is it legal for someone to have a drone jammer.

I have a guy that lives about 1/2 a mile away. There is a huge wetlands directly behind his house. It is a very fun place to fly and do range checks. He recently purchased and is using a drone jammer. I asked him why he is using it and he says he dosent want any spying on his ****. I respect his privacy but the jammer extends way beyond his property. I am worried that my drone would land in the middle of the wetlands. Funny thing is he just bought his son a mavic. He says he unplugs it when his son is using his drone. I think thats kind of messed up.
What's your opinion?

He's lying.

Thats almost exactly the way I think I'll go, Just found out he had the jammer this morning. I just don't like the random guy flies his drone over the wetlands and all of a sudden it drops. The Jammer extends easily 300' past his lot line. We will work it out. I got plenty of area to fly, it's just a real nice wide open area. I also don't want my friend to get in trouble.

I just don't like the random guy flies his drone over the wetlands and all of a sudden it drops.
Why would a jammer cause a drone to drop.
If he swamps the RC signal, your Phantom doesn't fall, it just sits there.
And if it sits for 3 seconds without signal, it comes home.

Have you thought about giving your jammer friend a demo flight.
You can let him see what the camera sees rather than what he imagines it sees.
A little bit of reality might go a long way to reducing his paranoia.

I only read online today that your drone would drop, and I agree that a phantom or drone like it with a rth feature would hopefully rth. Like I said I found out this morning that he had this jammer. i'm just trying to get others opinions on this matter. I have only had my phantom 4 for a few weeks. I had a p3advanced before this one.

Last edited:
I dont know, hes not the kind to lie. Ill find out in the next few days.

The only problem with a device like this is that in theory he would be disrupting his own, in house wireless networks as long as he was operating this device. If he's hard wired well then of course he wouldn't have much concern but I bet they have smartphones and such so therefor he can not run this device constantly. Now let's say that he has it outside with an omnidirectional antenna then we would have to wonder what is its effective range? I would think that your video link and control signal would just start to get weaker once you went into the antennas radiation pattern and then you could just back off or increase altitude. It would be interesting to test one of these devices and see how well it can work.

Not to mention is this device dual banded? If so I'd think it would be spendy, but if not Just switch to 5?

He is a friend, he lives 1/2 a mile away. In his mind he is not hampering me. He is also very wealthy so i wouldn't be suprised if he dropped major coin on the jammer. I need to find out whats going on.

He is a friend, he lives 1/2 a mile away. In his mind he is not hampering me. He is also very wealthy so i wouldn't be suprised if he dropped major coin on the jammer. I need to find out whats going on.
My response was mostly tongue in cheek, but yea a sit down is definitely in order. Or if you don't want to do that, do as suggested above and call the local FCC field office and make an anonymous complaint.

Thanks for the advice, but i would never call the fcc on him.

Doubt it would do much good. When you file a report you will get a form email back stating that they no longer investigate every complaint but that they appreciate your submission. I was told that they might watch for trends from many complaints but individual ones will go unnoticed it seems.

Ask him to go fly with you and then talk about it.

I don't believe it has anything to do with me. He lives in a beautiful subdivision and there are other drones. I was helping him to pick out the mavic. I have taken my drone down to his house to fly it.

If he's in a subdivision there are going to be other complaints. Drones use the Wi-Fi band. If he's jamming your drone he's jamming his other neighbors' Wi-Fi.

This isn't even a question. The FAA rules for hobbyists are guidelines, not laws. A Wi-Fi jammer is flat out illegal, and the FCC takes it seriously.

Reactions: V tail
i just googled drone jammers and jammers4u popped up. Totally selling jammers for private use. I read the first page and saw nothing about them being illegal. I so agree flying is not spying. I don't think people understand the image you get at 150 or 200 ft. I almost feel like going door to door in my neighborhood and telling people that i fly and if they would like a picture of their house or property or inspect their roof, I would do it for free. I'm just afraid that uptights would complain and it would put an end to my flight path.
I suspect they fall into that weird category of stuff that is legal to own but illegal to use.

I don't think people understand the image you get at 150 or 200 ft.

At 150' with a P4Pro I can read car number plates, count the boards in my neighbour's patio, even the Koi carp in his pond. Without too much difficulty I can work out what brand of beer he's drinking so 'spying' is a real concern for some people - especially those that really value their privacy.

If I'm flying with a camera near to property, I try and stick to the 150m rule we have for congested/populated areas here in the UK even though we are allowed to go in as close as 50m. I find this keeps people happy that have properties overlooking the beaches around here - by their properties location they have a reasonable expectation of privacy so I'll only fly at low tide and well away from their land - none of them have complained about my flying, other drone operators that think they can fly as close as thye want to these people's homes have been moved along by the police.

It's a hobby that needs compromise and sadly, as the ones wanting to use the airspace, it's us that needs to do the compromising.

I love how many ppl look at drones and think it's a bomb dropping spying machines. And then take it upon them selves to buy expensive jammers with absurd range and power.... now it's a bomb when it's tumbling down on top of someone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures