If im flying my p3 at top speed could it flip

Reaction score
If I'm flying my phantom 3 standard at top speed and let go of the stick real fast is it possible that it will flip?

First Question. Why?? Answer: Possibly, and loosing a prop from heavy braking likely. IMHO

If you fly at high speeds and stop quickly, you are putting stress on the motor mounts and eventually will create stress cracks. IMO there's no reason to fly at full speed unless you need to get your bird home quickly and even then the reduction of airspeed should be done slowly.

Let's just say it will stop really nice in P- mode. When I get a low battery alarm I bring it in low and practice in atti- mode. I do figure 8's and all sorts of stuff as fast as I can. I live in the country and have lots of room. Then when I have to land I bring it towards me and let off the stick. First time in atti - mode I learned a lesson the hard way. That thing shot by me and ------ well let's say I can never sell it as "never been crashed." It is a pretty tuff quad - copter. It made me super sick at that time. Don't get over confident.

If I'm flying my phantom 3 standard at top speed and let go of the stick real fast is it possible that it will flip?
No it's not at all possible.
All the flight parameters are controlled by the flight controller and it won't allow it to flip.
You can't make it exceed the designed limits.

Hi thank you for responding earlier I had just got my phantom about a week ago and am i wondering if it can flip if i fly it really fast and let go of the stick all of a sudden.Earlier when you asked why I am asking this,this is because when I do go really fast and let go I see the drone tip back a bit or a lot depending on wind conditions and how fast I go.I was wondering if you could answer this after more clarification on my part.Could you please tell me why it tips back a bit because it is a little scary?

There is no mystery here. Letting the stick spring back to the centre detent from full forward you are commanding the AC to slow from 16ms to 0 instantly. Ordinarily you would only perform this manoeuvre deliberately in an emergency situation, it is reasonable to expect the software engineers and AC designers share this view and have written flight control algorithms to command the propulsion system to stop as quickly as safely possible in these circumstances. Pitching backwards is the only known way to lose forward airspeed quickly.

The tipping back is the heavy braking I mentioned. You can adjust the braking parameters in the app, but until you get a bit more experience, I would leave it at the default settings. Changing this will cause the aircraft to brake slower, and also increase the distance it takes to come to a full stop. You could very easily run in to something at low altitudes. Personally, I keep braking a bit lower, because I don't normally fly fast, although I have tested different braking settings at high speed, just to ensure I know approximately what the braking distance is at that speed.Just in case I would need that in an emergency situation. If you do this often, double check the props. Although they are self tightening, slowing the motors very quickly could loosen them, and then....well you know what happens.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
The tipping back is the heavy braking I mentioned. You can adjust the braking parameters in the app, but until you get a bit more experience, I would leave it at the default settings. Changing this will cause the aircraft to brake slower, and also increase the distance it takes to come to a full stop. You could very easily run in to something at low altitudes. Personally, I keep braking a bit lower, because I don't normally fly fast, although I have tested different braking settings at high speed, just to ensure I know approximately what the braking distance is at that speed.Just in case I would need that in an emergency situation. If you do this often, double check the props. Although they are self tightening, slowing the motors very quickly could loosen them, and then....well you know what happens.
But do you think it is a good idea if your flying forward fast to just bring the left stick back slowly if there's nothing in my way

Yes, slowing it down with the stick slowly is a better method.

But do you think it is a good idea if your flying forward fast to just bring the left stick back slowly if there's nothing in my way
The Phantom moves forward by pitching (tilting) forward.
The way it brakes is by pitching backwards.
That's just the way it works.
It doesn't matter and neither method is "better".
What ever you do, your Phantom will be within the parameters it's designed to operate in.

I put my aircraft under maximum stress whenever I can to get the maximum thrill from it. These machines are very capable and I've travelled forward regularly at 45-60mph (tail wind) and figure 8 patterns with forced braking and love the ability.
If it can't handle these manoeuvres then it is not correctly moulded or designed.
Imagine buying a Ducati and being warned if you race it around in sport mode cracks could appear. It's simply then not fit for purpose.
If an AC isn't designed for those forces then the speed should be restricted or those manoeuvres prevented.
Don't get me wrong I'm no fool... I just want fun and adventure mixed with an adrenaline rush at times.

Last edited:
My observation is shared with that of @Fly Dawg and others who have tinkered with the active braking setting in the app- the AC is noticeably less aggressive in its response. While I suspect the flight control parameters are engineered to protect the AC (keep it within design limits) I have tuned mine down.

The other interesting point raised is that reducing the active breaking setting will likely reduce the likliehood of props spinning off. DJI's marketing blurb around active breaking states "
Active Braking
DJI ESCs support Active Braking, a feature that increases agility and conserves energy. Put plainly, what Active Braking does is to increase the motor's voltage when braking is initiated so that the time and distance before the aircraft slows to a hover is minimized. While the braking is happening, the motor is automatically put into generator mode so that instead of its mechanical energy being turned into heat energy and going to waste, it is turned into electric energy that is sent back to the battery, charging it up.

The DJI named "sine wave drive" is pretty much a Texas instrument application note implementation of one of their three phase motor drive controller SOC. it does provide for rapid deceleration of the motors (significant faster than a common BLDC ESC) increasing the risk of prop spin off at higher settings.

I fly it like I stole it every time I fly. Never had nothing crack. I think you should just enjoy flying and stop worrying about dumb ****:)

Reactions: stu2b2
If you're out flying and you have your braking set to 100%, the quad will come to a pretty abrupt stop if you command it to RTH. The quad will stop above you at the preselected altitude and drop down to the home point. If you back the braking off to 70% and initiate the RTH, it's still going to race in and stop above you then drop down but the stopping will be much more gentle than if the braking is set to 100%. Am I correct in my assumptions?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31