Maine

Reaction score
Good afternoon. I am planning a trip up and down the coast of Maine next month. I will be bringing my Mavic 2 Pro with me and hope to get some great shots. Was hoping someone who has done the same might have some good ideas on places to go or even stay away from.
Appreciate any good tips.

Mount Washington is a great place to visit; probably not a great place to consider flying. You should expect very high winds and probably flight restrictions.

I've only been to Maine once, and not with a drone. That being said, if you like flying tight quarters along a stream or other waterway, there are lots of lovely (but small) waterfalls, old water mills, and just wonderful scenic places along the way. Maine has LOTS of trees, so almost everything you want to see will be at risk of getting hung up or obscured by the trees. On the other hand, that drone can park in the open air just a few feet beyond the obstructions that keep you from getting a great photo. Not all scenes can be easily captured on foot, no matter how ambitious you are. Many folks go there in the autumn to see the maple forests "fall color", which is truly spectacular.

You ought to practice taking some photos now with different filters just to see what captures those orange & yellow hues best. Every sunset will be a good practice shot.

Then there are the coastal areas. Great scenic vistas, lots of wonderful New England charming structures to capture in their rugged settings. Light houses, buoys, old sailing vessels, modern fishing ships, just the small towns & their distinct architecture are very photogenic. Lots of waves crashing on shores, that kind of stuff.

When I went to Maine, we were restricted by the need to go too soon so as to return the kids to school, so we missed the spectacular color. The camping weather was wonderful. I found that most of the great scenery around the inland lakes was pretty much obscured by all the trees. If you weren't right on the shore or in an area that had been cleared by mankind, you really couldn't see too much. I think the drone at 300' would provide a fantastic improvement in your appreciation of the area and your trip.

Despite all the fantastic forests and what should have been great scenery, I often felt almost claustrophobic due to the density of the vegetation. Of course, every highway occasionally opens up with yet another spectacular vista as you crest the hill, and it quickly devolves into watching the forest go by.

Be sure to allow lots of time for stopping! Far more to see if you can just slow down and pick out the jewels. Race through like I did, and you just get glimpses of what you might be missing.

Last edited:
Mount Washington is a great place to visit; probably not a great place to consider flying. You should expect very high winds and probably flight restrictions.

I've only been to Maine once, and not with a drone. That being said, if you like flying tight quarters along a stream or other waterway, there are lots of lovely (but small) waterfalls, old water mills, and just wonderful scenic places along the way. Maine has LOTS of trees, so almost everything you want to see will be at risk of getting hung up or obscured by the trees. Many folks go there in the autumn to see the maple forests "fall color", which is truly spectacular.

You ought to practice some photos now with different filters just to see what captures those colors best. Every sunset will be a good practice shot.

Then there is the coastal areas. Great scenic vistas, lots of wonderful New England charming structures to capture in their rugged settings. Lots of waves crashing on shores, that kind of stuff.

When I went to Maine, we were restricted by the need to go too soon so as to return the kids to school, so we missed the spectacular color. The camping weather was wonderful. I found that most of the great scenery around the inland lakes was pretty much obscured by all the trees. If you weren't right on the shore or in an area that had been cleared by mankind, you really couldn't see too much. I think the drone at 300' would provide a fantastic improvement in your appreciation of the area and your trip.

Despite all the fantastic forests and what should have been great scenery, I often felt almost claustrophobic due to the density of the vegetation. Of course, every highway occasionally opens up with yet another spectacular vista as you crest the hill, and it quickly devolves into watching the forest go by.

Be sure to allow lots of time for stopping! Far more to see if you can just slow down and pick out the jewels. Race through like I did, and you just get glimpses of what you might be missing.
Thank you very much for the wonderful response. It makes me want to go there even more. I do appreciate it.

I'm thinking maybe this fall myself. Ditch the kids.

Even though they are still at home, they have jobs and lives of their own now.

:blush:
Frosty mornings outdoor with coffee brewed with my Solo camp stove. (easy & fast!)... Stir in some real maple syrup & perhaps some cream...
(I'm normally a black coffee guy)

Cook up some breakfast, and just watch the sun rise over the resplendent hills...

If I can't make it, you'll have to enjoy it for me. Be sure to post some pictures!

Reactions: Horsesrear
If you like, you can see some of my aerial work here in Maine (I live in coastal Maine) at my site. Visit the portfolio link:

Kestrel Solutions UAV

Reactions: Horsesrear

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dosserdd