantom is great for reliable, steady professional shots....but to have a high-end of the "entry level" drone you can fit in your pocket and fly without restrictions (in most places*) is rather enviable. Think about the times you go on day trips, weekends away, interstate or even overseas...having this with you, as opposed to lugging around a backpack for the day can make the difference.

I say this after turning down interest in Mavic, Mavic Air, Mavic 2 (etc). Either none were as good as the Phantom 4 Pro, or none featured in the low-end of the weight and size of the mini....and its great from the handful of times I've had a chance to fly it. in Australia and in my state we've been under state of emergency lockdown procedures, so
we can just go outside and fly a drone...

I just turned my mini into obsidian black, which I'll post on the Mavic Mini board shortly, if you want to check out ;)

RoOSTA

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub