Production of all P4P discontinued is there a P5 coming?

One word.

Ouch!

Yeah, it really highlights the different perspectives from hobbyist to commercial. Personally I'm in both areas but (sadly) doing less for fun as it becomes more serious on the commercial front.

Of course here on these forums we get people from both camps. I suspect a lot of times we forget that which is why we see such a difference of opinion. We forget that the hobbyist and even the low end commercial operator have very different needs.

I hope DJI keep it in mind because it's certainly within their ability to meet the needs of both camps.

Great discussion guys. I've enjoyed it.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia
Yeah, it really highlights the different perspectives from hobbyist to commercial. Personally I'm in both areas but (sadly) doing less for fun as it becomes more serious on the commercial front.

Of course here on these forums we get people from both camps. I suspect a lot of times we forget that which is why we see such a difference of opinion. We forget that the hobbyist and even the low end commercial operator have very different needs.

I hope DJI keep it in mind because it's certainly within their ability to meet the needs of both camps.

Great discussion guys. I've enjoyed it.

Regards
Ari
I do fly commercially. My fleet only consists of 3 drones. 2 phantoms and an Evo (in case the geofencing unlocking fails). I haven't spend half what you spend. Thank god, because business is slow right now. Drone business hasn't caught up in Puerto Rico. Thankfully, neither has the bad press.

Greetings

Just thought I'd bump this one with a little information I had in a face to face meeting yesterday with someone who would know. Don't ask me who because I can't tell you. I would call the information very credible .... unless they are trying to put up a smoke screen on me on purpose ... but I doubt it.

All versions of the P4 are done other than the RTK. Yes, the DJI store shows the P4P V2 as being "unavailable due to parts supply issues". The fact of it is that the particular part in question ( I was told what it is, I'm not going to specify but it makes perfect sense) is not available because DJI chose not to renew their licence with the manufacturer for that another year. There for there will be no more of that part arriving there for the P4 series is over. The RTK does not use that particular component hence it can continue in the limited numbers it is sold in. There is no expectation of a P4 Enterprise.

A P5 (to my surprise) is expected and in fact the first intended announcement date has already come and gone. Of course, the Mavic 2 series was delayed a couple of times as well so there's nothing new there.

Now I'm not going to make any "I know a guy who works for DJI and my information is 100% correct" claims. Even if I did know a guy who works for DJI if I said that then any chance of info in the future would disappear so I wouldn't say that would I? Also even if I did know a guy in DJI ... well, guy who work for DJI might be just as likely to spread a rumour as anyone else I suppose.

Anyway, that's what I was told. Put as much weight on it as you choose.

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Greetings

Just thought I'd bump this one with a little information I had in a face to face meeting yesterday with someone who would know. Don't ask me who because I can't tell you. I would call the information very credible .... unless they are trying to put up a smoke screen on me on purpose ... but I doubt it.

All versions of the P4 are done other than the RTK. Yes, the DJI store shows the P4P V2 as being "unavailable due to parts supply issues". The fact of it is that the particular part in question ( I was told what it is, I'm not going to specify but it makes perfect sense) is not available because DJI chose not to renew their licence with the manufacturer for that another year. There for there will be no more of that part arriving there for the P4 series is over. The RTK does not use that particular component hence it can continue in the limited numbers it is sold in. There is no expectation of a P4 Enterprise.

A P5 (to my surprise) is expected and in fact the first intended announcement date has already come and gone. Of course, the Mavic 2 series was delayed a couple of times as well so there's nothing new there.

Now I'm not going to make any "I know a guy who works for DJI and my information is 100% correct" claims. Even if I did know a guy who works for DJI if I said that then any chance of info in the future would disappear so I wouldn't say that would I? Also even if I did know a guy in DJI ... well, guy who work for DJI might be just as likely to spread a rumour as anyone else I suppose.

Anyway, that's what I was told. Put as much weight on it as you choose.

Regards
Ari
Very interesting... I'm sure all of us are trying to figure out what part the RTK doesn't have that the other models do. You'd think the RTK would have everything plus more.

Very interesting... I'm sure all of us are trying to figure out what part the RTK doesn't have that the other models do. You'd think the RTK would have everything plus more.
Different gps module?

Last edited:
Who cares what it is called? But it is coming, sooner rather than later. Why? Because there is a huge and growing commercial market. Professional users alone is massive but throw in enthusiasts with aspirations and it is just too juicy for DJI to turn down. So, the price is the starting point. I originally said about $6,000AU or so, because it is between an Inspire 2 and a combo P4P v2. So, what will you get for that? It has to have a zoom 4 or 6 optical, and it looks like most want an interchangeable. Fixed or otherwise I don't care. But if it is +4K it means you can get close with the 30-meter, people machine and 60m wildlife rules if you can crop it back to keep it at 4K. This also means you can render/code it at H.265 which gets converted at VP9 by YouTube. I reckon that's going to change soon also too improve quality, by YouTube that is.

It has to be more portable than the Phantom range yet faster, quieter and better battery. A lot to ask but the price is the determinator. I personally would love a good omni directional (towards the pilot) bright light also, but I will not get that. But if the undercarriage lifts on take-off and for portability, please leave me space to tape a lume cube to it.
After all that even selling my 2 drone combos I still won't be able to afford it. Anyone got a part time job? I'll even stack shelves at night. Or fly my P4 with an attached chicken over croc infested waters. Hope I've entertained.

Reactions: 3rdof5
I don't know anyone that is anywhere near DJI, and I'm clearly talking out of my a$$, but to me it makes sense. In order to sell the new Mavic 2 Pro at $1499 USD, they can't have the Phantom at the same price range. So business wise, I would remove the Phantom out of market to move my Mavic 2s. If the next Phantom does come out, it probably will be in a more expensive bracket than the P4Ps.
I was right in my assumption. BOOM!!! ?

I think the word "suggesting" is the most pertinent ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I give up. I'll just wait and see.

I think the word "suggesting" is the most pertinent ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I give up. I'll just wait and see.
The DJI director in the video said it plain and simple. The word suggestion was Sar104 covering his a... just in case.

The DJI director in the video said it plain and simple. The word suggestion was Sar104 covering his a... just in case

I hear you, it's just that I've sighted information from other DJI regional managers (and no I am not going to specify so feel free to dismiss me as a crank) that suggest differently. Who are you to listen to?

Attempting to predict DJI next move is like trying to guess what's in a woman's mind.

Compared to DJI women are easy.

As i said before, at this point I honestly am questioning the reliability of anything I have heard both on YouTube and from my own sources. I'm sure it was given to me with the best possible intention but without seeing "shooters on the grassy knoll" I am pretty sure DJI indulge in propagating some disinformation just to muddy the waters.

I'm just going to wait and see ... which is where we started out isn't it? *sigh*

Regards
Ari

I hear you, it's just that I've sighted information from other DJI regional managers (and no I am not going to specify so feel free to dismiss me as a crank) that suggest differently. Who are you to listen to?

Compared to DJI women are easy.

As i said before, at this point I honestly am questioning the reliability of anything I have heard both on YouTube and from my own sources. I'm sure it was given to me with the best possible intention but without seeing "shooters on the grassy knoll" I am pretty sure DJI indulge in propagating some disinformation just to muddy the waters.

I'm just going to wait and see ... which is where we started out isn't it? *sigh*

Regards
Ari
Well that is just dumb on DJI's part. Why cry wolf now, and then later expect people to trust them?

That tweet reply from DJI said, “part shortage” and “at this time” - combined with new software that supports the 4 series.

Frankly, as unlike as it may seem to us, the parts shortage story may actually be true. Doesn’t bode well for a P5 anytime soon but at least it means we may see some Pro 2’a back in stock eventually. If DJI were a public US company we’d have more answers but for now, it’s just us guessing.

Well that is just dumb on DJI's part. Why cry wolf now, and then later expect people to trust them

Honestly? I don't think DJI cares whether we trust them, they've more interested in covering their corporate tacks and would rather we be kept int he dark until the product drops ah la Apple and if it doesn't drop ... well they aren't the ones looking silly.

Regards
Ari

Frankly, as unlike as it may seem to us, the parts shortage story may actually be true.

It's true but it's not a parts shortage that has resulted from a lack of supply or a corporate falling out, it's the result of a corporate decision not to renew a contract for a specific part by DJI.

Doesn’t bode well for a P5 anytime soon

I don't think we'll see a P5 soon but I still believe that DJI are too smart not to see the niche for an aircraft with that imaging ability near to that price point in commercial situations. It's not going to sell in the numbers of the Mavic 2 line but enough will sell to make it worth while and I don't see DJI opening the door for a competitor to increase their market share by not addressing that market.

It's the camera that is the issue here not the airframe. It really doesn't matter what they attach it to be it a "Phantom like" airframe or another incarnation on the Mavic 2 series or something entirely different. That is just my opinion, no information received to that effect.

Yup, like you said Drestin, it's just us guessing at this point

Regards
Ari

It's true but it's not a parts shortage that has resulted from a lack of supply or a corporate falling out, it's the result of a corporate decision not to renew a contract for a specific part by DJI.

I don't think we'll see a P5 soon but I still believe that DJI are too smart not to see the niche for an aircraft with that imaging ability near to that price point in commercial situations. It's not going to sell in the numbers of the Mavic 2 line but enough will sell to make it worth while and I don't see DJI opening the door for a competitor to increase their market share by not addressing that market.

It's the camera that is the issue here not the airframe. It really doesn't matter what they attach it to be it a "Phantom like" airframe or another incarnation on the Mavic 2 series or something entirely different. That is just my opinion, no information received to that effect.

Yup, like you said Drestin, it's just us guessing at this point

Regards
Ari
DJI may no longer be interested in prosumer drones, allocating it's resources in other venues. They will keep the mavics and spark around for that market, but will focus where the big money is right now. If somewhere in the future market improves, they will look at the competition and release something slightly better just to crush it.

DJI may no longer be interested in prosumer drones, allocating it's resources in other venues. They will keep the mavics and spark around for that market, but will focus where the big money is right now.

Perhaps mate, The Spark production run ended in November however and they are just selling inventory now so there's a limit to how much they are going to make from that angle. Also the Inspire 2 is still selling although not as well as the Matrice series interestingly so they make more out of professional level R.P.A. than most people realise.

You are correct however that currently their "bread and butter" line is the Mavic 2 series. The Mavic Air has been a bit of a dissapointment sales wise serving just to kill any chance of a Spak 2 I think. I'm not sure it's totally correct that they always crush other companies after a release either although they have. They generally just keep the opposition from expanding too much by catering for every market point which and I can't see them releasing that stranglehold willingly.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: Ansia
Perhaps mate, The Spark production run ended in November however and they are just selling inventory now so there's a limit to how much they are going to make from that angle. Also the Inspire 2 is still selling although not as well as the Matrice series interestingly so they make more out of professional level R.P.A. than most people realise.

You are correct however that currently their "bread and butter" line is the Mavic 2 series. The Mavic Air has been a bit of a dissapointment sales wise serving just to kill any chance of a Spak 2 I think. I'm not sure it's totally correct that they always crush other companies after a release either although they have. They generally just keep the opposition from expanding too much by catering for every market point which and I can't see them releasing that stranglehold willingly.

Regards
Ari
The new Matrice is tempting, but the 210 (the one I would buy if I went there) is a bit out of reach at the moment. I'm waiting for DJI to release the Inspire 2 with ocusync to buy myself one of those.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31