Want another drone... Phantom 3 Pro or Mavic Mini? Decisions, decisions...

Reaction score
Ok, about 2 years ago I bought a Phantom 3 Pro used for £500. I enjoyed flying it and liked that it was a higher spec model but much cheaper than the then new P4 or Mavics. My computer struggles to process 4k video, so 2.7k was fine, but I liked the extra range of Lightbridge over the P3 Standard.

I sold my last P3 Pro to help pay towards a motorbike but 2 years on, I really miss making aerial videos and I'm yearning to fly again. I'm looking to spend in the region of £300-400 and I don't mind buying used again. My lower budget seems to still get me the (now older) P3 Pro and there doesn't seem to be much difference in price between the Pro and Advanced models on the used market.

But now I've seem that the Mavic Mini is due for release, it's thrown a spanner in the works. I cannot escape the appeal of something brand new and shiney, with a warranty. I'd probably stretch to the Fly More Combo for the extra batteries and DJI Care Refresh.

There's currently a 3 year old Phantom 3 Pro for sale near me with 5 official batteries and accessories including FVPLR (whatever that is LOL) for £400 but he's open to offers (maybe £350?!). OR, I could spend a little more (£469) and have a brand new Mavic Mini Fly More Combo with 3 batteries. I'm just worried I'd miss the range and performance I had with my old P3 Pro.

I can't decide, so can you decide for me? Cheers

used Mavic Pro , or used P4 , I went from P3S to a used Mavic Pro , since you had the P3 Pro ----- better range with Mavic Pro , haven't flown my P3S since .

Thanks for the recommendation. That's another spanner in the works! Too much choice.

Mavic Pro's seem to be selling for £500+, which is stretching my budget a little for what is, essentially, going to be a toy. That said, I'm now looking a Mavic Pros.

Reactions: David_Cambridge
Depends where you fly the mini. In the EU you only get 500 meter range.
I would try for a mavic too.

I fly, buy, and sell Phantoms because I like their stability and weight carrying capability. Just ordered a MM for fun, cost, and portability. The reviews were very good. But, understandably. it has slowed sales of used P4 Phantoms. Similar but higher Cost. P3’s are still moving at lower cost, and P4P’s sell as well for the camera.

Sadly, If I was choosing now, just for fun and with suitable video, would have to go with the unproven, Mavic Mini. Warranty and crash resistance are hard to beat. Not too sure about wind, but open air distance should be 3+ miles. Parts and support for a while as well. Good luck ??

Sold three P3’s and a P4P+ in the last 2 weeks, but not 1 call on three P4’s at $650 to $750 (with wetsuit) perfect with 2 batts 2/2.5/4hrs flight time. That’s all because of the Mini. All good, Phantoms are like money in the bank. They just don’t make them like that anymore.

All depends on what you want to do and how you use the drone. For example today, it was -3C with a coating of light snow. I brought my Spark and P3S. Left the P3S in the truck and took the Spark on the trails because it was small and light to carry in my camera backpack, Did not have to spin on props, and could hand launch and land without worrying about having a landing pad.

Chris

Reactions: Capt KO
Depends where you fly the mini. In the EU you only get 500 meter range.
I would try for a mavic too.

I'm in the UK so that might be an issue. I do like to stretch the range when it's safe and legal to do so and took my old standard P3P over 2 miles on private land.

I've seen the following stats for the Mavic Mini

• Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference)
  • Model MR1SS5
    5.8 GHz: 4000 m (FCC); 2500 m (SRRC)
    Model MR1SD25
    2.4 GHz: 2000 m (MIC/CE)
    5.8 GHz: 500 m (CE)

What's MIC/CE?

MIC Japan, CE Europe

Apparently, in Europe they are only offering 5.8 GHz

i’ve sold a couple of phantoms that were immediately taken to Europe. I wonder if that’s the reason. Same regulations? Do they actually lock you out at 500m or is it up to the Pilot? If so that’s awful.

Last edited:
MIC Japan, CE Europe

Apparently, in Europe they are only offering 5.8 GHz...

I think that's just made my mind up for me. I could live with 2000m range but 500m is too limited. I know all about line of sight and the rules etc, but for the same reasons I wouldn't want my car limited to 70mph, I don't want my drone limited to just 500m.

Does that mean you could buy a mini in the US and ship it to Europe and it would fly 2000 m? Or is the air thicker over there?

Reactions: KachemakDiver
Thanks for the insight Capt KO. I do the same. Buy, fly, and sell P3P’s. Now it makes sense, since the announcement of the MM, the selling price of the Phantom’s have dropped enough to where I have put a hold on selling any more of my P3P’s.

Reactions: Capt KO
Thanks for the insight Capt KO. I do the same. Buy, fly, and sell P3P’s. Now it makes sense, since the announcement of the MM, the selling price of the Phantom’s have dropped enough to where I have put a hold on selling any more of my P3P’s.
Roger that. I’ve got time to wait for the frenzy to be over. I joined Mavic pilots because I ordered the mini, and it’s almost like crazy mode over there. Our forum is like slow motion in comparison. Take care up there my fishy friend ?
Capt

I think that's just made my mind up for me. I could live with 2000m range but 500m is too limited. I know all about line of sight and the rules etc, but for the same reasons I wouldn't want my car limited to 70mph, I don't want my drone limited to just 500m.
Glad you made a decision, to go with what you’re familiar with. And that set up for $350 you can hardly go wrong if you decide to resell. Take care have fun.

I moved from a P3P to a Mavic 2 Pro and am very happy.

I would not be with the Mini — not at all. I wouldn't mind having one as a secondary, but it would be like a bicycle to go with my car.

It's not cheap though, so if you're on a strict budget, you might look at P4P used.

Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.