Now need a tablet to fly it with!

Ah, maybe that was what he meant, doing something so that it could use GPS. They are certainly very good value for money but I think I'll have to stretch to one with the `gps built in, makes life easier and one less link to go wrong!.

My 2017 fire tablet did NOT need to be hacked to work. It works great with the DJI app and Litchi

So GO and Litchi are in the Amazon app store? Did not know that. Guess i need to dust off my old Fire tab and see if it'll work. Thanks

I await your verdict! I don't think the Fire tabs have enough RAM in them. I'm advised that you need at least 2Gb!

So GO and Litchi are in the Amazon app store? Did not know that. Guess i need to dust off my old Fire tab and see if it'll work. Thanks
@cheddarman

I don't have a Fire Tab, but I have never seen anyone here say they have used a Fire Tab with GO or Litchi without first needing to either side load the apps or by manually installing Google Play after enabling developer options. Again, I don't have one myself so I am only noting what I have read here many times before. It may currently be different, so if someone has more accurate/updated info please correct me. :)

Also, if you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners. Cheers!

Last edited:
I found Litchi in the Amazon app store, but I paid for it on Google Play and would have to pay for it again on Amazon to get it on this Fire tab. I tried sideloading a paid-for app on it once before and it didn't work.

DJI GO was not there. I could side-load it by backing it up on my current tablet and copying the .apk to the Fire... but I just don't think the Fire has the horsepower to run it, so not worth the time and effort.

Last edited:
I got the DJI GO for my iPhone SE from the App Store but when looking from my MBP it wasn't???

I looked up specs a out a year ago and it seemed the most important spec, for those on a tight budget like me, was the
2 gig of ram at a minimum.
I ended up saving money and finding a samsung tab s2 with the 8 inch screen.
I think it was about 300bucks.
If not the s2, i would have got the M3.

I'm a little confused by this statement 2Gb RAM minimum when if I look in THE LIST from above there are many of the preferred tablets an iPads with only 1Gb RAM, which are also much cheaper.
Is it ESSENTIAL to have 2Gb? I appreciate that the more RAM available, the faster and smoother a program will run and I should think that with everything DJI GO is doing it can use as much as is available.
Are there any dangers only having 1Gb?????

I'm a little confused by this statement 2Gb RAM minimum when if I look in THE LIST from above there are many of the preferred tablets an iPads with only 1Gb RAM, which are also much cheaper.
In general, an iPad requires less RAM to work well overall than does an Android tablet. There are a few reasons for this, but to keep it simple it mostly has to do with Apple's control of every device that runs iOS so the hardware and software can be very effectively optimized for each other. On the flip side, Android needs to support multiple manufactures and processor types so it is less optimized and needs more RAM to work well overall.

Are there any dangers only having 1Gb?????
My opinion is that for GO Before 4 which you need for your P3A, it's probably okay (but not ideal) for you to use an iPad with only 1GB of RAM. If you chose an Android tablet, I would not recommend less than 2GB of RAM. Of course, someone always posts with a contrary "it works great for me!" so you really need to take in all of the data points and make the best decision you can for your individual use case. Don't forget to think about the future as well. If you upgrade your drone you will need to move to the GO4 app and will likely need a more powerful device.

Last edited:
Thanks Oso, that's what I'm trying to do but at 80 my brain is getting a bit of overload! I can't afford to buy something that ends up not working properly or worse, causing my Son's drone too Mal function.
THIS is almost more than I can afford but it seems to have all the necessary RAM etc an d is on the list mentioned earlier on as being one of the favourite s.

Thanks Oso, that's what I'm trying to do but at 80 my brain is getting a bit of overload! I can't afford to buy something that ends up not working properly or worse, causing my Son's drone too Mal function.
THIS is almost more than I can afford but it seems to have all the necessary RAM etc an d is on the list mentioned earlier on as being one of the favourite s.
Just keep in mind that a Fire tablet runs with Android underneath but it is locked down and crippled by an Amazon overlay. It does not come with the Google Play app store installed, nor does the Amazon app store list the GO app for download as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Because of this, getting the GO app installed is not a case of just tapping a couple of icons. Yes, as you've seen there are people who use Fire tabs but they have bypassed Amazon's app lock down by installing GO via a method called side loading or by manually installing the Google Play store. Doing either of those options is not super complicated and honestly simple for an experienced computer user. It is something you can do yourself by carefully following directions. I'm not trying to scare you or discourage you, I'm just trying to make sure that you fully understand before you buy something.

Good luck sir!

Thanks again Oso, very helpful. My son mentioned something about having to do things to make GO run on a Fire. I'll keep looking, there's no hurry and who knows, Christmas is just around the corner :D

This is another one I'm looking at. Plenty of RAM, well 2Gb, and is on the list!

HERE

Could someone with the knowledge please help this old man out with buying a tablet that will run the DJI GO program. My iPhone SE is just too small for me to see details so must get a bigger screen.

THIS 8" TABLET seems to have all the necessary stuff but could some kind person have a look at the spec and confirm my thoughts that it should run the App. Obviously you will not be blamed if it doesn't work!!

Much appreciated....................

So I bit the bullet and bought the Lenovo Tab 3 8" TB3-850F Android Quad Core 1.3Ghz 2 GB 16 GB and am pleased to say that it appears to be running the DJI GO software OK. Haven't actually flown with it yet but in the house everything seems ok.
I did get the message saying that various firmwares needed updating, battery for one, so now need to work out how one goes about this!
Drone on the sofa next to me while I try the new tablet......
IMG_5097.jpg

Hi Thomas. Oh yes, way out of my price range but as I said above, I've bought a Lenovo Tab 3 8" TB3-850F and it seems to work just fine - £62 ($80)! As this is just a hobby there's no way I could justify two weeks pension on it!! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20