iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

The new manual says that the BTU needs to be upgraded to V1.0.1.3 to work with the IPad Groundstation. I'm at V1.0.1.2. The new version isn't showing yet either. Anybody have luck with upgrading the BTU?

thelandman said:
The new manual says that the BTU needs to be upgraded to V1.0.1.3 to work with the IPad Groundstation. I'm at V1.0.1.2. The new version isn't showing yet either. Anybody have luck with upgrading the BTU?

No, Im stuck as well. Can't update the BTU or the Main Controller. I have installed the new 2.00 assistance appellation, but in the "Upgrade" tab there are no new firmwares to install.....

Had this email from DJI Europe

Hello,
We have had several e-mails about this.
It seems like the software is not unlocked on the Chinese server yet.
Please try again later or tomorrow.
It will work soon.

Cheers Rob

I received this reply today on my question that it didn't work:

"The update has been released a couple of hours ago, please try it again later until it´s been activated.

Thanks

Best Regards,

Technical Support"

Anyone have pictures of the ground station mounted on a Phantom 2 with gimbal? I wondering were all the stuff is going to mount and plug into?

FASTFJR said:
Anyone have pictures of the ground station mounted on a Phantom 2 with gimbal? I wondering were all the stuff is going to mount and plug into?

its under the mini iosd.

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 408
Ksc said:
FASTFJR said:

its under the mini iosd.

Thanks, what kind of flying time are you getting with everything attached?

17 minutes to a 25-28% remaining battery in GPS and light winds. I also have the Garmin GT10 in the garmin bag that hangs on the leg. its heavy.

Ksc said:
17 minutes to a 25-28% remaining battery in GPS and light winds. I also have the Garmin GT10 in the garmin bag that hangs on the leg. its heavy.

Nice, I've been playing around with the iPad software and I get most of it. I can't figure out how you get the "front" camera end of the phantom to point in a certain direction. For example say you wanted to shoot a lighthouse. Simple enough to plot it out but how do you get the camera to aim on the lighthouse in the center while doing a circle around it?

Ksc said:
FASTFJR said:

its under the mini iosd.

KSC, I understand the antenna of air side should be pointing at different directions by 90 degree with one pointing downwards. Yours are pointing at the same directions. Would this affect the range of your reception?

FASTFJR said:
Ksc said:

Nice, I've been playing around with the iPad software and I get most of it. I can't figure out how you get the "front" camera end of the phantom to point in a certain direction. For example say you wanted to shoot a lighthouse. Simple enough to plot it out but how do you get the camera to aim on the lighthouse in the center while doing a circle around it?

From memory you can program the GS to point the Phantom in any particular direction during any leg of its pre-programmed flight by entering the degrees (direction) of which way you want it to point. For example, lets say between waypoint 2 and waypoint 3 you want it to point toward a certain object, you need to calculate what direction that object will be in relation to the aircraft as it flies past. Lets say the object is going to be on the right hand side of the Phantom then you would program the machine to fly that leg at 90 degrees (assuming 0 degrees is due north) which will make it effectively fly sideways past the object allowing the camera to capture the images you want. In your case of a lighthouse, you would set it up with say 8 waypoints very close to each other circling the lighthouse and then adjust the degrees accordingly. You would set the waypoints as adaptive cornering which would make the Phantom smoothly circle the lighthouse and adjust its nose direction to film as it went.

As with anything like this, there will be a great degree of trial and error but hey, isn't that what keeps us all hooked on this great hobby?

Bye now.

Yes, you can, thanks.

I thought their might be a simple way to do it like using the way point icons, which is an upside down tear drop. Say the "Skinny" end is the way the camera is facing. Maybe being able to rotate that icon in the direction you want it to face?

PetePerrim said:
FASTFJR said:
Ksc said:

From memory you can program the GS to point the Phantom in any particular direction during any leg of its pre-programmed flight by entering the degrees (direction) of which way you want it to point. For example, lets say between waypoint 2 and waypoint 3 you want it to point toward a certain object, you need to calculate what direction that object will be in relation to the aircraft as it flies past. Lets say the object is going to be on the right hand side of the Phantom then you would program the machine to fly that leg at 90 degrees (assuming 0 degrees is due north) which will make it effectively fly sideways past the object allowing the camera to capture the images you want. In your case of a lighthouse, you would set it up with say 8 waypoints very close to each other circling the lighthouse and then adjust the degrees accordingly. You would set the waypoints as adaptive cornering which would make the Phantom smoothly circle the lighthouse and adjust its nose direction to film as it went.

As with anything like this, there will be a great degree of trial and error but hey, isn't that what keeps us all hooked on this great hobby?

Bye now.

This was not possible with the Naza V2 and remains to be seen whether they would have unlocked it on Naza V2 and Phantom FC with the recent update. While the controls on the app is available, the Naza V2 would ignore the heading command and always face the next waypoint during actual travel. The heading hold was available on the WK and A2 flight controller.

There is no technical reason why this won't work as a symetrical quad like Phantom/F450 etc.. can fly in all directions equall well Some believes DJI restricted it on the Naza V2 to help WK and A2 justify their higher price.

Is a 3S/6S LiPo battery the only option to power the ground end Tx? That means having to get the battery, plus digital charger, plus power supply...which comes to about $250 on multiwiicopter.com. Is there a more affordable option?

*EDIT* Just re-read OP's post - " ..and connect the power connector to your power source. Most people wire it to a spare phantom battery but you can pick any sort of 12V power source that you wish."

How do you wire the Tx to a Phantom battery?

rodemic said:

There's a number of ways, but the easiest is probably to use a couple of adaptors like these:

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=500
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=356

The first one will connect to the balance plug on the battery, and the second one will connect from that first adaptor to the power input on your groundstation unit.

Note that if you're using a PC to control the GS instead of an iPad, you can power it from the USB cable instead of connecting a battery (as long as your computer or laptop's USB ports deliver enough current).

rodemic said:
Is a 3S/6S LiPo battery the only option to power the ground end Tx? That means having to get the battery, plus digital charger, plus power supply...which comes to about $250 on multiwiicopter.com. Is there a more affordable option?

*EDIT* Just re-read OP's post - " ..and connect the power connector to your power source. Most people wire it to a spare phantom battery but you can pick any sort of 12V power source that you wish."

I was thinking about getting one of those car battery jump starters that have USB as well as other plugs to power the datalink ground end rather than buying a lipo. This would be a heavier solution though. Walmart sells a Schumacher 6 in 1 jump starter that has USB. The plus being you would be that the battery jump starter could be used for other things.

If I wanted to stay lighter/more portable, I would get a lipo.

Thanks for the suggestions - sorry, I assumed the OP meant batteries for the Phantom 2? Your suggestions are for Phantom 1 batteries...is there a solution for the 2?

I would plan to use an iPad - would a portable USB power pack work to power the Tx?

If it can be powered by USB via laptop maybe the PC Ground Station via Bootcamp on Mac could be an option. Anyone tried that setup?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj