I Dropped my battery and this happened...

One of my favorite DJI Lipo blow up vids

Note the guy on the left who never drops his sandwich - in fact, he never even stops chewing

No. A bit more than twice that number.

Reactions: epicdoom
If you short out ANY electrical device you will produce heat.
Bigger battery = more power
If you short out even a pill battery it can create a fire, the moral of the story is to keep all batteries safe and keep the terminals covered ( a ziplock bag with individual batteries)
I take my camera on an aircraft and always keep my spares covered the same with the drone.

I'm 51 years old any fully aware of what the outcome was going to be. it was how I destroyed old batteries as just tossing a cinder block onto them would sometimes yield zero results. driving a nail into a lipo is not that big of a deal it wont Blow up like a bomb it will start to swell up then it will burst into flames you have more then enough time to back away from it. I now use a switch and wires to short them out which results in the same thing, they swell up and burst into flames. I have worked with Lipo cells since they came on the market so I have a good handle on what I'm doing with them. I used to keep them in my home in a safe when I need to store them. I've since installed heat in my garage and now keep them in a safe out there. I have close to 100 cells total

Reactions: N017RW
I'm 51 years old any fully aware of what the outcome was going to be. it was how I destroyed old batteries as just tossing a cinder block onto them would sometimes yield zero results. driving a nail into a lipo is not that big of a deal it wont Blow up like a bomb it will start to swell up then it will burst into flames you have more then enough time to back away from it. I now use a switch and wires to short them out which results in the same thing, they swell up and burst into flames. I have worked with Lipo cells since they came on the market so I have a good handle on what I'm doing with them. I used to keep them in my home in a safe when I need to store them. I've since installed heat in my garage and now keep them in a safe out there. I have close to 100 cells total

Wholly smokes!

The average adult human brain has about 100 billion cells......sorry you left yourself wide open for that one lol

View attachment 90169 View attachment 90170 View attachment 90171

Soo... yea. Only the outer casing is cracked, doesn't appear to be swollen. Dropped it from around 2-3'. Did notice this a while ago (see image below), may have been like this when I got it with my drone (bought it second hand). Never had any issues. I will keep an eye on it and continue to monitor the voltage and whether it is swollen or not, etc.

View attachment 90172
Unless it's not sliding in or out well mechanically to the Phantom I wouldn't do anything to the battery and just leave it as is if it is still working well.

Reactions: With The Birds
When LIPO’s first came out for the radio controlled airplanes we used to put them in steel ammo cans when we recharge them saved a couple house fires
But that was a long time ago I’m sure they’ve corrected most of those problems

Charging has historically been the most dangerous phase [for any battery???] since they can easily be left unattended.

Modern chargers now have advanced monitoring algorithms to help prevent over charging/heating/etc.

My local Hobby store has hundreds, if not dozens, sitting on the shelf or in inventory at any given time seemingly illustrating there is little chance of spontaneous combustion (i.e. a time-bomb).

My understanding is the steel ammo cans are not best unless holes are drilled into it so that it's well ventilated. Without ventilation, a flame can shoot long and far out of whatever small vent is found in the canister.

My understanding is the steel ammo cans are not best unless holes are drilled into it so that it's well ventilated. Without ventilation, a flame can shoot long and far out of whatever small vent is found in the canister.

It really depends on whether the ammo box can handle the pressure increase from the event. Some of the energy liberated from a LiPo fire is internal oxidation/reduction reactions involving lithium that produce plenty of heat but little gas. The gas phase (flame producing) reactions mostly involve the flammable electrolyte I think, and those require atmospheric oxygen, so good ventilation makes that worse. Bottom line - without actually testing specific battery/container combinations there is probably no simple answer.

Charging has historically been the most dangerous phase [for any battery???] since they can easily be left unattended.

Modern chargers now have advanced monitoring algorithms to help prevent over charging/heating/etc.

My local Hobby store has hundreds, if not dozens, sitting on the shelf or in inventory at any given time seemingly illustrating there is little chance of spontaneous combustion (i.e. a time-bomb).
Exactly right Charging has come a long way and so has safety devices used to prevent issues with these cells. back in the day they were bare had zero protection circuitry and many folks burned down homes leaving them charging unattended and over charging/discharging them. one story from a guy who was a regular on RC groups had just came in from flying a plane where he completely exhausted the battery, he tossed the plane on his bed and ran back out the door to go to the store. when he arrived back into his neighborhood he was met with the fire dept. and a burned home. a week later fire investigator determined the fire started on the bed where only the RC plane was laying. the over discharge had started an event where the battery slowly expanded and eventually ruptured this was mostly due to the heat that wasn't given an escape path because he left it in the plane. so two mistakes were made first mistake was continuing to fly when the low voltage warning was going off on the plane and second was not removing the battery and leaving outdoors to cool off because he over discharged it.

Todays batteries have good protection if you buy good batteries. if you buy cheap batteries then you get what you pay for cheap battery and cheap protection that may or may not work. If I remember right it became mandatory that protection circuits be installed because of all the issues. That all said your still dealing with an electronic circuit that can fail and lets face facts almost all are made in china so that chance increases greatly especially with non reputable suppliers. Full River is a brand of battery and a fairly decent one in fact many batteries produced for RC use are made by Full River and branded by what ever company sells them exide, tenergy just to name a couple. then there are batteries made by full river that don't make the cut those batteries are many times bought by fly by night companies and false branded with reputable company names and highly inflated mAh ratings. and this even happens with Li-ion batteries as well. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic all reputable, but they're factory seconds get sold off companies buy them brand them with such names as trustfire, ultrafire, Efest and a host of other names, they inflate ratings to make them look better then other batteries like I saw an 18650 cell advertised as having 5000 mAh that's Impossible because then it wouldn't be an 18650 cell you cant pack that much power into that size battery PERIOD. I have seen these batteries with so called protection circuits, I remove the covering and find a common washer to represent a PCB board, and I've even found AA batteries wrapped tightly in paper and washers added to give it length and Diameter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT