INSURANCE

Just signed up with State Farm today. Didn't even have to go into the office. Just took a few pics of my P4P, made sure to include the serial #, emailed him the receipt, paid my $60 and done. Very easy process and yeah, it covers everything. Step on it, dog chews on it, theft, fly off, crash, you name it and it's covered. The one thing he did mention was that if something does happen and I have to get the drone replaced, they may not issue me another policy. It's still a hell of a lot better than the "insurance" that DJI is offering.

Last edited:
Regarding liability insurance, no homeowners policy will rarely cover any aircraft incident in the US. This has been well documented over the years. In the US of course. The Academy of Model Aeronautics offers liability insurance with their membership up to 2.5 million dollars. This is a secondary policy to homeowners which have been proven to rarely if ever cover liability in any hobby related incident. No ac coverage is included as in the State farm which is just the air frame , no liability.

Regarding liability insurance, no homeowners policy will rarely cover any aircraft incident in the US. This has been well documented over the years. In the US of course. The Academy of Model Aeronautics offers liability insurance with their membership up to 2.5 million dollars. This is a secondary policy to homeowners which have been proven to rarely if ever cover liability in any hobby related incident. No ac coverage is included as in the State farm which is just the air frame , no liability.

State Farm did offer liability for $115/year. I didn't ask how much it covered. I may look into it after a few more weeks of training in open fields. I would like to be covered if anything crazy happens. Drone falls out of the sky and lands on a moving car or something.

State Farm did offer liability for $115/year. I didn't ask how much it covered. I may look into it after a few more weeks of training in open fields. I would like to be covered if anything crazy happens. Drone falls out of the sky and lands on a moving car or something.
Interesting. Wonder what their coverage is like? Or try:
Join or Renew Your AMA Membership
this is the organization that lobbies directly with congress, and others such as the FAA ect. They are the reason we have protected frequencies and laws protecting the rc hobby over the years.
Thanks for sharing the State Farm info.

Interesting. Wonder what their coverage is like? Or try:
Join or Renew Your AMA Membership
this is the organization that lobbies directly with congress, and others such as the FAA ect. They are the reason we have protected frequencies and laws protecting the rc hobby over the years.
Thanks for sharing the State Farm info.

I did join AMA, thanks though.

There is another company I read about on this forum, but I can't find it. State Farm does NOT offer this insurance in my state and I want to find the other company. Anyone remember. It was not a company with a well-known name at all.

if you have a drone that cost alot, go to State Farm insurance and insure your drone for only $60 a year, thats right if it crashes, gets lost or stolen or anything else it is covered, i went to State Farm on 6506 Dental Lane, Ste 102, Fayetteville NC 28314 and see Alexandra Harrell she will hook you up the phone number is (910) 864-4868

$60.00 per year full replacement cost and Zero deductible , thats hard to beat !
I'm sure glad you posted this. I checked with my agent(we use State Farm for everything). The $60.00 is the minimum for a personal articles rider. My P3S is only $9 a year. $500. I can add another $7000 worth of guns, cameras, jewelry, or whatever and it comes up to $62 a year. That's sure going to make flying over the lake less stressful. She mentioned that she had insured two drones last week, and I live in a small town.
Eddie

Last edited:
I'm sure glad you posted this. I checked with my agent(we use State Farm for everything). The $60.00 is the minimum for a personal articles rider. My P3S is only $9 a year. $500. I can add another $7000 worth of guns, cameras, jewelry, or whatever and it comes up to $62 a year. That's sure going to make flying over the lake less stressful. She mentioned that she had insured two drones last week, and I live in a small town.
Eddie
Keep in mind that insurance companies all exchange claim information. One claim on a lost drone is going to increase your rates. Over time your rate increases will cost you far more than the cost of a new drone. And should you decide to drop State Farm, the company you're considering will know about your claim and factor that claim into your quote.

As stated earlier, it's not "drone insurance" rather it's personal property rider for property such as a camera. Petty claims drive up your rates. So if you do land your drone in a lake, it's going to cost you no matter what You can't win when it comes to insurance!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
IF its liability your interested in, serioulsy, try the AMA at 65 bucks.
I am mostly concerned about insuring the loss of my drone. I have DJI CARE, but if I can't recover the drone, that does no good. Someone on here told of an insurer OTHER THAN State Farm, but I can't recall it.

Keep in mind that insurance companies all exchange claim information. One claim on a lost drone is going to increase your rates. Over time your rate increases will cost you far more than the cost of a new drone. And should you decide to drop State Farm, the company you're considering will know about your claim and factor that claim into your quote.

As stated earlier, it's not "drone insurance" rather it's personal property rider for property such as a camera. Petty claims drive up your rates. So if you do land your drone in a lake, it's going to cost you no matter what You can't win when it comes to insurance!
Good point. I'm sure they're not going to lose money in the long run.

It's not a forgone conclusion. They will see a $1000 claim. This is not always going to increase premiums. But it certain is a possibility.

It is a certainty they will increase your premium.

I can only speaking of seeing hundred's of personal article claims resulting in no increase in policy premiums.

While the information is shared, personal article policy claims around $1000 are not a big deal to insurance companies who are attempting to be competitive.

I can only speaking of seeing hundred's of personal article claims resulting in no increase in policy premiums.

While the information is shared, personal article policy claims around $1000 are not a big deal to insurance companies who are attempting to be competitive.
I can only speak of what Mrs. LarBear, who works for State Farm, tells me. Go ahead, file a claim, make my day!

I contacted a local State Farm agent in NY state last summer to get a stand-alone Personal Articles policy for my Phantom after word started circulating in this forum. At first, he didn't know anything about "drone insurance", but I told him what I had learned in this forum. He made a call to his headquarters, then called me back after that and said, "Let's do this". This was all new to him so he was all gung-ho. Took some photos of the drone, recorded the S/N, and a gave him a copy of the store receipt for the drone. Cost me $60/year for full coverage for a lost/crashed/stolen/MIA drone up to the value of the Phantom and any attached accessories. No liability coverage, but that's OK. And, by the way, I do NOT have any other insurance policies with State Farm. The agent confirmed, you don't have to be an existing State Farm policy holder to get a personal articles policy coverage for your drone. What the agent told me was that, if you add a rider to your homeowners policy to cover your drone and make a claim (for the drone), chances are, your rates will go up. With a claim against a stand-alone Personal Articles policy, they pay your claim then cancel the coverage for the covered item. That works for me. Hope that clarifies things.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I purchased insurance on my Phantom 4 Pro from a State Farm agent in Fort Worth,Texas for $60.00 a year with coverage at the retail price. I have used State Farm for my Home and Auto insurance in the past but not now. My agent was helpful and encouraged me to invite my Friends to contact her for insurance on their Drones. State Farm is a very reputable firm. That works out to $5.00 per month, it’s a no brainer for me. My agent checked with her Underwriter and told me it was cover if it Flew away, Drowned, Crashed, or Stolen. She explained that for State Farm it is the same as if they listed a Diamond Ring. My agent is Linda Allen @ 817 236 7200.

Its true. I have a good friend that has his own State Farm insurance agency. Yup about $60 a year covers crash, lost, stolen. No deductible no depreciation. Just need make and model and approx value. Uniontown Pa.

Reactions: Fire Drone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic