is it legal for someone to have a drone jammer.

Reaction score
I have a guy that lives about 1/2 a mile away. There is a huge wetlands directly behind his house. It is a very fun place to fly and do range checks. He recently purchased and is using a drone jammer. I asked him why he is using it and he says he dosent want any spying on his ****. I respect his privacy but the jammer extends way beyond his property. I am worried that my drone would land in the middle of the wetlands. Funny thing is he just bought his son a mavic. He says he unplugs it when his son is using his drone. I think thats kind of messed up.
What's your opinion?

Not legal in the US. Simple search reveals this:

Jammer Enforcement

"The use of "cell jammers" or similar devices designed to intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications (signal blockers, GPS jammers, or text stoppers, etc.) is a violation of federal law. Also, it is unlawful to advertise, sell, distribute, or otherwise market these devices to consumers in the United States. These devices pose serious risks to critical public safety communications, and can prevent you and others from making 9-1-1 and other emergency calls. Jammers can also interfere with law enforcement communications. Operation of a jammer in the United States may subject you to substantial monetary penalties, seizure of the unlawful equipment, and criminal sanctions including imprisonment. "

"The Communications Act of 1934
  • Section 301 - requires persons operating or using radio transmitters to be licensed or authorized under the Commission’s rules (47 U.S.C. § 301
  • Section 333 - prohibits willful or malicious interference with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. Government (47 U.S.C. § 333)"

my guess is it would depend on the legality of his jammer and your willingness to get into a fight when you might be flying beyond line of sight - you can only make a complaint if you are 100% in the right. He could also easily deny using any such device. I'd either come to some sort of compromise with him ir fly somewhere else.

This sounds more dangerous then helpful.what happens if you fly into the bubble of the drone jammer, and it takes your quad down?It's a good thing they're expensive.

The messed up thing is this guy is a friend. I have no idea why he is doing this. It will be a no fun conversation for sure. I wanted to make sure it was illegal before I said anything. How much would it suck for some kid (or guy) to put down a big chunk of change on a drone and then have it drop out of the sky because somebody had a jammer. I wonder how many people that post their drone "dropping" are actually getting hit by jammers. It's easy to find a site to buy them, just google drone jammer. Messed up.

Please keep us posted. These results could either help or hurt out reputations as "drone" pilots in the future, especially in your immediate area.

I have a guy that lives about 1/2 a mile away. There is a huge wetlands directly behind his house. It is a very fun place to fly and do range checks. He recently purchased and is using a drone jammer. I asked him why he is using it and he says he dosent want any spying on his ****. I respect his privacy but the jammer extends way beyond his property. I am worried that my drone would land in the middle of the wetlands. Funny thing is he just bought his son a mavic. He says he unplugs it when his son is using his drone. I think thats kind of messed up.
What's your opinion?
He needs to learn that flying is not spying,, respect his privacy BUT I be jamming something else if someone Jam me ,,:mad:,,just been through issues with neighbors about this ,,some people just suc

i just googled drone jammers and jammers4u popped up. Totally selling jammers for private use. I read the first page and saw nothing about them being illegal. I so agree flying is not spying. I don't think people understand the image you get at 150 or 200 ft. I almost feel like going door to door in my neighborhood and telling people that i fly and if they would like a picture of their house or property or inspect their roof, I would do it for free. I'm just afraid that uptights would complain and it would put an end to my flight path.

had no idea these devices existed. but can only imagine the list of " what ifs" for a jammers dangers far exceeds the "what ifs" list for a drone fly away dangers.

You could ask him if hes worried about his health living with a transmitter 24/7 sending emf signals at a power high enough to override the controllers signal... no idea if its anything real to worry about but might get him second thinking his decision to run it...

it's kinda tricky isn't it, if we remove the emotions. He doesn't want a drones flying (possibly illegally if they are not flying LOS) in places that overlook his property and you don't want his jammer spoiling your fun. The simple answer is to either compromise or fly somewhere else of fly within 500m of your transmitter and out of range of his jammer. You 'range testing' is (probably) breaking the rules and him (allegedly) using a jammer is against the rules - you'd need proof and to get that you would have to incriminate yourself - some fights just aren't worth getting into because nobody wins.

I have only flown into the space of the jammer once. i immediately lost signal and I got it out of there. I think I was just on the fringe of its range. Not sure if my drone kicked into rth and then I took over. It was weird. It was actually the night before I found out he had the jammer. I believe hes only had the jammer for a few days. Again his son just got the mavic. I find it pretty hypocritical that he said. I turn it off when my son flies his drone, then turn it on again. It's going to be very strange cause I really like this guy. I have no idea why he thought about doing this.

. It's going to be very strange cause I really like this guy. I have no idea why he thought about doing this.

maybe it's not just you he's bothered about - talk to him and reach a compromise - maybe agree to fly with his son?

Yes Andy, I agree. It' a double edged sword. I will say that the farthest I've flown is 1200 ft. Not that far. Range test probably wasn't the best choice of words.

I value my friendships with my neighbours :) I'm stuck with them, I can fly anywhere!

I don't believe it has anything to do with me. He lives in a beautiful subdivision and there are other drones. I was helping him to pick out the mavic. I have taken my drone down to his house to fly it.

I don't believe it has anything to do with me. He lives in a beautiful subdivision and there are other drones. I was helping him to pick out the mavic. I have taken my drone down to his house to fly it.
how about you go and see him, sit down over a beer/coffee and agree a 'no fly/exclusion zone' and then when you intend to fly, just ring him up and let him know - that way, if it's not about you, then you get to stay friends. He gets his privacy guaranteed and you get to fly - win win from my point of view :)

Reactions: pomonabill220

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures