Now need a tablet to fly it with!

Reaction score
May son just gave me his Phantom 3 Advanced drone as he no longer flies it!!! :p He bought it when he flew the jungles of Papua to check out landing strips before taking the P6 into them so it has many interesting hours behind it!
Now I need a (cheap?) tablet/iPad or something to fly it with. My small iPhone SE is just a bit too small to see what's going on.
Not sure what the minimum spec is that I need to be fully compatible with the controller?
Suggestions would be appreciated...............

May son just gave me his Phantom 3 Advanced drone as he no longer flies it!!! :p He bought it when he flew the jungles of Papua to check out landing strips before taking the P6 into them so it has many interesting hours behind it!
Now I need a (cheap?) tablet/iPad or something to fly it with. My small iPhone SE is just a bit too small to see what's going on.
Not sure what the minimum spec is that I need to be fully compatible with the controller?
Great gift,,I use Samsung tab a6 10/1 and the sSamsung 8"" and a 32"" tv ,not on the compatible list but work just fine,I even update my 8""yesterday with the new go4 (had old version on it),work just fine ,djigo is getting bigger (649mb compared to djigo is326mb)get something with some extra ,my device has 16gb so more than enough
20181103_091959.jpg

Now I need a (cheap?) tablet/iPad or something to fly it with.

How cheap?
Android or Apple preferred?

My M3 (model name in signature) is a great mid-price Android tablet, very little bloatware which is easily removeable, zippy CPU, 4mb RAM, 32gb storage, micro USB port, fingerprint sensor, above-average screen, etc... very versatile... there's a lot to like about it.

Welcome to the Forum!

Lots of information on this web sight.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go-updated-daily.18

Rod

Reactions: Oso
Also happily using an Android M3 for DJI go, DJI go4 and litchi. No lag, bright screen (good enough for UK sunlight)

added for clarity: My M3 is
Huawei MediaPad M3 8 Lite 32GB - bought new for £159 (UK)

Last edited:
Many thanks guys, most helpful. I'm looking through all the suitable pads. Although iPads/phones are favoured, they are also expensive. WE are basically an "I" family, my son says that there are many adequate Android devices out there that will do the job - son I'm looking.
Had my first practice flight this evening, using my iPhone SE but only looking at the drone!

Um, looks good but quite expensive The Springs! Maybe I can find a second hand one somewhere! :rolleyes:

Just as a matter of interest, I have an old iPad MD368ZP/A - iPad 3 Wi-Fi + 4G 64GB.

The DJI Go loads OK but nothing happens when I plug the iPad into the controller, the program doesn't do anything. Is this because the DJI App isn't compatible with this old iPad or have I got to do anything before it'll run?

Last edited:
I get confused on iPad numbers, I don't even remember what I'm using, I will add it to my signature when I figure it out.

Does your phone and pad use the same cord?

Maybe this help both of us.
iPad - Wikipedia

Rod

No, two very different plugs. I have got two cables for the iP{ad and neither work.

iPad on the left, iPhone SE on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_5007.jpg
    IMG_5007.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 972
So what determines whether a tablet/iPad or whatever is suitable for running the DJI-Go program, what are the App requirements?

So what determines whether a tablet/iPad or whatever is suitable for running the DJI-Go program, what are the App requirements?

A9 or higher CPU

Reactions: RodPad
OKayyyy. At 80yo I'm still not much wiser :oops:

Looking at the Acer Iconia One 8, which is about my price range - the spec says:

Processor Brand: MediaTek
Processor Speed1.30 GHz
Processor Count4
RAM Size1 GB
]Computer Memory TypeDRAM
Hard Drive Size16 GB

Sorry to be maybe a bit thick but where does the "A9" come into it please??

Just found this one on Ebay and it says A33 so presumably it would run the DJI-Go OK? Great price!

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
I looked up specs a out a year ago and it seemed the most important spec, for those on a tight budget like me, was the
2 gig of ram at a minimum.
I ended up saving money and finding a samsung tab s2 with the 8 inch screen.
I think it was about 300bucks.
If not the s2, i would have got the M3.

Great, thanks for that photaz01, all good info. Yes I guess the program is very RAM hungry so I'll look along those lines for s second hand one!

Looking at the Acer Iconia One 8, which is about my price range - the spec says:

Processor Brand: MediaTek
Processor Speed1.30 GHz
Processor Count4
RAM Size1 GB
]Computer Memory TypeDRAM
Hard Drive Size16 GB

That's an Android tablet, and woefully under spec'ed.

Sorry to be maybe a bit thick but where does the "A9" come into it please??

Just found ... on Ebay and it says A33 so presumably it would run the DJI-Go OK? Great price!

That's also an Android tablet and won't even come close to running GO.

A9 is an Apple CPU, several generations old already. The A33 in that dinky tablet in your link has nothing to do with Apple CPUs.

With all due respect sir, I hate to rain on your parade, but you're not going to get a tablet that even barely works with GO for less than 100, and a suitable tablet (IMO) is going to run 200 or more. If you go too cheap on a tablet now, you'll be sorry later... save up.

Umm, thanks for that. This drone is my son's and I will not be doing any "serious" things with it, just a bit of fun, a change from my fixed wing planes. As a pensioner I can't justify £hundreds spent so unless I find a reasonable second hand screen that will work properly I'll just stay with my iPhone SE and use my glasses o_O

Cyber Monday/Black Friday I picked up an Amazon fire HD 8 for 40$.

It works great, the only issue I have is that it doesn't have a GPS chip so I have to WIFI hotspot it to my cell phone.

I was looking at Fire tablets but my son seemed to think that they had to be hacked to make them run the GO program. Certainly good prices!!

I was looking at Fire tablets but my son seemed to think that they had to be hacked to make them run the GO program. Certainly good prices!!

My 2017 fire tablet did NOT need to be hacked to work. It works great with the DJI app and Litchi.

Again does not have a GPS so you will have to hotspot off your phone to get location data.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic