I NEVER Calibrated my IMU

Yup, you are correct Sir, for I meant to say, "check" everything in settings as updates might reset parameter choices. See post #14.
Was thinking ahead of myself. True.

RedHotPoker

Respectfully, watch this video and listen to his intelligent reasoning... Seems wise enough. No problem for me to do my recalibration procedures.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Another. For those who aren't familiar.
Besides, @dji can't even divulge what Is in the firmware or the whole Go app contents. And they are in the business to sell, not babysit. Just my thoughts. YMMV ;-)
A couple of interesting points to consider here.
What does the IMU Calibration do exactly

Anyway, I already have a perfect trouble free drone, and wish to keep it tip top, this way, peace of mind, is mine too. Ha

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Not so wise that DJI ever thought to recommend it - there's nothing about it in the manual or the DJI firmware update video you linked.
It seems to be a forum myth that's crept in.
Some users love to feel that they are doing things that make their flying better or safer.
Some of the things they do don't make any difference but because forumers keep advocating, others feel they should as well.

My belief (based on experience and observation) is that after updating, all you need to do is go back and check the settings that have reverted to default values.

I totally agree. Through 3 Phantoms I have never calibrated the IMU. P2V+, P3A and P4. All rock stable before and after firmware upgrades. But definitely check the values prior to each launch, and your custom settings after a firmware update.

Hey there, I hate to burst your conspiracy bubble, but I've had a titled horizon that has been helped with an IMU calibration.

And calibrating the IMU is indeed mentioned in the P3P manual I have here, page 52 under Initialization Errors.

Also, one of the Warning "Red Flashing Alternatively" indicators is listed as "IMU Error" in the manual. They don't call for calibration here, but hey, what else are you going to do?

Lastly, this isn't just forum user hysteria. DJI employees have recommended this procedure countless times (though not on this forum as far as I know).

But please, do continue to discount the procedure for all, and in public, based on your own personal / individual experience.

Chris

I totally agree. Through 3 Phantoms I have never calibrated the IMU. P2V+, P3A and P4. All rock stable before and after firmware upgrades. But definitely check the values prior to each launch, and your custom settings after a firmware update.
What ever they said here. Hahaha
IMU Calbiration Frequency - Offical line

RedHotPoker

Reactions: mikesmiley
I just added to that thread.

As I said, 3 Phantoms, never touch IMU calibrations. If it is that important then it would be in the manual. It certainly tells you about when to calibrate the front cameras on the P4.

If it is that important then it would be in the manual.
As I said, it IS in the manual. Twice.

Also, there's a WHOLE bunch of stuff on the craft and in the Go software that is not in the manual.

Me and the other readers here: "Trust DJI, who claims the procedure is useful legit, or this one person on a non-DJI forum?"

Kindly point out what page it says to calibrate the IMU.

Scrolling up to post #24 above, is this "And calibrating the IMU is indeed mentioned in the P3P manual I have here, page 52 under Initialization Errors."

And "Also, one of the Warning "Red Flashing Alternatively" indicators is listed as "IMU Error" in the manual. They don't call for calibration here, but hey, what else are you going to do?"

I guess do what makes you comfortable. I'm just saying rock solid performances with all my birds after every firmware upgrade.

I guess do what makes you comfortable. I'm just saying rock solid performances with all my birds after every firmware upgrade.

Same here, great performance from both of my birds all the time and haven't needed to do an IMU or Gimbal Calibration yet. But when I have a problem that these calibrations will fix, I will do them. They just aren't needed all of the time, simply for no reason, or a cure all. But they are a first step when having problems or after upgrading with issues.

Having a completely trouble free drone, from day one, has always been my secret weapon. ;-)
Sometimes wonder how it would have been, had I never done Any Calibrations? Thankfully, I've never had to find out. Ha
I did a quick compass calibration yesterday, before I flew.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Scrolling up to post #24 above, is this "And calibrating the IMU is indeed mentioned in the P3P manual I have here, page 52 under Initialization Errors."

And "Also, one of the Warning "Red Flashing Alternatively" indicators is listed as "IMU Error" in the manual. They don't call for calibration here, but hey, what else are you going to do?"
But absolutely nothing suggesting IMU calibrations need to be done after updates?
Lastly, this isn't just forum user hysteria. DJI employees have recommended this procedure countless times (though not on this forum as far as I know).
Unfortunately DJI people on their forum are sometimes not much better than the newbies they are responding to.
You'll find all sorts of misinformation over there mixed with some good information.

Maybe it's just me, but knowing that the option is there, and knowing that it's been recommended by DJI, and knowing that I've never read a good reason not to, I'm sort of at a loss as to why anyone wouldn't.

The compass doesn't fail at all.
A compass error is your compass telling you that you are in an area where the earth's normal magnetic field is distorted by a lot of steel nearby.
Most commonly this is reinforced concrete.
If this is the cause, recalibrating is the wrong response.
The correct solution is to move away from the steel causing the problem.
This reinforced concrete and steel nearby,keys in pocket, next to a car, flying near a steel structure blah blah blah, is a bunch of bull crap.
The compass is not that sensitive. If it was that sensitive it would never calibrate correctly at all, as there are 14 small but powerful MAGNETS in each motor, on each arm setting just inches from the compass. So the compass is surrounded by 56 strong magnets, yet you are not supposed to calibrate the compass within 100 feet of any thing steel. Makes sense,

Reactions: kphantom
This reinforced concrete and steel nearby,keys in pocket, next to a car, flying near a steel structure blah blah blah, is a bunch of bull crap.
The compass is not that sensitive. If it was that sensitive it would never calibrate correctly at all, as there are 14 small but powerful MAGNETS in each motor, on each arm setting just inches from the compass. So the compass is surrounded by 56 strong magnets, yet you are not supposed to calibrate the compass within 100 feet of any thing steel. Makes sense,

And yet it's usefulness comes from being able to reliably keep track a magnetic deposit half a planet away from most folks? Crazy!

I've had compass error over an underground garage and get all kinds of issues in my friends yard. He has a generator and a few machines, like a snowblower.

Sorry but that's very wrong and 100 feet is an exaggeration.
The influence of something steel will depend on its size and distance away.
A coin-sized piece of steel close to the compass might have the same effect as a car at 10 feet.
The compass is much more sensitive than you imagine.
Put a nail near it and you'll see the app flash Compass Error.

Iron and steel ships have been sailing the globe for almost 200 years now - and every one has a compass.
How do you suppose they manage to use a compass on a steel ship like this one?
DJI_0031d-XL.jpg

They call in an expert compass adjuster who compensates for the magnetic field of the ship with carefully placed small magnets and larger balls of soft iron.
The Phantom does the digital equivalent when you calibrate it.
Calibrating the compass adjusts the compass so that it compensates for whatever electromagnetic effects and any steel and magnetic material it's carrying so that it can tune in to just the earth's magnetic field and ignore the extra magnetic influences.

Calibrate where the earth's magnetic field is distorted by a car, reinforced concrete etc and this is the result:

I have gotten compass errors launching from concrete. Now I either launch from the case or bring a plastic step stool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.