I lost my drone (P3 standard) tonight

Wowzers. Makes sense. Oregon is hardly flatland.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank each of you that took the time to respond. I sincerely appreciate it. I realize this crash was pilot error, and wrote DJI as much (had an open ticket with them initially). I told them I was using Litchi from the beginning but followed up with the fact that this one is pilot error.

Also- Loved the posts with pictures in 3D 'fence' for my route. I'd gather this is google earth and would like to learn how to do this. Very cool.

Best Regards and thanks again for all the help!

-Dan

Reactions: Meta4
I just wanted to take a moment to thank each of you that took the time to respond. I sincerely appreciate it. I realize this crash was pilot error, and wrote DJI as much (had an open ticket with them initially). I told them I was using Litchi from the beginning but followed up with the fact that this one is pilot error.

Also- Loved the posts with pictures in 3D 'fence' for my route. I'd gather this is google earth and would like to learn how to do this. Very cool.

Best Regards and thanks again for all the help!

-Dan

It is from Google Earth, and it should be as simple as choosing "Export as 3D KML Path" from Mission Hub, but that does not always seem to work properly. Litchi creates a path relative to ground and assigns relative altitudes based on waypoint altitude, but gets it badly wrong at times, at least in relation to the DEM that Google Earth uses. For example, in the image below the red track is the exported Litchi kml path, which obviously does not maintain a constant 400 ft above the takeoff point. The yellow track is the same kml file, but modified to define the altitude absolutely MSL as the takeoff elevation plus 400 ft.

screenshot64.jpg

It is from Google Earth, and it should be as simple as choosing "Export as 3D KML Path" from Mission Hub, but that does not always seem to work properly. Litchi creates a path relative to ground and assigns relative altitudes based on waypoint altitude, but gets it badly wrong at times, at least in relation to the DEM that Google Earth uses. For example, in the image below the red track is the exported Litchi kml path, which obviously does not maintain a constant 400 ft above the takeoff point. The yellow track is the same kml file, but modified to define the altitude absolutely MSL as the takeoff elevation plus 400 ft.

View attachment 91495
Dang is that cool. Nice work.

OK, updated this post since yesterday with more data. I sincerely appreciate the help understanding where I went wrong. This is a good and supportive community. -Dan (updated post from 11/26 -- now 11/27 6:25pm pacific)

View attachment 91428 View attachment 91426 Hello folks-

Sad day for me. I live in a natural oak forest in Oregon. I've been flying for about 2 weeks in the DJI go app. All fine and very much enjoyed it. Tried my first couple of missions in litchi. Went fine. Thought I knew what I was doing. Did a mission hub for a 7 minute mission around my home and the drone lost signal and never came back.

So for the practical stuff:
- Is there any way to determine my drone's last position so I might be able to collect it?

In case curious: my mission had 9 waypoints all at 400'. My idea was to avoid hitting any obstacles of unknown height-- there are definitely trees nearby at 250'. My home has a large enough open area for take-off and landing. The mission was a loop ending right above where I started.

My theory of where I went wrong (just a guess). First my mission had do-nothing (must be default because I didn't assign it) at end of mission. This likely not a problem on its own because mission end was over my home location. I had a good home point and good GPS 11+ satelites at launch. My controller said disconnected after a minute or so of 7 minute flight (expected). My thought is I must of accidentally tapped a up/down/right/left stick near the time the drone lost signal-- causing it to hover (don't know). Since RTH wasn't selected (error on my part) in the mission, it likely hovered until emergency landling.

I don't really know what happened. I normally do lose video and later controller signal in my home area even in .5 mile area because of the tree canopy and terrain. Litchi shows a position for my drone. i tried to hike there tonight- very rough mountain terrain. Didn't make it.

So thoughts:
- Is it likely last position Litchi had is accurate given that it lost signal? i.e. If I really hike/climb to that location do I have any reason to believe it accurate? My concern is that this may be last position it had signal and not real location.
- In general is here any methods to find? My mission had 9 waypoints forming a circle with the last point where I started (also the H - home position.) I thought when battery got low RTH would happen but it did not.

Anyway, thoughts/advice welcome.

-Dan

PS: I'm running latest Litchi bought for black friday sale this weekend. Drone running one back firmware from 1.9. I had been alerted to 1.9 but was waiting a bit to see how people like.

And also FYI- I flew about 4pm today (11/26). It was daylight (mostly) when the craft was lost.View attachment 91427

Flight Log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Here's a link to the mission: Mission Hub - Litchi
Same thing happened to me and according to the flight log it ended up exactly where the flight log said it would be. I was flying it lower than the tree line and the drone was laying at the bottom of the exact tree the flight log said it would be. Good luck in your search.

That's a good lesson for all of us. From that, we should always "Export as 3D KML Path" and cross check our altitudes against terrain elevation. We have the tools, so why not learn to use them?

Meanwhile I am looking forward to see a post from Dan, saying he recovered his P3 from that information!

Gilles

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
First if all, let me say I hope you find your P3S. Second, the support on this forum is awesome. Third, I've been saving up for months and selling stuff on eBay to buy a P3P. I keep reading on this forum about all the fly aways. The more I read, the more nervous I get. I'm wanting to take real estate photos. I've got my 107. I'm hoping since my plan is to keep it in close and in sight that it will reduce the chance of a fly away?

I've thought about YOUR fly away. Have you looked at your last way point? Maybe it flew there and landed, possible in a tree? Though looking at some of the things others have shared, its probably further out and up in a tree.

I lost my $100 toy drone from loosing sight. I'm not a proficient FPV pilot. I'm wishing I had practiced it more. I could still have fun flying it while saving for a better drone. Last photo I took it landed in the top if a tree. I'm surrounded by forest so I only know the general direction it drifted.

I'm hoping since my plan is to keep it in close and in sight that it will reduce the chance of a fly away?

That should reduce the chance of having any problems.

It seems that the vast majority of "flywaways" reported on this forum are simply people flying OUT of visual line of sight (VLOS) and either crashing in to a tree or building, or getting so far downwind that they run out of battery before the aircraft can return to the home point, so they land in a tree or in a lake or something. (I didn't say ALL flywaways, just the vast majority.)

Anyone ever thought of attaching a Tile(the thing that helps you find your lost kets) to a drone?It might help in these situations is not too far off.

Just Mark thanks for the reply. I've been getting a LOT nervous about my coming purchase.

Chimsweep1 I started a thread about that very thing a while back. They only have a range of about 25 feet I think. Still if ya get close it would help ya find it.

First if all, let me say I hope you find your P3S. Second, the support on this forum is awesome. Third, I've been saving up for months and selling stuff on eBay to buy a P3P. I keep reading on this forum about all the fly aways. The more I read, the more nervous I get. I'm wanting to take real estate photos. I've got my 107. I'm hoping since my plan is to keep it in close and in sight that it will reduce the chance of a fly away?

I've thought about YOUR fly away. Have you looked at your last way point? Maybe it flew there and landed, possible in a tree? Though looking at some of the things others have shared, its probably further out and up in a tree.

I lost my $100 toy drone from loosing sight. I'm not a proficient FPV pilot. I'm wishing I had practiced it more. I could still have fun flying it while saving for a better drone. Last photo I took it landed in the top if a tree. I'm surrounded by forest so I only know the general direction it drifted.
I'd go so far as to say that there's no such thing as a flyaway.
There are rare malfunctions but most incidents are due to pilots not understanding how the Phantom works.

Sorry about the loss. I had my P4 crash in November when it lost GPS went into ATTI mode and drifted into a cliff, and then fell into a creef. If you want a P3 Advanced with 3 batteries and a case, make me an offer.

OK, updated this post since yesterday with more data. I sincerely appreciate the help understanding where I went wrong. This is a good and supportive community. -Dan (updated post from 11/26 -- now 11/27 6:25pm pacific)

View attachment 91428 View attachment 91426 Hello folks-

Sad day for me. I live in a natural oak forest in Oregon. I've been flying for about 2 weeks in the DJI go app. All fine and very much enjoyed it. Tried my first couple of missions in litchi. Went fine. Thought I knew what I was doing. Did a mission hub for a 7 minute mission around my home and the drone lost signal and never came back.

So for the practical stuff:
- Is there any way to determine my drone's last position so I might be able to collect it?

In case curious: my mission had 9 waypoints all at 400'. My idea was to avoid hitting any obstacles of unknown height-- there are definitely trees nearby at 250'. My home has a large enough open area for take-off and landing. The mission was a loop ending right above where I started.

My theory of where I went wrong (just a guess). First my mission had do-nothing (must be default because I didn't assign it) at end of mission. This likely not a problem on its own because mission end was over my home location. I had a good home point and good GPS 11+ satelites at launch. My controller said disconnected after a minute or so of 7 minute flight (expected). My thought is I must of accidentally tapped a up/down/right/left stick near the time the drone lost signal-- causing it to hover (don't know). Since RTH wasn't selected (error on my part) in the mission, it likely hovered until emergency landling.

I don't really know what happened. I normally do lose video and later controller signal in my home area even in .5 mile area because of the tree canopy and terrain. Litchi shows a position for my drone. i tried to hike there tonight- very rough mountain terrain. Didn't make it.

So thoughts:
- Is it likely last position Litchi had is accurate given that it lost signal? i.e. If I really hike/climb to that location do I have any reason to believe it accurate? My concern is that this may be last position it had signal and not real location.
- In general is here any methods to find? My mission had 9 waypoints forming a circle with the last point where I started (also the H - home position.) I thought when battery got low RTH would happen but it did not.

Anyway, thoughts/advice welcome.

-Dan

PS: I'm running latest Litchi bought for black friday sale this weekend. Drone running one back firmware from 1.9. I had been alerted to 1.9 but was waiting a bit to see how people like.

And also FYI- I flew about 4pm today (11/26). It was daylight (mostly) when the craft was lost.View attachment 91427

Flight Log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Here's a link to the mission: Mission Hub - Litchi

Hindsight is 20/20. I tagged my drone with my phone number. I got a call the next day from the golf course that I sent it over in a Litchi mission. The height at one point was set at 100 ft.- tree height. I should have set the default at 300 ft min. 60 dollars and 2 weeks later, I was flying again. I replaced the pitch and roll board and support bracket and cables. Always put your telephone number on your drone.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Note that the current Litchi will let you specify each waypoints height above the ground terrain. It is specified when the drone is at the launch point. I have done some testing, and it. Seems to behave as advertized.

Anyone ever thought of attaching a Tile(the thing that helps you find your lost kets) to a drone?It might help in these situations is not too far off.
There are GPS tracking devices available for drones. A bit pricey but I think would be worth it for people who like to fly long distance

Meta4 care to elaborate on what pilots need to know but don't?
Here are a couple of things to understand that would prevent the most common causes of lost Phantoms.
Never launch from a steel surface including reinforced concrete (it's half steel)
How the Phantom works, particularly RTH.
How wind affects flight, and that it is stronger up high.
Never fly away into the distance with a strong tailwind. It's going to be a hard flight home.
Be wary of losing signal from flying behind obstacles.
Do your early flying in a large, clear open area well away from trees, buildings and other obstacles
Set RTH to clear any obstacles between home and where the Phantom will be.​

And for the love of God.... know how to orientate and fly in ATTI mode!!

Reactions: Neon Euc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20