I lost it.. :((

No, because (obviously) everyone needs to be operating by the same rules. And since I don't want to hijack the thread by engaging an anti-government rhetorical argument that will close my comments on the subject.
Agree to disagree and I also will move on. Cheers!

Heres a link to the video ,it looks like crap on my computer .

Ouch. That hurts to watch. You can see the nice flight out then it loses the signal and stops. Waits three seconds, turns around and then we all see "The Building".

Arrrrrrgh.

The detective work by the guys here is very impressive for sure. Nice job in tracking it down and once again, thanks for posting the video.

Hopefully more people will get the idea to make sure the RTH altitude is "correct" after viewing this.

Good luck with your future copter flying.

AD

Can you post a screenshot of all your obstacle avoidance settings? Were you in P mode or sport mode?
P mode, and don't the aircraft needs to be on to see the settings that were used , I uploaded the flight record which was translated Id rather not pass along bad information that may lead to an accident ,if the other date flight log will help I'll be more than happy to upload that also..

P mode, and don't the aircraft needs to be on to see the settings that were used , I uploaded the flight record which was translated Id rather not pass along bad information that may lead to an accident ,if the other date flight log will help I'll be more than happy to upload that also..
Only thing I can think of, outside of a malfunction, is that OA or forward vision positioning was turned off.

I think the more detailed .DAT logs off of the bird (now that you have it back) might indicate the state of all options, but I don't know who besides DJI can decode them to that level.

Here's the 1st part of the video, it was a nice morning until.... Does it always split it up into parts ?

My tip is as you gain altitude from take off point, do a 360 degree turn as you climb before you move forward and make a note of the height of the tallest building as you climb. From this point open the menu setting on dji app and providing your judgements are reasonable then add another 30 foot to the height and use that as the return to home height and off you fly. That way you will know worst case scenario you will avoid the buildings etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tip is as you gain altitude from take off point, do a 360 degree turn as you climb before you move forward and make a note of the height of the tallest building as you climb. From this point open the menu setting on dji app and providing your judgements are reasonable then add another 30 foot to the height and use that as the return to home height and off you fly. That way you will know worst case scenario you will avoid the buildings etc.

That sounds like a great idea , I think I'm gonna be taking babysteps for a while after today , the RTH didnt really do what I thought it would do which is follow the same path I took to get there . I have no problem admitting I have a lot to learn

That sounds like a great idea , I think I'm gonna be taking babysteps for a while after today , the RTH didnt really do what I thought it would do which is follow the same path I took to get there . I have no problem admitting I have a lot to learn

For me this is the way forward as I would rather know my return to home (rth) height is clear of all obstacles, even better that as there is a bug in the rth feature at least when the craft is flown below rth height it also will not climb above this height and waste vital battery if at distance.

Here's the 1st part of the video
Wow, so much for the 'P4P has no range' mini-panic :D

As you know by now, a higher RTH altitude setting would have been appropriate. But still, looking at your return trip it appears that OA just flat failed. According to the manual the unit should have stopped and climbed vertically to clear the building. Are you certain you had it activated?

As to the split video, there is apparently still a 4 GB individual file size limit even though exFAT will support larger file sizes. Unless you meant 'does it always split up into parts' when it hits a building, in which case the answer is often yes.

Last edited:

well said, theres a lot to learn. while its always good practice to set your rth height, it would have been nice if it did follow its path out for sure...

also it might have been too dark for object avoidance.

e0e945c501cfc008c751d233070efb23.jpg
5e61b38398ec0bcbe6916c95b1387383.jpg

At least the battery didn't pop out!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The proper RTH altitude is 'higher than anything in your return path.'

And I'm not really sure if there is a separate setting for RTH OA or not, as per the question in my earlier post: I lost it.. :((

Last edited:
Reactions: bkushner
Awesome job Msinger and Meta4! This was the most interesting thread I've ever read. I read it from page 1 and let me tell you it was like reading a suspense novel. I hope if I'm ever in a situation like this I have you guys to help. I'm glad you got your bird back lickitysplit. You have one hell of a video now. Contact dji and you should be good. Keep us updated.

P.s. Msinger and meta4 have both helped me plenty on this forum. We truly are lucky to have them ;) We all owe them ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor