Is it worth taking my Drone to Las Vegas?

I had fun shooting in RRC as well as Calico Canyon just north of there.

Attachments

• Best one, added pano jpg w color boost 104b.jpg
    9.5 MB · Views: 342
Last edited:
VoF would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't. Death Valley would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't. Zion would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't. The Grand Canyon would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't. Hoover Dam would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't. Bryce would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't.

Stupid actions by pilots that don't give a **** may make everywhere illegal.

I actually understand and approve the prohibitions in many areas of the national and state parks but there's many places within these parks that have few if any people and would not pose a risk and I'd like to see a more nuanced set of rules but doubt we ever will. And, being the pessimist that I am you can count on some idiot doing something stupid and that tipping the balance away from access.

Brian

VoF would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't. Death Valley would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't. Zion would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't. The Grand Canyon would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't. Hoover Dam would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't. Bryce would be amazing if it were legal but it isn't.

Stupid actions by pilots that don't give a **** may make everywhere illegal.

I actually understand and approve the prohibitions in many areas of the national and state parks but there's many places within these parks that have few if any people and would not pose a risk and I'd like to see a more nuanced set of rules but doubt we ever will. And, being the pessimist that I am you can count on some idiot doing something stupid and that tipping the balance away from access.

Brian
This info is a bit late, but there's actually a place outside of Zion that allows you to launch and fly into Zion. It offers some pretty nice scenery, but it's about a 2.5 hour drive from Vegas.

upload_2017-9-22_14-20-13.png

upload_2017-9-22_14-19-9.png

upload_2017-9-22_14-22-27.png

Reactions: KevMo Photog
This info is a bit late, but there's actually a place outside of Zion that allows you to launch and fly into Zion. It offers some pretty nice scenery, but it's about a 2.5 hour drive from Vegas.
]

Actually, my favorite part of Zion is the east entrance area between the entrance and the long tunnel. It's not part of the main canyon area but I think the formations along Mt Carmel Highway (UT-9) are amazing.

Brian

Reactions: John Locke
I've not tried flying INTO a NP from outside it and wonder what the Go app does when you get to the boundary?

Brian
It did nothing at all this past May Brian. That was before this last update though. But I'm sure its just an advisory zone still.

So far, national parks are not in GEO restrictions, you are on your honor to follow the rules, which is the way it should be. It's perfectly OK to launch outside a NP and fly in.

Ah,OK, that makes sense. I did a flight at the Blythe Intaglios in California and when I flew towards the east most figures I got a warning about a airport within 5 miles in Nevada. I didn't try to go any further so I don't know for sure if it would have let me. The airport is a private strip that is pretty much unused anymore.

Brian

There are many amazing areas to fly that are not in a park or otherwise restricted around St George: Here is one (Yant Flat area):

Yes, there are a number of place in and around St George that I would like to visit and perhaps this fall will be my chance. One place I mentioned in a prior that I'd LOVE to do but is off limits is Valley of Fire outside Vegas -- the colors there are out of this world.

Brina

Hi guys,

Newbie here. Just going to LA, Zion and Death Valley tomorrow. I know all that is off limits, but any nice place I can fly thereabouts?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl