Worthwhile to upgrade from Mavic?

To add to this discussion a little more: one of the most annoying differences between MP and Phantoms is the apparent difficulty to yaw softly and well controlled. I discovered today that the “Enable synchronized Pan Follow” enabled (default) was the culprit. It does not actually do what the description would suggest. When enabled, if you pan slowly the gimbal will move in that direction, but the AC does not UNTIL the gimbal pan range limit is reached, at which point the AC “jerks” the yaw movement to follow, but then the yaw movement is too much, so you start pulling back which again just moves the gimbal again until it’s limit is reached etc. So on the video it appears as that the yaw movement is on a rubber band that will swing back just a little when stopping the yaw movement. That is totally unacceptable behavior. Moreover if you fly FPV it feels like the bird is reluctant to react to you yaw/rudder control yet visually it seems to do the right thing.

I turned that feature off and now, I get to control the camera just as smooth as I can with the phantom. Very [emoji2]
Yes, this "Synchronized Pan Follow" is a wasted setting option in Go4 IMO. I had this same problem on my Phantom until I disabled it. What's really frustrating is in wind of 10 to 20mph, yawing for a consistent smooth pan of the camera can be difficult with Phantom. However it's interesting that with the Mavic I've never had that problem. My Mavic seems to pan more consistent and smooth at slow yaw speeds than my P4P for some reason. It could be the landing legs of the Phantom make this more difficult in wind, I'm not quite sure.

Has anyone else notice the same results when comparing P4P and Mavic yaw consistency, at slow yaw speeds?

I fly the Mavic more than the P4P. Never thought I would buy one. I set it on the dash when I go exploring. Easy to launch in a hurry, and batteries are a lot cheaper than the P4. You get the same, or more flight time. For me it is the easy of travel, but I love my P4P for every thing else. It is one tough drone. Having both is perfect for me.

I have a cabin on the Beluga River. Got it's name from the Beluga whales that go up it. That's what I want to make a video of. Lot of roads from oil/gas exploration. There are two glaciers near Anchorage you can drive to. Most are airplane only. Only one of the glacier are legal for drones. Most of the video I don't save.

I have a cabin on the Beluga River. Got it's name from the Beluga whales that go up it. That's what I want to make a video of.
I tried to get whale video for 2yrs, and finally this summer I found some, see below. Make sure to post your whale video when you get yours, it's a great target to capture.

I'd love to see some Glacier video sometime too. Alaska has incredible scenery. I wonder how the authorities think drones would hurt glaciers. That's pretty funny actually, as destructive as a glacier is, in the big picture. Are there too many people around the glaciers to fly safe?

State Park is where the one is at. No. Not many people on them, very hard to get to.

I am carry the Mavic in the DJI leather shoulder strap case. Well made, very compact and still able to carry all I need: Mavic, 3 batteries, remote, cables, SD cards filters and all. The total package is smaller AND lighter than my Canon DSLR case with an additional long lens. So, yes - there is no way I can complain about size or weight while hiking to some gorgeous spot. The P3P I have is in the DJI backpack case. Fits well, but it is pretty close to all I would carry which means I can't have a regular backpack with provisions and water with me at the same time. That is very restrictive to me.

When it comes to quality of video I am afraid there is little difference once either is properly post processed (requires high powered computer and software such as Resolve Studio Pro). I would agree if you take stills in RAW format you will extract a significant qualitative difference between the two. No argument there.
There is a big difference in video quality. I've owned these 3 and rate them as such... The Mavic video < P4P / I2 x4s < I2 x5s

There is a big difference in video quality. I've owned these 3 and rate them as such... The Mavic video < P4P / I2 x4s < I2 x5s
Agreed. I think my Mavic video has less quality than my P3P due to the optics. Although I believe the sensor is identical, the optics are not. My Mavic suffers from lots of sun flares and glares. I have to be very careful where the sun is, compared to P3P and P4. But dang, my P4P is even better with the 1" sensor, about the same quality as I2/X4. I'm always giddy over the video and photo quality I get form the P4P. It's a pretty incredible craft. I use my Mavic for backpacking and mountain biking, very light and convenient, hard to beat that ergonomics. What's amazing to me is the range of the Mavic, it's OcuSync is no slouch, and the battery duration is stellar also, given the size.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z