Image Transmission Frequency

Reaction score
I started getting image transmission signal warnings on a Litchi mission recently at a not-very-far distance. So took a look at HD settings, which I haven't messed with until now. Found that the 2.4GHz band was selected. I understand that lower freqs have longer reach and higher freqs are quieter. Did a little searching on here and elsewhere and found some old posts about problems on the upper bands at very short distances, like 400 meters, but didn't find anything recent. Would be interested in hearing what actual performance folks are getting with 5.8GHz or the 5.7GHz selection.

Thanks........ Bob R.

Short answer: Use what works best for you, no matter what anyone says. Your results may vary depending on local crowding, terrain, etc.

Background: 2.4 GHz is VERY crowded so interference is very often a problem, more often than it might be above 5 GHz. The 5 GHz radios are configured to transmit with more power to compensate for the greater natural propagation loss at the higher frequencies.

Happen to know why there's both a 5.8 and a 5.7? Just an option for when 5.8 gets crowded?

Happen to know why there's both a 5.8 and a 5.7? Just an option for when 5.8 gets crowded?
I forgot to mention this also depends on what country you're in, because different countries impose different power limits on the two bands.

Two bands...

One is 2.400 - 2.483 GHz and the other is 5.725 - 5.825 GHz. 5.7 and 5.8 are not two different bands any more than FM radio at 98.7 MHz and 107.5 MHz would be.

Again, people will have different results, for a lot of reasons.

I can sit here and swear on a stack of Flying Spaghetti Monster gospels that 5 GHz is better and I can't make it 1000' out (on 2.4 GHz) without risking an RTH.

The fellow in this other thread here can tell you how much better 2.4 GHz is.

Doesn't mean either of us are "right" or "wrong".

One is right for me, where and how I operate.

One is right for him, where and how he operates.

One will be better for you. I can't guarantee which one that will be.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair