I was Narked on....

World is full of idiots.. Very paranoid Idiots....

You are very correct in the above. Idiots who have to push the limits and violate the "spirit" of the rules/regulations and enjoy violating law and rules/regulations.

The need to get some nice video overrides common sense and logic. It happens on a regular basis with people who only care about their own selfish needs.

sitting in the jail cell. Ask the bloke next to you what he is inside for. He replies murdering 30 people. Then he asks you the same question and you answer "taking photos of a waterfall".
Just write a letter back and say you noticed the drone too and thought the other people were flying it.
oh, also tell em you heard a rumour the ranger has kiddie pics.

Or just dont fly there :)

Reactions: Phantom Pirate
yea yea yea... Im aware about the restrictions. There is a small NFZ over the Dam just like most other Dams in this country. I don't hover over a Dam causing unwanted attention, I buzz on by high up. Just like the Cesnias see flying over it all the time. What started this, was I was in a area where there is no restrictions and I was filming a waterfall when others showed up in boats during my flight and decided to be "A" Holes about it. Instead of talking to me, they decided to call a Ranger. Even the Ranger never talked to me. I saw him, but at the time I thought he was just walking the area making sure people are safe. I left 30 min after he showed up. So he had plenty of time to come over and talk to me. Im sure he got the number off the side of my boat to trace my address then search for drone videos on You tube that matched my boat in the video... To correct that problem, in the future, any videos I put up will not show the place where I took off from and land and will not show the vehicle or tag, etc. and of course.. the title of the video won't say the location. People will have to guess where it was filmed. its sad that we have to do this in order to keep the whiners in check....In the meantime, I'm taking down all videos on my channel that show anything in question.

What is a "Just like the Cesnias"? Are you referring to a people aircraft, Cessna? If you are, then learn what you are talking about.

I appreciate you posting and letting everyone know the mistakes you made. Im sure you realize the citations were warranted and the possible damage you could be doing to the drone community as a whole.

I'd like to add something to this debate.

I'm not defending the OP's attitude. To show that I'll say to him (even though he's no longer listening): had you stopped at just asking your question then you might have just gotten an answer to your question. But you went on to editorialize about whiners and so forth. So you opened the door. You're right you should expect to ask a question and not get lectured. But it wasn't your question that got you lectured.

Having said that, the OP's beef is one that I can have at least some sympathy for. The search for his other video which showed a probable illegal flight was initiated as the result of a LEGAL flight. So, he's not doing anything wrong by the waterfall, a busybody calls a ranger to complain about a permitted and legal flight (something I think can annoy many of us). Instead of the ranger telling the complainant that there is nothing illegal going on, he appears to take on a multi-step investigation to see if he ever flew illegally. Then pass that information to other authorities. I'm not implying there is any 4A violation here of course. But going this far to dig up dirt because "he probably did something wrong at some point should probably concern us.

Also, I wonder if the ranger is really allowed to run the reg numbers without some probable cause or reasonable suspicion of a crime - which he didn't have at that point.

Anyhow. That's how I see it.

Reactions: BlueFalcon
BS? You flew in a restricted area and you're only concern is how you got caught?

Keep in mind you're used your "Get out of jail free" cards and further actions could possibly bring increased actions other than warnings.

To our knowledge no your contact information is not automatically sent to the managing facility of the area. Most likely someone saw your flying (it could have been the Ranger himself) and a little bit of research lead them to you... correctly so.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call for you to avoid additional interactions going forward. Fly SMART and fly SAFE!

Allen
Very politely put - I applaud you for that.

Sounds like someone is trying to bend the rules and also just plain breaking them.I am going to guess he will be doing some other violations and won't be flying by this time next year.If you look for trouble long enough you will find it.And if you go on forum where we share information and stories and disclose you violated rules.Don't expect anyone to agree with what your doing.One bad drone pilot effects the way public perceives all of us .So stay away from restricted area's and don't post illegal videos on YouTube.It doesn't matter if you hover or fly fast, stay, away from those sensitive area's.I have been flying for 3 yrs and a handful of times within one mile of airports.Always with permission from atc.If your not sure if you should or shouldn't fly somewhere don't fly there.If your going to fly in places just to be the only one on YouTube with video of that place Then your asking for trouble.Now you have been warned FAA just may contact DJI and look at your flight record's.Also if your not sure about a location look up what airport is in control of that area.Just give them a call and ask ATC if you can fly there.It doesn't have to be within 5 miles of airport. They will tell you if you can fly in certain places or not.Sometimes places are no fly but if you ask they may give you permission to fly.They may restrict you to 200 ft or something always best to ask nearest airport.If like this guy said no one at information booth and your not sure.DON'T FLY THERE!!.He knew he shouldn't have been there so he is looking to get a nice..$25,000.00. Fine..Maybe posting his fine on YouTube will get him the hits he is looking for..

Shame. Flying so low and conspicuous.

Next time be 5 miles away and approach at 1600 feet, Betsy will be safe, high and practically invisible, And you’ll be too far off to cite
WHY WOULD YOU FLY ILLEGALLY AT 1600 FEET? YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED 400 FEET. YOU RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US.

I would bet, most who don't fly by the rules aren't on this forum. I have talked to people that i have seen flying and asked them if they go on forums. Not one. All were flying beyond the line of sight. I would think that the loud few on the forums obeying the rules are it. If someone was trying to fly by the rules, he would want to be on a forum. That way they would be informed and up to date on what is happening. I know to fly wrongful and to be on this forum is self destructive. FACT

Gotta admit, these types of post are always surprising to me. Some one who does something that is generally widely known to be illegal, whatever it may be. Then getting caught and going online to complain about others who reported them or those who cited them. Then going on to state how they plan to do it again, but will try to be sneaky by breaking even more laws. These are the kind of actions that provide ammunition to the anti-drone crowd. For anyone to support those actions are, I think, totally unacceptable.

Two citations: one for flying over the dam, the other for flying in a Corps area. Both illegal.

Illegal to fly over dams and Corps land that is not within a NFZ? I see information advising against it, but this advice also includes industrial complexes. Do you have information on the law prohibiting it?

Illegal to fly over dams and Corps land that is not within a NFZ? I see information advising against it, but this advice also includes industrial complexes. Do you have information on the law prohibiting it?
Information? You fly, you should already be aware of regulations concerning drone flight restrictions. It is up to you to know this stuff, not to be surprised by them.

Man up princess! Do the crime.. do the time!!

I pay real dollars to shoot in National Parks and you are excactly the sort of two bit fly by night idiot that goes out and buys some old clapped out phantom, does nothing but winge and whine, an completely cheapens the industry for all of us that are out here making a real living out of it!!

Go back to whatever the other day job you used to make a cockup of was as you were obviously much better at it! Leave us real pilots to the job at hand...

Shame. Flying so low and conspicuous.

Next time be 5 miles away and approach at 1600 feet, Betsy will be safe, high and practically invisible, And you’ll be too far off to cite
I've previously stated the primary reason for VLOS is to make it easier to locate the pilot, for enforcement purposes, since that has been the FAA's greatest hurdle, especially in an area where you have clear LOS from much farther away, and can easily see any other aircraft approaching, but just not the drone itself. Looks like adhering to VLOS achieved the desired objective!

Reactions: MTO

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT